SiouxSports.com Forum

John W.

1 hour ago, ChrisUND1 said:

This HAS to be intentional trolling by the caption writer. Simply awful.  Tom Miller will get the heat too I'm sure, when it was some dumbass in Fargo who did this.

Screenshot_20190928-125249_Gallery.jpg

If you're referring to the "third period", the NCAA rulebook for college football also refers to the first, second, third, and fourth periods.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2019 at 11:06 AM, Irish said:

I can understand the new economic reality - I don't like it much but I get it.  What I absolutely hate is the barrage of Bison football and Gopher Hockey stories that we are now subject to as we continue to get the Fargo Herald.  

Based on the "new economic reality", the Forum should be cutting days as well. They are not. The long-term end game is to dissolve the Herald and force the Fargo Forum on everyone in the Red River Valley. I will NEVER subscribe to that paper. The last thing I want is to have Jeff Kolpack's ugly mug in my face when I am trying to enjoy breakfast in the morning. :angry:

On 10/10/2019 at 11:06 AM, Irish said:

I can understand the new economic reality - I don't like it much but I get it.  What I absolutely hate is the barrage of Bison football and Gopher Hockey stories that we are now subject to as we continue to get the Fargo Herald.  

For the life of me, I can't figure this out at all.  I swear, if Forum Communications owned The Tuscaloosa News, they'd assign a sports reporter to cover LSU or Auburn football.  What a bunch of morons.

• Upvote 1

Here is that ability, I will credit you or your business for donations of any amount, we are looking to grow Seamore Sports as much as possible, and if you want coverage of all UND Sports on a full time basis without a paywall, donate. If I can get enough consistent support I will cover UND sports and other teams whose fans would like to donate full time, all coverage will be sponsored by fans and businesses and it will all be free to read. If you own or run an area business and want to donate something for say a giveaway or sponsor some recaps send me a message here or on the Seamore Sports Twitter page. Read all the way to the bottom for the paypal link. I want to provide Sioux Sports and everyone as much coverage of UND as possible and the way to help with that is honestly, financial support. You will be listed as a sponsor and I will have a recurring list of all supporters of any level at the beginning of every single article I write. If you have the means to, please consider donating. I am a father of an 11 month old and a husband who wants to be the first to have a crowdfunded platform for UND and any other school's fans that want independent journalism. 

Here is the link: https://seamoresports.com/2019/10/23/looking-ahead-support-independent-journalism/ (paypal is at the bottom) We will be adding videos and more features as we get the funding to do so. 

• 2 months later...

The Forum is cutting the Dickinson Press from 5 days to a weekly, contracting printing of the paper with the Bismarck Tribune, and selling the building.  Dickinson also printed the Williston Herald and several other western communities' papers, so they'll be switching to Bismarck or someone else as well.

https://bismarcktribune.com/business/local/dickinson-press-to-become-weekly-publication-printed-by-the-bismarck/article_fb5b48bd-989d-5cd8-87e0-72bc7a655f43.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

• Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

The Forum is cutting the Dickinson Press from 5 days to a weekly, contracting printing of the paper with the Bismarck Tribune, and selling the building.  Dickinson also printed the Williston Herald and several other western communities' papers, so they'll be switching to Bismarck or someone else as well.

https://bismarcktribune.com/business/local/dickinson-press-to-become-weekly-publication-printed-by-the-bismarck/article_fb5b48bd-989d-5cd8-87e0-72bc7a655f43.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

so the paywall model isnt working?! Never would have guessed! They also cut the Bemidji Pioneer from 6x to 2x 

1 minute ago, northernraider said:

so the paywall model isnt working?! Never would have guessed! They also cut the Bemidji Pioneer from 6x to 2x 

I am sure the paywall money is going back into the improvement/cost of the website. No reason to throw the money in the garbage via printing papers.

To make matters worse for western ND, it was just recently a few of the county papers like the Dunn county Herald folded.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/bismarcktribune.com/news/state-and-regional/western-north-dakota-newspapers-to-cease-publication-on-friday/article_f32f764a-af00-5188-842c-da525de7e949.amp.html

I know papers are a relic but as for local applicable news and information on the farms and ranches of western North Dakota, these changes are very difficult to overcome.

I thibknthis graphic really highlights the evergrowing gaping hole of local coverage.

Screenshot_20200114-162343_Chrome.jpg

2 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

To make matters worse for western ND, it was just recently a few of the county papers like the Dunn county Herald folded.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/bismarcktribune.com/news/state-and-regional/western-north-dakota-newspapers-to-cease-publication-on-friday/article_f32f764a-af00-5188-842c-da525de7e949.amp.html

I know papers are a relic but as for local applicable news and information on the farms and ranches of western North Dakota, these changes are very difficult to overcome.

I thibknthis graphic really highlights the evergrowing gaping hole of local coverage.

Dunn County and Dickinson get major advertising from the Bakken, at least that appears to be true.  Quite a setback.

On 1/14/2020 at 4:26 PM, Frozen4sioux said:

Two of the three were purchased by a new buyer and remain publishing.  The Dunn County Herald was not purchased and is no longer being published.

https://www.kfyrtv.com/content/news/2-of-3-closed-North-Dakota-papers-bought-565898861.html

That article mentioned that the papers were profitable, but not profitable enough to make it worthwhile for the owners to manage.  Serious question: rather than just shutting the papers down, why don't the owners just sell the paper to the employees and make it employee owned?  Is this because the employees wouldn't be able to pay as much as the owner would get for selling off all of the assets?  

15 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

That article mentioned that the papers were profitable, but not profitable enough to make it worthwhile for the owners to manage.  Serious question: rather than just shutting the papers down, why don't the owners just sell the paper to the employees and make it employee owned?  Is this because the employees wouldn't be able to pay as much as the owner would get for selling off all of the assets?  

Maybe they don't have the skill set to operate it.  Just a thought.