SiouxSports.com Forum

EWU Game Day!

Mama Sue

This game belonged to UND.   Turnovers by UND gifted this game to EWU.   and 5 Sacks.

UNDFootball360 @UNDFootball360

Replying to @boucher_roberto @SeamoreSports

He was directly involved in all 6 turnovers, whether completely his fault or not. That cannot be denied. Certainly the weather was not conducive to a huge day but the fact is they had six turnovers and EWU had zero.

10:47 PM - Sep 28, 2019

Twitter Ads info and privacy

See UNDFootball360's other Tweets

I wouldn't be at all surprised if UND gives Davis a close game or actually defeats Davis. The problem is consistency.  UND just has never been able to perform at a high level week in week out at the FCS level with 2016 being somewhat of an exception. Ketteringham was ineffective toward the end of last season. I'm not sure why the coaching staff concluded his sub-par play was behind him because by all appearances it is not.

13 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

This game belonged to UND.   Turnovers by UND gifted this game to EWU.   and 5 Sacks.

He was directly involved in all 6 turnovers, whether completely his fault or not. That cannot be denied. Certainly the weather was not conducive to a huge day but the fact is they had six turnovers and EWU had zero.

Of course a Kett fan is trying to explain why they aren't his fault.  The offense he led had six turnovers - fact. 

6 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Of course a Kett fan is trying to explain why they aren't his fault.  The offense he led had six turnovers - fact. 

I don't see the twit as explaining away the turnovers as not Kett's fault.  Almost all were his fault.  Not sure on the exchange between Kett and Gee.

The problem I see is Kett is not elusive in the pocket.  Tommy is.  Kelly Howe mentioned in their podcast that Tommy might see some game in EWU.  

Tommy should start against UCD.

Story of the game for UND is 6 turnovers. Awful.

You won’t win doing that. 

Turnovers are partially because of coaching (scheme to protect the ball or lack thereof) but mostly due to poor execution. Ketteringham played a bad game. First game playing with the knee injury so I bet he improves, but it still just wasn’t good enough from the QB position yesterday for a win. If Ketteringham can’t protect the ball, then UND will have to try Schuster - he actually protected the ball against SHSU. Still, the QB situation is not ideal and UND desperately needs a couple new players at that position for next year.

The next thing is run defense and run offense. 6 years into the Bubba era and the offensive and defensive lines are still not nearly good enough. It showed yesterday in the weather conditions. I’m most concerned about this. 

UND needs better players at QB. Offensive line and defensive line need to be better. The skill position players are a step too slow. Plenty of concerns remain from a talent/recruiting standpoint. 

43 minutes ago, Goon said:

I am pissed by yesterday's effort. I think the defense gave the team a chance to win and they pissed it away. 

Agreed, defense cam out slow but hung in there as the game went on. Offense was pathetic and the coaches made zero adjustments to change that. To be fair, the offense did make a nice attempt at a comeback but under no circumstance should a team ever have that many turnovers.

I don’t think we can be surprised that our qb and wr play is poor.  First, from a recruiting standpoint, what interest are you going to get from top recruits at those positions when all you hear out of Bubba year after year is “4 yards and a cloud of dust.”  Kenny Golladay left because the program would never have utilized his abilities.  In the first half, Kett was averaging 2.5 yards per (rare) completed pass.  For years, we have refused to stretch the field, although Danny certainly has been better and could possibly change that reputation.  What qb or wr with top talent dreams of every catch at or within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage.  We have receivers that all fit the same mold.  Tall receivers that can’t separate. Again, difficult to recruit downfield threats when they would never expect to see a ball downfield  We have shifted to a pass first scheme this year but don’t have the personnel to match.  Kett has never been that guy and certainly was not ready for EW game. Tommy showed glimpses of what can be done in that scheme.  If they really go back to Kett again, Chaves will almost be at the point of stepping in.  Love Bubba for all of his good traits, but there comes a time when he has to step forward and be a good coach which includes making the right personnel decisions - not just the union mentality of seniority...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TBR said:

I wouldn't be at all surprised if UND gives Davis a close game or actually defeats Davis. The problem is consistency.  UND just has never been able to perform at a high level week in week out at the FCS level with 2016 being somewhat of an exception. Ketteringham was ineffective toward the end of last season. I'm not sure why the coaching staff concluded his sub-par play was behind him because by all appearances it is not.

This reply tells all you need to know about bubba and this staff on talent evaluation.  Looks like bubba took after his old boss after all.  He was a terrible hire who should be coaching at Mary but I don’t think the UND athletic department has the stones to fire a UND guy. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, jakeh41 said:

This reply tells all you need to know about bubba and this staff on talent evaluation.  Looks like bubba took after his old boss after all.  He was a terrible hire who should be coaching at Mary but I don’t think the UND athletic department has the stones to fire a UND guy. 

Weii the real question is:

Does UND want to become the Mary of our conference?

If no, then money and “stones” come into play. By money I mean public (coach salaries and scholarships) snd private (phase 2 and some highly visible sponsorships at the Alerus). No one should have to define “stones.”

If ok, or where we are now (apathy), then continue as is.

I am not sure this is JUST a head coach issue.........really more AD and admin.......

Five years ago I would read the top high school athletes and the colleges they were going to.... make and female.... maybe 5 to 8 listed UND.... now it is 1 to 3..... not just a head coach issue.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Story of the game for UND is 6 turnovers. Awful.

You won’t win doing that. 

Turnovers are partially because of coaching (scheme to protect the ball or lack thereof) but mostly due to poor execution. Ketteringham played a bad game. First game playing with the knee injury so I bet he improves, but it still just wasn’t good enough from the QB position yesterday for a win. If Ketteringham can’t protect the ball, then UND will have to try Schuster - he actually protected the ball against SHSU. Still, the QB situation is not ideal and UND desperately needs a couple new players at that position for next year.

The next thing is run defense and run offense. 6 years into the Bubba era and the offensive and defensive lines are still not nearly good enough. It showed yesterday in the weather conditions. I’m most concerned about this. 

UND needs better players at QB. Offensive line and defensive line need to be better. The skill position players are a step too slow. Plenty of concerns remain from a talent/recruiting standpoint. 

This is unfortunately true...

6 years into the Bubba era and I can only think of 1 position group that is actually better than it was with the previous staff and that is cornerback. My question is why? 

A. Not able to land the better recruits?

B. Not identifying which recuits are actually better than others?

C. Not Developing the recuits they get?

D. All the above?

The fact is that the QB position has been bad for a long time here. Even more obvious is the offensive and defensive lines have been very weak. We need bigger, stronger linemen. I am so tired of watching this same problem continue year after year...

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Tangolou said:

This is unfortunately true...

6 years into the Bubba era and I can only think of 1 position group that is actually better than it was with the previous staff and that is cornerback. My question is why? 

A. Not able to land/retain the better recruits?

B. Not identifying which recuits are actually better than others?

C. Not Developing the recuits they get?

D. All the above?

The fact is that the QB position has been bad for a long time here. Even more obvious is the offensive and defensive lines have been very weak. We need bigger, stronger linemen. I am so tired of watching this same problem continue year after year...

Made a change to your A question but my answer is all of the above. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

Dont see how the game belonged to UND???

They ran the ball up your back side to the tune of 284 yards and 377 total yards.  And they are not a very good team.  This was like watching  the old pro wrestlers Kenny Jay battle George Scrap Iron Gadasky.

I see no changes in your program until you clean house. Bubba is terrible. Reminds me of Gomer Pyle.

5 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

They ran the ball up your back side to the tune of 284 yards and 377 total yards.  And they are not a very good team.  This was like watching  the old pro wrestlers Kenny Jay battle George Scrap Iron Gadasky.

I see no changes in your program until you clean house. Bubba is terrible. Reminds me of Gomer Pyle.

2 minutes ago, bison73 said:

Your sister is calling.

EDbgfv4X4AAezrK.jpg.e434053c7cf62b67225031f5759fe3f9.jpg

My thoughts on a potential new coaching staff for next year. 

Head Coach - Bodie Reeder (ties to Eastern Washington, currently at North Texas)
Offensive Coordinator- Freund (Good potential, relationship with current offensive recruits, developed schuster pretty well)
OL - Pawlak (have some good recruits coming in next year)
Defensive Coordinator- defensive position coach from NDSU.
DB- Stepps (#1 pass defense)

Everyone else is new hires.