SiouxSports.com Forum

John W.

Since its been allowed to be kept up, if you guys want all original content from a small staff, online only subscriptions to the Exponent are 15 bucks for a whole year thru June 12. Click the link in my original post. We have original content out once a week via paper (more features), and since i have been there we have interviewed Scott Koberinski and I have more plans to cover more local sports in addition to what I already do with Seamore Sports.  

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'm not a millennial but do communicate with more than a few of them (relatives, co-workers, students, interns). 

Allow me to attempt to speak for them ... 

What's a newspaper? 

Wake up. Look at the world around you. The daily newspaper is a dying thing. Quit trying to blame it on anything more than the world changing. They want their information delivered on a device; that you want petroleum (or soy-based) products spread on dead trees delivering your news to you is a joke to them. 

How much are you willing to bet that the Fargo Forum will keep being published come hell or high water? I'll bet good money on that.

They are trying to get rid of all the other papers in North Dakota so they can become "The Newspaper of Record" for the entire state of North Dakota and adjacent portions of South Dakota and Minnesota. The Forum News Service was founded to help make this very thing happen.

It is only a matter of time.

On 5/28/2019 at 4:29 PM, Nodak78 said:

I bought a digital subscription to the Williston Herald.  Cir. dept called and tried to sell me a paper copy.  Why do I want old news?  It's bad enough I can read most of the paper the day before on the internet before it reaches digital copy to me.  Why wait extra day for paper?  I don't have a bird cage.

I have a subscription to Sports Illustrated — much easier to read the magazine as opposed to scrolling on my phone.

• Upvote 3

On 5/25/2019 at 12:25 PM, John W. said:

Binky, I do check the internet....several times per day,...My issue with  Herald is content...and lazy reporting....

GF and the 4/5 towns you mentioned all do care about hockey.....certainly not a majority of people/kids in our region..

Puckheads  are not only dillusional, but 'thin skinned' apparently....Go put your heads I'm the sand until water freezes in late fall....have a nice nap!!!

Go puck yourself. Nobody likes you on here

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, UNDColorado said:

John can call hockey a niche sport all he wants but the fact is the game is expanding. NHL adding teams and youth programs cropping up in warm weather states tells me otherwise.

Typical troll, just trying to get a reaction...ignore his dumb ass.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 5/28/2019 at 8:36 PM, fightingsioux4life said:

How much are you willing to bet that the Fargo Forum will keep being published come hell or high water? I'll bet good money on that.

They are trying to get rid of all the other papers in North Dakota so they can become "The Newspaper of Record" for the entire state of North Dakota and adjacent portions of South Dakota and Minnesota. The Forum News Service was founded to help make this very thing happen.

What's the time frame on your bet?  I may take you up on it.

Anybody here want to make an investment in a newspaper?  Not me.  It would be like buying stock in a payphone company in the early 90's.  

I don't think Forum Com is trying to get rid of other newspapers, they are trying to turn a profit.  That can be tough to do in this digital age, just ask Sears as physical retail is in the same situation.

I don't like it, mind you, and I agree the content in the Herald is really weak.  Have you held a Fargo Forum in your hand recently, though?  There is not a  lot of titillating content there either.  It has shrunk, condensed, and thinned over the years.  If demand were there for the GF Herald, it could make it on its own.  Or the Jamestown Sun, or any of the many newspapers that Forum has gobbled up in the last decade.

Forget what Sicatoka says about millennials.  My dad is 73 years old, and every day of the week he sits in his recliner at noon, pulls out his iPad, and reads the Forum online, for free.  I don't think paper newspaper subscriptions are going to go up in the future, after that generation passes on.

As UND sports fans, we should just appreciate that Forum has kept Schlossman and Miller, because those guys are really good.  Schlossman just works really hard, and Miller is probably over-worked because Wayne Nelson seems to think that people actually care about amateur dirt track racing.......

• Upvote 2

On 5/28/2019 at 8:36 PM, fightingsioux4life said:

But in the end, who really cares?   It’s like bringing the fattest girl to the prom. 

8 hours ago, Cratter said:

By average attendance, dirt track racing is probably the third most popular sport in Grand Forks.

Right behind UND football and hockey.

Interesting statement, what is the criteria?  Attendance seems to be the obvious choice.

3 hours ago, 90siouxfan said:

Interesting statement, what is the criteria?  Attendance seems to be the obvious choice.

Auto racing, like many subcultures, are hard to understand if you're not apart of it. 
The largest sports venues in the United States aren't football stadiums but race tracks.
The Grand Fork Race Track averages between 3,000-6,000 fans per race.
It has often been named as one of the top tracks, if not the top track, in the country.
In a week, 18 time winner of the Monster Energy Nascar Cup Series, Kasey Kahne, will be racing in Grand Forks, along with a sold out crowd to watch.
He races in the World of Outlaws Sprint Car series. They just had a race this Monday in Indiana.
The guy who won that race on Monday was Kyle Larson, the guy who won Nascar's All Star race two weeks ago.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Cratter said:

Auto racing, like many subcultures, are hard to understand if you're not apart of it. 
The largest sports venues in the United States aren't football stadiums but race tracks.
It has often been named as one of the top tracks, if not the top track, in the country.
In a week, 18 time winner of the Monster Energy Nascar Cup Series, Kasey Kahne, will be racing in Grand Forks, along with a sold out crowd to watch.
He races in the World of Outlaws Sprint Car series. They just had a race this Monday in Indiana.
The guy who won that race on Monday was Kyle Larson, the guy who won Nascar's All Star race two weeks ago.

So it’s actually the second then. As that number rivals and maybe passes football. 

Ask ESPN about ratings for ice hockey vs. college softball or baseball....the other night 3 of my ESPN channels carried super regional softball...never happened with ice hickey...niche will always be niche..

Poll the entire state of North Dakota...young and old..."which team gives you more North Dakota pride....NDSU Football. or UND Hockey"... Bet the results are 2-1 or maybe 3-1 for the mainstream...

Toronto going nutz over Raptors....'puck heads' watch out....the mainstream, maybe gaining in your base culture......

I wish all the best to UND sports..except the arrogant...I thought this site was to enhance ALL  UND sports.....not just the 'chosen one'....

1 hour ago, John W. said:

Ask ESPN about ratings for ice hockey vs. college softball or baseball....the other night 3 of my ESPN channels carried super regional softball...never happened with ice hickey...niche will always be niche..

Poll the entire state of North Dakota...young and old..."which team gives you more North Dakota pride....NDSU Football. or UND Hockey"... Bet the results are 2-1 or maybe 3-1 for the 

Noticed that pro softball is going gangbusters, as new teams are going for more than NHL expansion ones.  

Before the college World Series is a starvation time for ESPN so they are forced to fill it with something.

On 5/29/2019 at 2:55 PM, MafiaMan said:

I have a subscription to Sports Illustrated — much easier to read the magazine as opposed to scrolling on my phone.

I bought a subscription to The Athletic, so now I have no reason to pay for any newspaper subscriptions. They hired a lot of NHL newspaper beat writers. Thankfully, Mike Russo doesn't write or the Red Star and Sickle anymore so I don't have to spend another dime on them.  :) :D I stopped paying for the Herald when they started putting Washington Compost articles in the Grand Forks Herald. I'd pay to read Brad, Tom and Wayne's articles. I just don't want to read the other garbage. I really like the Rink Live coverage, too. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/30/2019 at 10:26 AM, Cratter said:

The World of Outlaws draw about 4500 fans when they come to town. The Voice o the Outlaws Johnny Gibson has deemed the River Cities Speedway one of his favorite on tour. Unfortunately, Kasey Kahne was injured at a race at Williams Grove and won't be racing next weekend, but it's cool that he's coming to town. Right now he's got another driver Australian James McFadden driving his car

1 hour ago, Goon said:

The World of Outlaws draw about 4500 fans when they come to town. The Voice o the Outlaws Johnny Gibson has deemed the River Cities Speedway one of his favorite on tour. Unfortunately, Kasey Kahne was injured at a race at Williams Grove and won't be racing next weekend, but it's cool that he's coming to town. Right now he's got another driver Australian James McFadden driving his car

In that article you linked, Kahne is hoping to be cleared by doctors on Monday and continue racing. So there seems to be a chance he races. I did add some wishful thinking on my part.

Article written on 2015,

River Cities Speedway ranked No. 1 in the country for sprint car racing

In August of 2014, RCS officials believe they had their biggest crowd in the track’s history as it was estimated more than 6,000 fans were in attendance.

Not sure if the WoO came twice back then or not. When the WoO first started to come to GF it was so successful they added a second date for it on the tour and has continued that way ever since.

Article from last year: Schatz Wins WoO in GF

high-side pass out of Turn 4 to win the World of Outlaws 40-lap feature before a crowd estimated at 6,000.

Tickets ain't cheap either at $35 to $40.

17 minutes ago, Cratter said:

In that article you linked, Kahne is hoping to be cleared by doctors on Monday and continue racing. So there seems to be a chance he races. I did add some wishful thinking on my part.

Article written on 2015,

River Cities Speedway ranked No. 1 in the country for sprint car racing

Not sure if the WoO came twice back then or not. When the WoO first started to come to GF it was so successful they added a second date for it on the tour and has continued that way ever since.

As for his racing, Kahne isn’t sure. He was injured in a March 29 flip at Williams Grove Speedway in Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania. He hopes to be cleared by July 1 so he can spend the summer racing. That way he’ll be better prepared for the Knoxville Nationals (Aug. 7-10). 

If he’s not cleared by July 1, he says he doesn’t anticipate being ready to run at Knoxville a year after his team, Kasey Kahne Racing, won the Nationals with driver Brad Sweet.

Well, we'll see. I hope he does. I've been watching all of the races on Dirtvision since last September. 

*Editing note: In addition to coming next week, WoO comes to River Cities right after Knoxville in July. I don't remember how long ago that started. I am surprised that they're not going back to Minot, ND this year

Soo...back to the state of the Grand Forks Herald...:whistling:

Paid online subscriptions HAVE to be coming soon to Forum papers, right?  They can't continue giving news away for free and hoping that people buy paper copies, can they?

9 minutes ago, Goon said:

WoO comes to River Cities right after Knoxville in July.

WoO first stop in GF is a week from today, June 7.

And again August 16.

Like most things, Minots date probably went to Fargo. Would-be surprised to see GF get one less date and Fargo adding a second in the future.

5 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Not sure what schedule you're looking at but they come a week from today, June 7.

And again August 16.

Like most things, Minots date probably went to Fargo. Would-be surprised to see GF get one less date and Fargo adding a second in the future.

Fixed my post ( was talking about it additionally). Last year, the raced in Minot and Fargo. I really doubt that they're going to take a race away from Grand Forks, and give it to Fargo.  Probably not happening. The Grand Forks races have massive crowds and the WoO guys talk highly of River Cities speedway. 

• Upvote 1