SiouxSports.com Forum

John W.

From the Hudson WI publication owned by Forum...

https://www.rivertowns.net/news/science-and-nature/5025326-Shutdowns-lead-to-less-traffic-lower-carbon-emissions?fbclid=IwAR1sHkRS7-r7gLwOea1lSpJrbTVqYWVA0KLDUJGwX6r-JSZ1zHsa5L2ikpE

Hey, sorry about your jobs and all, that sucks, but hey, lower carbon emissions are already improving the environment in Minnesota and Wisconsin, so, yay!

• Upvote 1

On 4/13/2020 at 10:24 AM, Irish said:

Anyone else enjoy our "hometown" paper's coverage of our biggest rival Minnesota Duluth today?  And you had to read it online because - Monday.

Brutal.  I can only imagine if Forum owned the Ann Arbor Daily News, they’d probably hire a reporter for something called the “Buckeye Beat.”  

This paper is toast.  Minor league garbage.  Sucks, because occasionally I liked to read something.  I grew up there, live in LA...I’m not paying for an occasional article.  I’m an MBA From a top school with 25 years experience, an exec at a fortune 50...Grand Forks Herald you have signed your death warrant...stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid

• Upvote 1

Imagine pitching the idea for a newspaper if it were a new concept today...  Okay, we have writers that write stories and we print them each morning and have someone go and throw the papers by people's front door so they know what happened in the world and community yesterday...

The buggy-whip makes more sense.

I wonder what percent of newspaper subscribers today only do so out of habit/auto-renewals?

I agree that the newspaper business model is toast.

• Upvote 1

The small weekly newspaper is going to die unless they change their business model

to wait a week for news or sports won’t work, all advertisers or most have their own websites

some things  are required to be printed in papers, but as time goes on cities, counties, schools will all,have on their own website to print these

most 0bits are on websites 

Sports Illustrated is down to once a month.  I actually am happy about this as I often had no time to read it every week.  The new magazine has more articles and I can relax and take my time with it before another one lands in my mailbox.

1 hour ago, MrEdway said:

The headline writer is going to get talked to for giving away the story, should have been something like "Exciting changes coming to Herald". Wondering if they are gonna cut back Marilyn's expense account for the Eat Beat. (There goes my change at being name "Cheeriest Person of the Week." )

• Upvote 1

I just want @schlossmangfh to continue to provide amazing content and continue to get creative like he mentioned brainstorming ideas with Tom Miller. 

@schlossman Now that the hockey season is over, would love to read some creative UND hockey content if you have some unique stories from the year to share if Berry and team allows/approves. See latest piece on Shane Pinto the other day on “The Athletic.” That was a fun read.

Brad not tossing stones at your employer, click-bait articles and opinion articles isn’t going to please the mass crowd and will not cut it in 2020 onward. I read UND hockey and football content and browse the business section for new businesses and restaurants in the FM area ONLY. I’d pay to read your content, I think most SS users on this site would and are happy to support all that you do. Kudos, to Tom Miller on the UND football content too.

People will be pay for quality content even with another subscription to everyones many subscription service already. In addition, with all the noise and little time to “consume” things, I’ll still make time to digest UND hockey and football articles.

Cliche saying, content is king, however if content is king, context is God. 

• Like 2