SiouxSports.com Forum

EWU Game Day!

Mama Sue

6 hours ago, bison73 said:

Dont see how the game belonged to UND???

They ran the ball up your back side to the tune of 284 yards and 377 total yards.  And they are not a very good team.  This was like watching  the old pro wrestlers Kenny Jay battle George Scrap Iron Gadasky.

I see no changes in your program until you clean house. Bubba is terrible. Reminds me of Gomer Pyle.

People don't want to hear this from a Bison fan, on a UND board, after a terrible terrible loss... but that doesn't make your point wrong. UND absolutely needs to clean house. Fortunately, I think Chaves is a better person to hire a new coach than Faison was. At least Chaves comes from a school that has had success.

That being said, the reason it was UND's game to have was that we didn't so much get pummeled by EWU as we beat ourselves with poor play and turnovers. UND absolutely could have won that game. Not sure if the weather would have mattered or the location would have made a differnce, but the bottom line is UND didn't get it done.

I wanted Bubba gonna before last season... He lost me when he didn't can Rudy before last season.

Kett has been a major disappointment. I have back the guy longer than most on this board, but this weekend's performance was just gutless.

JJ has had his moments, but overall has shown why he did not remain at a Big10 school. 

I still see some talent on this team, but until it is used correctly we remain awful. Running Maag on a jet sweep instead of McKinney ... I will never understand not using your speed.

This all looks very different if you beat UC Davis, but that will require a different team to show up.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

People don't want to hear this from a Bison fan, on a UND board, after a terrible terrible loss... but that doesn't make your point wrong. UND absolutely needs to clean house. Fortunately, I think Chaves is a better person to hire a new coach than Faison was. At least Chaves comes from a school that has had success.

That being said, the reason it was UND's game to have was that we didn't so much get pummeled by EWU as we beat ourselves with poor play and turnovers. UND absolutely could have won that game. Not sure if the weather would have mattered or the location would have made a differnce, but the bottom line is UND didn't get it done.

I wanted Bubba gonna before last season... He lost me when he didn't can Rudy before last season.

Kett has been a major disappointment. I have back the guy longer than most on this board, but this weekend's performance was just gutless.

JJ has had his moments, but overall has shown why he did not remain at a Big10 school. 

I still see some talent on this team, but until it is used correctly we remain awful. Running Maag on a jet sweep instead of McKinney ... I will never understand not using your speed.

This all looks very different if you beat UC Davis, but that will require a different team to show up.

Our team started out with no fire. Blown off the ball on both sides. Bubba is a great guy but he just doesn’t seem to get the guys going the way they need.

2 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Our team started out with no fire. Blown off the ball on both sides. Bubba is a great guy but he just doesn’t seem to get the guys going the way they need.

Couldn't agree more. Its actually not that different from Brad Berry ... seems like a great guy, but I don't want a coach that is a great/nice guy, I want a coach that recruits better that the next guy and wins. 

I'll give Berry this season to show some improvement, but Hak was 10x the coach that Berry has been. 

As for football, the only competent coach I have seen in my time a a fan was Lennon. Could he have led us through the transition to D1, maybe, probably better than Muss or Bubba. Would have gone a lot better if we had moved up at the same time as NDSU. Regardless, what do we do moving forward. Time to go find a new guy.

Short of making a run and winning it all, I'm done with the Bubba regime.

49 minutes ago, shep said:

In light of the current salary structure and the sad truth that this is not the top job in our state much less conference, who would really want it? 

I agree that it's important to nab an SU assistant to become a coordinator.

Problem is NDSU positions coaches probably make as much as a coordinator at UND. 

1 hour ago, petey23 said:

He would be a spendy hire now. he is making 800k/year as Offensive Coordinator at Indiana with potential bonuses pushing his salary over a million/year.

That ship has sailed (after only 6 years), which highlights the enormity of the mistake made by Faison during December 2013. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Yep.  That’s why you hire the young guys that show potential.  

It would be nice to someday lose a football or basketball coach because their talents have outgrown our budget. 

EXACTLY.

Hoping Paul Sather (who isn't necessarily young - sorry Coach) works out for Men's basketball in the sense he is an up-and-comer from Division II now getting his first shot at DI basketball. 

UND football needs a similar hire. A coach that has demonstrated great accomplishment at a lower level (DII head coach or FCS coordinator) but just needs the opportunity to excel as a DI head coach. It is okay to treat UND as a stepping stone because it means UND will be successful. 

NDSU football has technically been a "coaching stepping stone" and I don't think anyone affiliated with NDSU is upset about that. Bohl leaves for Wyoming and Klieman leaves for Kansas State and yet NDSU is left with the best program in the history of FCS football. Point is, UND needs to hire young guys with very high potential looking for opportunity. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

I still see some talent on this team, but until it is used correctly we remain awful. 

I agree with most everything in your post; however, this statement is a bit controversial to me. I think UND still has a long ways to go in recruiting in order to obtain the talent necessary to be successful. Overall, the roster is still devoid of big time talent that is characteristic of a top 25 fcs team. 

Everyone loves to coach from the couch (point being x's and o's talk is fun), but the most important thing is the players on the field. Major caveat being that the coaches are the ones who recruit the players. 

I do not think that game is on the defense at all, by the way.  They had a tough first half, giving up 28 points, but the D held EWU to 35 points which in't that bad, considering EWU's scoring drives were only 59 yards, 18 yards, 59 yards, 64 yards, and 18 yards.  That is an average starting field position of OUR OWN 43.6 yard line.  That is on the Ket due to turnovers and special teams.  We averaged 31.3 yards punting vs EWU' 37.7.  EWU punted the ball nine times - UND 6 times.  The announcers mentioned how dumb it was for our punter to keep blasting it into the wind over and over, while EWU was doing the rugby punts to keep it out of the wind.  Special teams coaching fail yet again.

6 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

I do not think that game is on the defense at all, by the way.  They had a tough first half, giving up 28 points, but the D held EWU to 35 points which in't that bad, considering EWU's scoring drives were only 59 yards, 18 yards, 59 yards, 64 yards, and 18 yards.  That is an average starting field position of OUR OWN 43.6 yard line.  That is on the Ket due to turnovers and special teams.  We averaged 31.3 yards punting vs EWU' 37.7.  EWU punted the ball nine times - UND 6 times.  The announcers mentioned how dumb it was for our punter to keep blasting it into the wind over and over, while EWU was doing the rugby punts to keep it out of the wind.  Special teams coaching fail yet again.

They way they ran the ball on us was embarrassing.  They also need to create a few turnovers.  I would get the D Defense a C grade at the best.

25 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

I do not think that game is on the defense at all, by the way.  They had a tough first half, giving up 28 points, 

They gave up 28 points in the first 26 minutes of the game.  That's terrible against anybody.  The run D was especially brutal.

People need to stop acting like the defense has been a mirror image of the '85 Bears since Schmidt returned to campus.  Look at the numbers, it has been just as inconsistent as the offense since this staff took over.  Way better than what it was under the previous regime, but not where it needs to be.

They really need to look at scrapping the 3-4.  It was installed 25 years ago to stop the veer.  How many veer teams are still out there?  How many teams still implement a 3-4?  Less than 5?

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

They gave up 28 points in the first 26 minutes of the game.  That's terrible against anybody.  The run D was especially brutal.

People need to stop acting like the defense has been a mirror image of the '85 Bears since Schmidt returned to campus.  Look at the numbers, it has been just as inconsistent as the offense since this staff took over.  Way better than what it was under the previous regime, but not where it needs to be.

They really need to look at scrapping the 3-4.  It was installed 25 years ago to stop the veer.  How many veer teams are still out there?  How many teams still implement a 3-4?  Less than 5?

The 3-4 works with a few 300+ lbers in the middle and Dudes at both D ends.  Also, we used to have size at outside backer. 

Currently, we have a small nose guard and the backup is even smaller, a 220 D End and Bennett with a few backups around 240 lbs.  On top of that, 2 small outside backers.  I don't see how we let things get to this........

Roster Management........needs work. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

The 3-4 works with a few 300+ lbers in the middle and Dudes at both D ends.  Also, we used to have size at outside backer. 

Currently, we have a small nose guard and the backup is even smaller, a 220 D End and Bennett with a few backups around 240 lbs.  On top of that, 2 small outside backers.  I don't see how we let things get to this........

Roster Management........needs work. 

DL should average 270 in a 3-4, minimum.

1 hour ago, bincitysioux said:

Interesting article on NFL defenses last year: https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2019/2018-defensive-personnel-analysis

24 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

https://undfootball360.com/news/eagles-run-over-the-hawks/

UND could've won that game when you really look into things. sigh

The story of the Bubba era - Enough talent each year to be hopeful and take care of most of the cupcakes, but usually with a serious weakness that costs us against good teams.  It's almost always the QB and now the undersized lines, but for a while it was the DBs - especially the corners.  Special teams are always crappy.  I think recruiting is a bigger problem than we realize.  Add in some head-scratching coaching decisions - game decisions, schemes, and personnel and you have a thoroughly mediocre program.   In spite of this there are many crucial games that we could have won had we made key plays, made adjustments, called a better offensive game, not gotten a punt blocked or turned the ball over.  The fact that this happens so often is alarming.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

That false narrative doesn't help

It was a 28-20 game and UND had the ball in EWU territory. six turnovers, missed xp and no run defense for 30 minutes.....all of that and they were down 8 in the 4th quarter.  sucks how bad they screw up momentum every year.  

• Upvote 1