SiouxSports.com Forum

Scoreboard change

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

On 5/16/2019 at 8:02 AM, Frozen4sioux said:

Nice try. Is the friend the troll, or your attempt?

Asking for everyone.

Nope legit question, he belongs to Champions Club, he wants to know if you do.

On 5/16/2019 at 5:55 AM, CMSioux said:

Is there any truth to the theory that if The Ralph stopped upgrading things there could be more money for upgrading football and basketball, including staff salaries? Asking for a friend.

Doing my best to avoid a big hockey vs everything pissing match, here's my opinion on the issue:

In the short term, yes.  If you don't spend money on one thing, you can spend that money on another.  If the REA doesn't have a plan to spend excess reserves on upgrades and maintenance, it is supposed to return that money to UND.

In the long term, unclear.  It's difficult to say how the behavior of hockey fans, who contribute the majority of outside revenue to the athletic department, is affected by the new video board.  Are the fans more likely to increase donations?  Are the fans more likely to pay UND more for tickets?  Are associated businesses more likely to increase advertising spending?  These things could all result in a net gain for the athletic department in the long run.

6 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Doing my best to avoid a big hockey vs everything pissing match, here's my opinion on the issue:

In the short term, yes.  If you don't spend money on one thing, you can spend that money on another.  If the REA doesn't have a plan to spend excess reserves on upgrades and maintenance, it is supposed to return that money to UND.

In the long term, unclear.  It's difficult to say how the behavior of hockey fans, who contribute the majority of outside revenue to the athletic department, is affected by the new video board.  Are the fans more likely to increase donations?  Are the fans more likely to pay UND more for tickets?  Are associated businesses more likely to increase advertising spending?  These things could all result in a net gain for the athletic department in the long run.

I believe one of the driving factors in the new scoreboard was dramatically increasing that square footage's revenue potential.

25 minutes ago, andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!! said:

I think I'll mark myself down as preferring the old scoreboard and its classic looks.

Edit: the end video boards will be a nice addition though.

I think this opinion may change when you see it in person. Seeing the difference in the replay boards itself is quite the sight. 

It looks pretty big, i hipe it doesnt distract too much.

The way the REA blasts the crappy stoppage time music and effects into your skull, i just hope the new scoreboard, led ribbon and the end monitors dont accentuate that effect tio much and end up with a multi media seizure everytime the wistle blows.

Reserving judgement till i see it in a game, love that they're investing in the building now. 

1 minute ago, Frozen4sioux said:

It looks pretty big, i hipe it doesnt distract too much.

The way the REA blasts the crappy stoppage time music and effects into your skull, i just hope the new scoreboard, led ribbon and the end monitors dont accentuate that effect tio much and end up with a multi media seizure everytime the wistle blows.

Reserving judgement till i see it in a game, love that they're investing in the building now. 

Nothing shuts down a crowd like ear damaging clown crazy music. Might as well tell the crowd to sit down and stfu because our fake energy is better than your real energy. We will tell you when to make noise, be loud, be happy, or stand up. The NHL arena I attend is literally like sitting directly in front of Metallica’s speakers for 3 hours. 

4 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I think this opinion may change when you see it in person. Seeing the difference in the replay boards itself is quite the sight. 

I wonder if this will encourage people to actually look up from their cell phones?

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Based on the mock-up released when this was first announced, it appears they will be adding one more ring around the top and one more ring around the bottom.

I'm under the impression the other top ring to be added won't be a video board but "static" signage.

11 hours ago, KoolGuy2K said:

In 15-20 years,  we’ll get another upgrade and follow the recent fad of hockey arenas replacing the boards and glass with one giant video board. And you’ll watch the game on there. :blink:

Since UND would be in control of the arena I don’t think they could afford such an upgrade. 

The evolution of scoreboards just make sense. Instead of tall and skinny, they (Ralphs, The X, etc) now align more with Tv's and cinema screens.  As that's the purpose of them now instead of the former primary purpose of "boards that hold the score."

Looks about the same height as the old scoreboard, just wider now.

18 hours ago, Cratter said:

I'm under the impression the other top ring to be added won't be a video board but "static" signage.

Seems you are correct.

I wish they could've gone with a more classic look, similar to the old signage.  Overall the project should be a major upgrade though.