SiouxSports.com Forum

Scoreboard change

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

6 minutes ago, Benny Baker said:

Right?  Now the victims are complaining about REA’s management! Ahahaha. 

4 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

What was the prior complaint?

18 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Sorry for correcting the facts.  Nobody is arguing that it the existence of the Ralph itself is bad. 

People criticize the management of the Ralph, and your response is that if it didn't exist we would be worse off.  Good point!

Edit:  Also, your buddy Big A HG says that novelty sales alone are enough to fund non hockey sports (not even close).  "Not to mention, what about all the revenue hockey generates for all sports through the sale of merchandise?  The amount of revenue REA generated in that department funds all athletic programs."

You tell us. 

42 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Seems foolish to bring all that into the equation when IF no REA..... including no 12k crowds... no sioux shop... no betty... no dozen cincession booths.

a fraction of the novelty, parking, concessions would have been realized....  a small fraction.

23 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Sorry for correcting the facts.  Nobody is arguing that it the existence of the Ralph itself is bad. 

People criticize the management of the Ralph, and your response is that if it didn't exist we would be worse off.  Good point!

Edit:  Also, your buddy Big A HG says that novelty sales alone are enough to fund non hockey sports (not even close).  "Not to mention, what about all the revenue hockey generates for all sports through the sale of merchandise?  The amount of revenue REA generated in that department funds all athletic programs."

WHOA WHOA WHOA....where did I ever say that "novelty sales alone are enough to fund non hockey sports"????????  That's so absurd.

37 minutes ago, Big A HG said:

WHOA WHOA WHOA....where did I ever say that "novelty sales alone are enough to fund non hockey sports"????????  That's so absurd.

image.png.ef5cf4da1992a77a85327b64021bd8e6.png

Merchandise sales are categorized as Novelties on UND's financial statement.  They are one in the same. 

image.thumb.png.d00806eaeda9c77a180959e5dea9eeeb.png

37 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

image.png.ef5cf4da1992a77a85327b64021bd8e6.png

Merchandise sales are categorized as Novelties on UND's financial statement.  They are one in the same. 

image.thumb.png.d00806eaeda9c77a180959e5dea9eeeb.png

He meant that merchandise sales help fund all athletic programs, not that merchandise sales “alone” are enough to fund all athletic programs. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I for one see a $6m scoreboard as an extravagance that isn't needed at this time and figure the $2m used for it from REA would have been better off going back to the athletic department for other uses. 

The $6 Million isn't just for the scoreboard. It's for the scoreboard, new start of the art LED lighting system, HD cameras, 33 new LED displays above the entrances, and a new fascia ring.

And the REA only had to pay $2 Million. And guess what?! That two million will easily pay for itself over the lifetime of the equipment. Things like these increase revenue ad potential for the arena. Things like these keep the fans coming back to the games. NCHC.tv subscriptions could even increase because of the TV viewing experience will be improved with the reduced glare and higher quality HD broadcasts.

But hey, let's give it to the athletic department, because we all know what they like to do with extra money.....lose two million a year on womens hockey!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Think of this as possibilities.

52% wasn't in the original Usage Agreement, added later.
The Ralph started taking 52% of FB ticket sale $ after they closed the ticket office in Field-house and The Betty showed up.
The Ralph started taking 52% of BB ticket sale $ when they started selling them at The Ralph and The Betty showed up. 
Engelstad Foundation donated toward the building of The Betty, The Ralph kicked in, and a loan was taken out for the balance by The Ralph.
The FB 52% will disappear when The Betty is paid for. This will be addressed in a future Usage Agreement (remember hearing this when loan was taken out but could not find any public announcements on this. In theory, this 52% helps with loan payments and was not announced as such for the obvious reasons).

https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/4462768-und-ralph-engelstad-arena-reach-new-multiyear-usage-agreement

To this date, the athletic department has always received back at the end of each school year more that what was withheld (52% wise) from FB ticket sale $.

The Betty will be UND's in 2030 like The Ralph - all on UND land.

Creative way of getting a loan to build a BB arena when state law prohibits a U for getting a loan to build an athletic facility. Loan soon paid off.

Need to finish HPC.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Big A HG said:

What if REA has calculated that the enhancements they are making allow for additional ad space for increased revenue that pays for itself in the long run?  How about the increase in ticket revenue (which leads to merch sales, concessions sales, etc.) that allows REA to put more money back in UND's pockets at the end of each year?

I see now Big A HG beat me to the punch.

4 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Think of this as possibilities.

52% wasn't in the original Usage Agreement, added later.
The Ralph started taking 52% of FB ticket sale $ after they closed the ticket office in Field-house and The Betty showed up.
The Ralph started taking 52% of BB ticket sale $ when they started selling them at The Ralph and The Betty showed up. 
Engelstad Foundation donated toward the building of The Betty, The Ralph kicked in, and a loan was taken out for the balance by The Ralph.
The FB 52% will disappear when The Betty is paid for. This will be addressed in a future Usage Agreement (remember hearing this when loan was taken out but could not find any public announcements on this. In theory, this 52% helps with loan payments and was not announced as such for the obvious reasons).

https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/4462768-und-ralph-engelstad-arena-reach-new-multiyear-usage-agreement

To this date, the athletic department has always received back at the end of each school year more that what was withheld (52% wise) from FB ticket sale $.

The Betty will be UND's in 2030 like The Ralph - all on UND land.

Creative way of getting a loan to build a BB arena when state law prohibits a U for getting a loan to build an athletic facility. Loan soon paid off.

This all seems like a good deal for UND.

20 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Move the Soccer Field.  It is used 3 and a half months out of the year and hosts 9 home games.  The rest of the time it goes unused.  Mostly during the hockey season.  Not sure why the soccer team couldn't play at Memorial Stadium.  NCAA allows for turf fields.  With the HPC now built, you would think the football and soccer teams could organize practices and soccer games to not interfere with each other.  Turn the soccer field into a parking lot.  Adds more surface lots for the students during the year and adds much needed parking for hockey and other events at the REA.

Too narrow, ncaa soccer field needs to be 70+ yards wide.  Could pull out the track to make it happen, but didn’t they just dump a bunch of money into the current field?

6 hours ago, Cratter said:

The $6 Million isn't just for the scoreboard. It's for the scoreboard, new start of the art LED lighting system, HD cameras, 33 new LED displays above the entrances, and a new fascia ring.

And the REA only had to pay $2 Million. And guess what?! That two million will easily pay for itself over the lifetime of the equipment. Things like these increase revenue ad potential for the arena. Things like these keep the fans coming back to the games. NCHC.tv subscriptions could even increase because of the TV viewing experience will be improved with the reduced glare and higher quality HD broadcasts.

But hey, let's give it to the athletic department, because we all know what they like to do with extra money.....lose two million a year on womens hockey!

What exactly is the "lifetime" of the equipment these days?  Seems they swap their stuff out fairly often. 

15 hours ago, Siouxperman8 said:

It is possible to be grateful for the gift that the Engelstads gave and also feel like the fb team is getting shorted by giving $375k to the REA to do as they please with.  That money could make a big difference for the fb program.  We just posted a job for an assistant fb coach at $40k/year and you don't realize that the program on a shoestring budget?

All of the costs you mention above that we avoided are all hockey related.  Many on here care about our other programs too.  You talk about $9.6m in costs avoided like it is a big number - and it is.   You also dismiss $6m for a new scoreboard as trivial.  I for one see a $6m scoreboard as an extravagance that isn't needed at this time and figure the $2m used for it from REA would have been better off going back to the athletic department for other uses. 

How about all the rich Big A HG guys step up to the plate and donate their share to carry the weight of UND athletics?  You had nothing to do with the Engelstad donations but seem to count that as your part of supporting UND.  Why not step up yourself and why single out fb alums?   I give my share every year and it isn't earmarked for fb but goes for all sports.  

Isn't the Ralph itself an extravagance that nobody else in the country has?    You wonder why Ralph set up the things the way he did, and it is the very thinking that it is fine to let the Ralph become average and let everyone else keep updating to become better.  Other teams have gotten new scoreboards and locker rooms and such, but ours are fine would be the reply.  "Fine" is not what they were looking at when they built the Ralph, anybody knows that when they walk inside, so why is it shocking to people when they take steps to keep it at the top of college hockey?  I don't recall people screaming "do they really need the marble floors",  "why do they need a million dollar pipe organ",  "why do they need a fascia ring that nobody else has", "why do they need a therapy pool"...

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, tnt said:

"why do they need a million dollar pipe organ...”

And why don’t they fire this thing up every now and then at the games?  Get Grace the tour lady to turn the key during pregame or intermission.  They could do all of this as part of “European Heritage Night” presented by L&M Meats. 

19 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

I'm actually surprised Don Lemon or his other CNN clowns have not run a piece yet on Ralph's anti-Semitic, white privileged money that funds a sport that is predominantly played by white "Christian" males....who are also probably racist for still wearing apparel with the Sioux logo on it.

SJW types are actually turning out to be highly anti Semitic. They enjoy calling Jewish scientists racist fascist masogonists while they fully support Islamists. 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Diggler said:

This is perhaps the most truthful post I have seen on this board in the last 8 years since I quit posting. I quit posting partially because this board had become so toxic and filled with garbage. And it has only gotten worse since then.

Constant arguments between football and hockey fans. Constant arguments about how women's hockey sucks or how women's hockey shouldn't have been dropped. Constant arguments over the nickname. No one can get along at all ever. We all have to hate each other about everything. Our fan base seemingly thrives on hating everything and everyone. What the hell is wrong with us? Why do we insist on fighting with everyone, whether they be a fan of an opposing team or fan of UND? How is that productive or a positive thing?

Earlier this week I tweeted my feelings that UND should update the logo on the bottom of the scoreboard to reflect what the University currently uses. I felt this could be a positive step in helping people who are still unhappy about the nickname to eventually accept the new nickname. I thought this would be an excellent chance for UND and REA to lead by example and helping what I feel is a broken fan base to heal. In response I was told to shut up and mind my own business by fellow UND fans, because of course. That's what we UND fans do, we fight with and insult each other.

I am a hockey fan first but I want to see all other sports at UND succeed. Sadly with the current climate I don't know if  that will ever happen. I want what is best for the University and this constant fighting about everything certainly does not help achieving that.

The Million dollar question is how do we finally stop being broken?