SiouxSports.com Forum

John W.

3 hours ago, Nodaker said:

Maybe they will someday offer a sports only subscription for people like me.  I live in Iowa and the local news is of no interest to me. The national news and opinion stuff I can get anywhere.

I wouldn't be opposed to that, and I believe that the $9.99 I pay each month is worth it. I am not all that thrilled that the Herald gets some of it's news stories from the Washington Post. 

7 hours ago, northernraider said:

I feel both McFeely and Port should go. Just give me the news and not opinion pieces.

Occasionally, Port does report stuff other journalists refuse to write about but still isn't enough to support his writing. 

I really want to buy an online subscription as the cost is low for access to so many papers and there are occasionally intnteresting articles. but have a hard time justifying it knowing those two will get some of the money. 

Port just redeemed himself to all the Minot residents. Got the city manager fired for being an abusive boss. Not sure that fixes the Minot government problem.

On 4/24/2020 at 12:55 PM, SiouxForever said:

@schlossmangfh ^^^ Here’s a great idea. 

Thanks for passing it along. I know other newspapers have done it. I will definitely run that up the food chain.

Appreciate the emails I have gotten from others with ideas, comments and suggestions, too! Have had some really good feedback about things we can try to tackle this summer and get in line by the time sports get started back up again.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 4/18/2020 at 6:09 AM, SiouxForever said:

I just want @schlossmangfh to continue to provide amazing content and continue to get creative like he mentioned brainstorming ideas with Tom Miller. 

@schlossman Now that the hockey season is over, would love to read some creative UND hockey content if you have some unique stories from the year to share if Berry and team allows/approves. See latest piece on Shane Pinto the other day on “The Athletic.” That was a fun read.

Brad not tossing stones at your employer, click-bait articles and opinion articles isn’t going to please the mass crowd and will not cut it in 2020 onward. I read UND hockey and football content and browse the business section for new businesses and restaurants in the FM area ONLY. I’d pay to read your content, I think most SS users on this site would and are happy to support all that you do. Kudos, to Tom Miller on the UND football content too.

People will be pay for quality content even with another subscription to everyones many subscription service already. In addition, with all the noise and little time to “consume” things, I’ll still make time to digest UND hockey and football articles.

Cliche saying, content is king, however if content is king, context is God. 

You are 100 percent right that people aren't going to pay substandard content. That's one of the things that excites me about the paywall and new business model. It is no longer predicated on just getting people to click. It is more important to produce content that people are willing to pay for. I didn't get into journalism to write click-baity headlines and call it a day. I got into it to produce the stories behind the headlines. That's what's fun for me. Our evolving business model puts the onus on me, Tom, and every other Herald reporter, to make your subscription worth it. I can promise it's something I don't take lightly. I want people, at the end of the year, to think to themselves that they used their subscription quite a bit and that it was one of the best purchases they made.

Tom and I will continue brainstorming ideas every offseason. I know that resulted in a different style of football fall camp coverage, which I thought was second to none this past year -- having a nice daily rundown that made me feel like I was at every practice alongside a daily feature (also, you have to appreciate that the UND football staff lets us watch fall camp. Might be one of the only D-I schools in the country to do so). Throughout the season, I thought his great coverage continued and I'm really enjoying his new daily Valley to Summit updates. Not surprised at all he won North Dakota sportswriter of the year award. He earned it. It was his best year to date. And I know he wants 2020 to be better than 2019. For me, I'll keep trying to look for that edge in hockey, too. I've always felt that with its huge and passionate fan base, it should be covered as well as an NHL team. If not, I'm not doing my job. In brainstorming ideas, I know we really like hearing from readers on things they like, don't like, want more of, less of. We do track analytics closely, but hearing directly from people is invaluable.

You're right, Hailey's story on Pinto was excellent. I'll try to keep digging up stories this offseason. I have one idea, if I'm able to get one big piece to the puzzle, is going to be a fun one. Thanks for the feedback.

• Upvote 4

On 4/21/2020 at 9:06 PM, Hawkster said:

But how many "clicks" are they going to get with that idiotic paywall?    Sure aren't getting anything from me.

If that's the case, then so be it. I fully understand everyone has a limited amount of money and has to pick and choose what to spend it on. It is our job to make the Herald and coverage of UND sports worth spending money on.

However, the paywall isn't idiotic. We tried giving away our product for free (perhaps that was idiotic?). So did every other newspaper. It didn't work. For anyone. If we stayed the course, we would eventually be gone. That is quite clear to me. Will the paywall work? I can't honestly sit here and tell you all what the result will be, because I don't know. This is a new-ish venture for our company. Time will tell. But what I can sit here and tell you is that not going to a paywall was not going to work. That much is known.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 90siouxfan said:

I noticed that my facebook feed is now showing linked info from television websites, wonder if TV will fill the void in online content?

The local tv and radio stations have done a decent job providing written news on their websites that I would've previously read on the Herald's website.

Just now, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Maybe the saddest thing of all is that little, old inewz.tv (love him or hate him) consistently scoops both the Herald and WDAY/WDAZ on Grand Forks area news.  I don't know if he's a professionally or even a minimally trained journalist, but he definitely cuts the BS and gets facts out quickly.  He seems to get reliable information quickly, usually from law enforcement or official government sources.  Does that dude ever sleep?

inewz.tv?   what is this?

2 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Maybe the saddest thing of all is that little, old inewz.tv (love him or hate him) consistently scoops both the Herald and WDAY/WDAZ on Grand Forks area news.  I don't know if he's a professionally or even a minimally trained journalist, but he definitely cuts the BS and gets facts out quickly.  He seems to get reliable information, usually from law enforcement or official government sources.  Does that dude ever sleep?

And you have to love all the google earth b-roll

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Maybe the saddest thing of all is that little, old inewz.tv (love him or hate him) consistently scoops both the Herald and WDAY/WDAZ on Grand Forks area news.  I don't know if he's a professionally or even a minimally trained journalist, but he definitely cuts the BS and gets facts out quickly.  He seems to get reliable information, usually from law enforcement or official government sources.  Does that dude ever sleep?

Some people hate him because on slow news days there is a tendency to post a story/mugshot of some decent person that just got popped for something minor like a small amount of marijuana.  However, he is willing to post the nastier stories that the Herald / Forum Wdaz/y won't touch because it doesn't fit their agenda.  Whether you are black, white, liberal, conservative, old, young...etc ......if you break the law Neil isn't afraid to cover it.  Yes a little TMZ like at times but he also exposes the underbelly of Grand Forks and makes you realize how much crap really goes on while you are sleeping. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheFlop said:

Some people hate him because on slow news days there is a tendency to post a story/mugshot of some decent person that just got popped for something minor like a small amount of marijuana.  However, he is willing to post the nastier stories that the Herald / Forum Wdaz/y won't touch because it doesn't fit their agenda.  Whether you are black, white, liberal, conservative, old, young...etc ......if you break the law Neil isn't afraid to cover it.  Yes a little TMZ like at times but he also exposes the underbelly of Grand Forks and makes you realize how much crap really goes on while you are sleeping. 

exactly...when a guy named named wilshaun boxley ran thru my backyard last summer and then across the street and broke into the house and barricaded himself in that house with the family upstairs it was only on inews that i found out what happened.

he was kinda a good boxer back in the day

• 3 weeks later...