SiouxSports.com Forum

John W.

30 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Soo...back to the state of the Grand Forks Herald...:whistling:

Dude, you can always read another thread. :D  Just for the record, Wayne Nelson from the Herald also is great with his race coverage. 

On 5/29/2019 at 2:55 PM, MafiaMan said:

I have a subscription to Sports Illustrated — much easier to read the magazine as opposed to scrolling on my phone.

Swimsuit issue is also more enjoyable in print.

Regarding print magazines going digital Money Magazine just announced that they are no longer printing the magazine, they gave out two addresses to a blog and website that will be taking its place, not sure how that is going to work as far as my subscription. 

14 hours ago, SiouxSherm94 said:

Dude.. you're annoying. A notorious troll wherever you can find a fire to light, for absolutely no reason or basis. Do less.

Not sure that's possible...this guy clearly paddling upstream in his douche canoe.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Further demise of the Herald, in it's attempt to make hockey 'mainstream/relevant'...Front page today, above the fold....an article on some kid from Piss Creek, Sask...who may or may not be drafted...when Sacred Heart....a local team finishes 3rd in the MN state baseball tourney.....their best ever finish....

Watch out....I listen....to CJOB Winnipeg...the sports leading radio....every morning...Toronto and all of Canada....loving the Raptors....Look out....'Mainstream invading the 'holy land of pucks..."

1 hour ago, John W. said:

Further demise of the Herald, in it's attempt to make hockey 'mainstream/relevant'...Front page today, above the fold....an article on some kid from Piss Creek, Sask...who may or may not be drafted...when Sacred Heart....a local team finishes 3rd in the MN state baseball tourney.....their best ever finish....

Watch out....I listen....to CJOB Winnipeg...the sports leading radio....every morning...Toronto and all of Canada....loving the Raptors....Look out....'Mainstream invading the 'holy land of pucks..."

The horror - A guy wakes up after a good night's sleep - settles in to read the local paper - opens it - and before he can avert his eyes there it is above the fold - a hockey article. 

It comes out once a week, but read the Exponent this week Wednesday for coverage of Sacred Heart's tourney. 

Dang. I hope your ISP doesn't charge by the ellipsis....Mine doesn't.

• Upvote 1

On 6/15/2019 at 7:57 AM, John W. said:

...Front page today, above the fold....an article on some kid from Piss Creek, Sask...who may or may not be drafted...when Sacred Heart....a local team finishes 3rd in the MN state baseball tourney.....their best ever finish....

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that today's Grand Forks Herald was printed before the completion of yesterday's game.  Call it a hunch...

On 5/31/2019 at 5:22 AM, John W. said:

Ask ESPN about ratings for ice hockey vs. college softball or baseball....the other night 3 of my ESPN channels carried super regional softball...never happened with ice hickey...niche will always be niche..

Poll the entire state of North Dakota...young and old..."which team gives you more North Dakota pride....NDSU Football. or UND Hockey"... Bet the results are 2-1 or maybe 3-1 for the mainstream...

Toronto going nutz over Raptors....'puck heads' watch out....the mainstream, maybe gaining in your base culture......

I wish all the best to UND sports..except the arrogant...I thought this site was to enhance ALL  UND sports.....not just the 'chosen one'....

Toronto is going nuts for the Raptors because they are generally not very good. That city hasn't won much in my lifetime. If you asked the average Toronto sports fan which team they want to win, I would think the Leafs would be the runaway winner.

As for all the talk about newspapers, all you need to know is the New York Times bought the Boston Globe for 1.1 billion in 1993 and sold the Globe for $70 million in 2013. Think about that for a bit.

24 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Toronto is going nuts for the Raptors because they are generally not very good. That city hasn't won much in my lifetime. If you asked the average Toronto sports fan which team they want to win, I would think the Leafs would be the runaway winner.

As for all the talk about newspapers, all you need to know is the New York Times bought the Boston Globe for 1.1 billion in 1993 and sold the Globe for $70 million in 2013. Think about that for a bit.

Ouch, that’s just brutal.

50 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Always somebody happy and somebody sad

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, northernraider said:

Forum Communications will be implementing paywalls for all their sites in the near future. I get that newspapers should receive income, but paywalls are rarely the answer. 

Thinking about how this will affect us the most.

The only value I see in the Herald is Schloss.....

So does his content behind a paywall generate more revenue that benefits him and /or the herald?

or... IMO... the readers who generally click his stuff and generate page and ad viewz are NOT going to pay for the content, I see this most likely hastening his move to a bigger market and team.... 

I doubt he could generate enough to go to the Athletic... but maybe.

So the forum is going to be raising their prices at the same time

this will drive revenue down

maybe Schloss can post on Sioux sports without having to go to the forum or herald or not?

• 3 weeks later...

Latest tweet by Brad says the Herald paywall will be $9.99 a month and plans to start sometime this fall (my money is just before hockey season).

My thing with paywalls is I read a lot of news from a variety of sources and can not afford $10.00 to every online newspaper I enjoy reading. So now, must pick and choose with stories to read before hitting the monthly limit.

IMHO the best option would be for a bunch of news agencies join together and offer a flat fee to access all newspapers in the group. 

• Upvote 1

I don't think I'm going to pay $120 per year to read the Herald online. I work in media and it's not hard to monetize your website as my sales team does it every day and ours is free because of this. Full disclosure, I started my professional career at the Herald in 2008. I assume print subscriptions are dropping so that doesn't help. Digital advertising has come a LONG way since then so it's not as cut and dry as it once was but this tells me they are not growing their digital revenue at a high enough YOY percentage. In our business this is one of the last cards in the deck. I really do enjoy reading Tom and Brad but I have a hard time accepting this because it's a massive failure in my eyes...If my company did this I would be out of a job because I failed.

21 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

I don't think I'm going to pay $120 per year to read the Herald online. I work in media and it's not hard to monetize your website as my sales team does it every day and ours is free because of this. Full disclosure, I started my professional career at the Herald in 2008. I assume print subscriptions are dropping so that doesn't help. Digital advertising has come a LONG way since then so it's not as cut and dry as it once was but this tells me they are not growing their digital revenue at a high enough YOY percentage. In our business this is one of the last cards in the deck. I really do enjoy reading Tom and Brad but I have a hard time accepting this because it's a massive failure in my eyes...If my company did this I would be out of a job because I failed.

Yeah, I just dont get it, because a huge percent of their sports readers probably aren't even local anymore, right?  Hopefully they know their stats.