SiouxSports.com Forum

EWU Game Day!

Mama Sue

54 minutes ago, Irish said:

The story of the Bubba era - Enough talent each year to be hopeful and take care of most of the cupcakes, but usually with a serious weakness that costs us against good teams.  It's almost always the QB and now the undersized lines, but for a while it was the DBs - especially the corners.  Special teams are always crappy.  I think recruiting is a bigger problem than we realize.  Add in some head-scratching coaching decisions - game decisions, schemes, and personnel and you have a thoroughly mediocre program.   In spite of this there are many crucial games that we could have won had we made key plays, made adjustments, called a better offensive game, not gotten a punt blocked or turned the ball over.  The fact that this happens so often is alarming.

It is definitely the story of the bubba era.  There have been numerous could’ve, would’ve should’ve s year after year after year after year.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UND1983 said:

It was a 28-20 game and UND had the ball in EWU territory. six turnovers, missed xp and no run defense for 30 minutes.....all of that and they were down 8 in the 4th quarter.  sucks how bad they screw up momentum every year.  

It's almost an art how Bubba and company kill momentum. It's borderline laughable now. 

• Upvote 1

For anyone that actually watched the game please tell at what point during the game did you think UND was the better team? Just curious.

It's like some UND fans saying UND hung with NDSU for a half.

At some point you are what you are based on how you perform. 

If I'm way off on this some one please pass me a glass of Kool-Aid.

13 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

For anyone that actually watched the game please tell at what point during the game did you think UND was the better team? Just curious.

On Saturday there was no point when I thought UND was the better team. I can see how people (me included) think it was a game they could have and probably should won. I don't think those things have to be mutually exclusive. If you play that game 100 times, I'm not sure offensively they possibly could have turned over the ball more than they did.

30 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Does the better team always win?  I saw a game that UND actually had a minor chance to win if Ketteringham doesn't throw yet another interception.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

The entire second half, even with numbnuts at qb. We’re still short on athletes and dudes and athletic dudes though.

5 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

The 3-4 works with a few 300+ lbers in the middle and Dudes at both D ends.  Also, we used to have size at outside backer. 

Currently, we have a small nose guard and the backup is even smaller, a 220 D End and Bennett with a few backups around 240 lbs.  On top of that, 2 small outside backers.  I don't see how we let things get to this........

Roster Management........needs work. 

I know a guy who coaching at the college level and he stopped at the ND and SD schools this fall so they could put a face with his name for future opportunities.

He wondered why the UND d-line coach was working with the linebackers but then realized they were our d-lineman. 

Last Saturday you could tell who the better team was. It was the team that had scored the most points when the game was over. You could also tell who wanted to play winning football looking at body language. The guys in white sauntered up to the line of scrimmage like they weren't so sure about things, especially in the first half.  The players in red broke from their offensive hurdles and moved up to the line of scrimmage enthusiastically.  Had the body language been the reverse , the guys in white may have been the better team.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TBR said:

Last Saturday you could tell who the better team was. It was the team that had scored the most points when the game was over. You could also tell who wanted to play winning football looking at body language. The guys in white sauntered up to the line of scrimmage like they weren't so sure about things, especially in the first half.  The players in red broke from their offensive hurdles and moved up to the line of scrimmage enthusiastically.  Had the body language been the reverse , the guys in white may have been the better team.

The intensity we played with in the first half looked like the 2013 Mussman team.

5 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Apathy will be king before this season ends.

sad, but true. I'll still watch, and I'll still cheer, but it is tough to have high hopes when the program lacks proper leadership.

I actually though Bubba should have been gone before this year. He could have fired Rudy a year earlier, but chose to hold on to a guy that couldn't do the job. At that point he was just as much at fault as Rudy was. Getting rid of Rudy when he did was a year too late as far as I am concerned. 

Now Chaves will be in a similar position. Is he willing to make a change, or let the coaching issue linger longer than it needs to. If you can get the right coach, you can change a program fairly quickly. UND has just had an issue with finding that right coach.

7 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

sad, but true. I'll still watch, and I'll still cheer, but it is tough to have high hopes when the program lacks proper leadership.

I actually though Bubba should have been gone before this year. He could have fired Rudy a year earlier, but chose to hold on to a guy that couldn't do the job. At that point he was just as much at fault as Rudy was. Getting rid of Rudy when he did was a year too late as far as I am concerned. 

Now Chaves will be in a similar position. Is he willing to make a change, or let the coaching issue linger longer than it needs to. If you can get the right coach, you can change a program fairly quickly. UND has just had an issue with finding that right coach.

Rudy is gone and we still have the same issues.   It makes me think the problems run higher and deeper than just Rudy.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Hawkster said:

Rudy is gone and we still have the same issues.   It makes me think the problems run higher and deeper than just Rudy.

Well maybe, but I'm not ready to put offensive woes on Freund at this point either. To your point, it goes higher, and I think a lot of that is Bubba and recruiting. O line is still a problem, D line is way to small. QB has never been emphasized.