SiouxSports.com Forum

John W.

On 5/24/2019 at 2:48 PM, John W. said:

The Herald is not just about Grand Forks....there are 150,000 Minnesotans who live in NW Minny who would/do appreciate info about the Twins, Vikes, and perhaps even BSU or UMC....maybe even some folks  in Piss Creek, ND follow the Twins....don't blame Fargo for elitism.....it's rampant in GF and by some on this board...

Hockey is still 'minor league'..no matter how you cut it!!!!

I'm not going to read through all the posts on this topic, but I found it pretty amusing to hear a guy going on about how few people care about hockey on a website where he regularly posts on hockey threads. 

10 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/incoming/4653345-‘Nine-tenths’-house-in-Grand-Forks-full

so does the heraldo "the people's paper" owe it to it's readers to tell all the people that live on 25th ave exactly which house is full of felons next door?

1) do we know the addresses of all ex felons, besides sex offenders?

2) I'm sure the neighbors know

3) Do apartments list felons?

45 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Well, there it is...I've used up all my viewing of the Herald for the month...Maybe I'll start a GoFundME page.;)

image.png.0bdace995aaa4afd3ca088073063de98.png

So how should reporters be paid? I'm on the fence of an online subscription. Positive side is it allows access to all Forum Communications for a good price. Downside, I already subscribe to enough stuff. Also hate clicking on an interesting article to find it as a fluff piece. 

I've always said someone needs to come up with a giant newspaper plan where $200/yr gets access to multiple publishers  I'm in. 

1 hour ago, MrEdway said:

I can go to funeral home websites for obituaries. Don't give a rat's arse about the cut and paste Washington Post propaganda. The opinion page is largely occupied by nitwits still crying about an election. So local sports is all I will miss. 

You’ll still receive impeachment updates from the D Post though...

4 hours ago, northernraider said:

So how should reporters be paid? I'm on the fence of an online subscription. Positive side is it allows access to all Forum Communications for a good price. Downside, I already subscribe to enough stuff. Also hate clicking on an interesting article to find it as a fluff piece. 

I've always said someone needs to come up with a giant newspaper plan where $200/yr gets access to multiple publishers  I'm in. 

Quarter an article? I find maybe one article every three days worth reading.

8 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

The problem with Forum Communications is that they started filling the Herald with more stories on the NDSU Bison and Minnesota Golden Gophers football and hockey teams... I want to hear all about the minutiae of the Fighting Sioux (hawks) hockey and football team.  I don't want to hear about the Gopher's new hockey recruits favorite breakfast or how many times a day the Bison lineman take a dump.

Could not agree more.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Blackheart said:

The problem with Forum Communications is that they started filling the Herald with more stories on the NDSU Bison and Minnesota Golden Gophers football and hockey teams... I want to hear all about the minutiae of the Fighting Sioux (hawks) hockey and football team.  I don't want to hear about the Gopher's new hockey recruits favorite breakfast or how many times a day the Bison lineman take a dump.

As long as it doesn't reduce the number of UND articles, that sounds great.  It beats national news imo.  Either way, as someone who lives out of state, I'm not subscribing.  I also kinda feel like the Herald finally boosted it's football coverage this year only because they were moving to a paywall, which rubs me the wrong way, but that is a pessimistic view and hopefully wrong.  Max I'd pay 10-15 bucks a month for online access, and they would have to mail the Sunday paper to me, and swap out the washington post news with articles they write themselves.  

What do they expect their out of state readers to do exactly?  I mean I already have my local paper... not subscribing to a second.

Hi Folks, given as this thread has popped up recently I would humbly ask for 3 things if you want some more UND coverage, Check out my site https://seamoresports.com/ where I write recaps and features as needed, and read Hero Sports as I have a feature on Mason Bennett coming there soon and will be writing a few more UND Football features there soon as well. In addition, follow us (my wife and I co-founded this blog (it was her idea!)) on twitter for coverage as well. Thanks for your support! Sioux Sports constantly brings a lot of traffic to the site. https://twitter.com/SeamoreSports Feel free to let me know some things you would like to see more of as well. 

• Upvote 2

Also, if you guys would pay for specific features about specific teams/players in like a patreon setup, for a monthly subscription what would you consider? I ask this because writing for Seamore Sports I have seen that teams around the college sports landscape need some more coverage, and if I could setup a model to do this I think I could still cover UND and grow the site to a point where I cold make money on it. If you sponsor at a certain level, every story would start with brought to you buy : John Doe, and list all sponsors ahead of the story text. I want to cover UND, and any area that I could cover that does not get enough newspaper coverage, around the country, I think merits time and attention. 

• 2 weeks later...