SiouxSports.com Forum

Scoreboard change

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

1 minute ago, Big A HG said:

I think you're being reasonable in your response, but still are failing to see the point.  The key here isn't about the money REA is generating.  It's about how much UND has and is saving by having REA available to them.  Money saved for the university doesn't equate to money coming from REA's pockets.

I mean, if that is truly the case, why would UND's budgets and coaching salaries be at or below their peers? Where is all of this "money saved" going? 

Again, I'm not arguing the majority of the benefits provided by the REA, I'm arguing that I don't think the arrangement is being maximized anywhere near its full capabilities to benefit the athletic department as a whole. The amount of money and control of decision making that is taken out of the hands of the athletic department is higher than it should be. 

25 minutes ago, Benny Baker said:

Reason: a legal contract.

One that is supposed to be negotiated annually yet remains largely unchanged despite enormous changes within UND. And we all saw the reaction when someone dared to question said contract. 

• Upvote 4

Just now, jdub27 said:

One that is supposed to be negotiated annually yet remains largely unchanged despite enormous changes within UND. And we all saw the reaction when someone dared to question said contract. 

I think I'm following you, but its still not REA's fault that UND perpetually fails to renegotiate a favorable contract.

1 minute ago, Benny Baker said:

I think I'm following you, but its still not REA's fault that UND perpetually fails to renegotiate a favorable contract.

Really?  Did you follow the news over the summer?  Kris cried to the newspapers and implied she would never give another cent to UND.

2 minutes ago, Benny Baker said:

Yes, the news that UND was unable to renegotiate what it claimed to be a favorable contract for itself.

Kris cried to the newspapers and implied she would never give another cent to UND.

The REA foundation is set up to benefit the athletic department.  There shouldn't be a power struggle.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, nodak651 said:

Kris cried to the newspapers and implied she would never give another cent to UND.

The RAE foundation is set up to benefit the athletic department.  There shouldn't be a power struggle.

And UND either failed to renegotiate a favorable contract for itself; or more likely

Realized the benefits provided by REA far outweigh the athletic department keeping 52% of ticket revenue for six football games in 2018.

3 minutes ago, Big A HG said:

I'm not sure there's a better way for this to work, but here's how it currently works:

- REA takes 52% of football ticket revenue.  Based on what I've read in this thread, lately that equates to about $375k per year.  

- REA asks for nothing else from the university.  This football ticket revenue is just UND's way of paying for use of the arena each year. 

- Because REA is using a percentage of football ticket revenue and not asking for a flat fee, REA is doing UND good because UND isn't hand-cuffed to a defined amount that they may not be able to pay.  The more successful that football is, the more goes to REA.  The less successful football is at generating money, the less goes to REA.  If the contract said that UND is required to pay $375k each and every year while REA takes 0% of football ticket revenue....but football fans don't show up....where does UND pull the extra money from if the program is already strapped for cash?

CLIFFNOTES:  REA gets 52% of football ticket revenue.  UND gets use of an arena for hockey, basketball, and volleyball events and practices.  UND doesn't have to manage ticket sales as REA is also handling that.  REA uses the money generated to keep the arena in tip-top shape and puts some money away for projects and unanticipated expenses each year.  REA sells merchandise for UND (likely the top grossing UND merchandise retailer).  REA then gives back all additional revenue to UND after they pay for upkeep and put a little away in savings for things like this.

Sounds like UND and ALL of the athletic programs make out quite well thanks to REA on a $375k or so annual expense.

158873.gif

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Like I said before, UND's biggest benefactor, a huge hockey supporter, threw $3M at hockey locker rooms and $4M at scoreboards.

And nothing toward women's hockey. 

I think that's a clear statement. 

Actually, I read on here earlier that the football team paid for the hockey locker room renovations and all of the scoreboard.  So you need to go educate yourself, my friend. ;)

Just the salary of the staff needed to run a....

-hockey, basketball, and volleyball complex capable of hosting both events and practices (includes management, security, hourly workers, maintenance, etc.)
-ticket office open daily to handle tickets for all athletics
-retail merchandise store

....while only asking for $375k in return is a GREAT return on investment for UND.  This doesn't include anything beyond just employee salaries and wages that UND gets out of the deal.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

If Bucci had 2 cents of hockey IQ to throw at anything, I'd suggest he be quite unwilling to throw it away. 

Yeah, I'd like there to be womens hockey at UND, just like I'd like there to be a completed HPC2&3, and a golf course made of electrically heated glades of incandescent poly-grass, and a football stadium that doesn't make me feel like I need to start grading potatoes. 

...but id rather se that spinoramo OT winner in jumbo-vison as I suck down a couple tostadas and brewskis.

And id rather that 1st round pick visit and be awestruck at the facilities for just a bit longer too.

I'll throw a 6,000 seat bb only arena as well to your wish list. 

35 minutes ago, Big A HG said:

Just the salary of the staff needed to run a....

-hockey, basketball, and volleyball complex capable of hosting both events and practices (includes management, security, hourly workers, maintenance, etc.)
-ticket office open daily to handle tickets for all athletics
-retail merchandise store

....while only asking for $375k in return is a GREAT return on investment for UND.  This doesn't include anything beyond just employee salaries and wages that UND gets out of the deal.

More like 2.25 million, plus program, novelty, parking, and concession sales at the Betty and Ralph.  Add back 500k to 1M that RAE allocates to UND at the end of the year.

29 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

More like 2.25 million, plus program, novelty, parking, and concession sales at the Betty and Ralph.  Add back 500k to 1M that RAE allocates to UND at the end of the year.

Seems foolish to bring all that into the equation when IF no REA..... including no 12k crowds... no sioux shop... no betty... no dozen cincession booths.

a fraction of the novelty, parking, concessions would have been realized....  a small fraction.

29 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Seems foolish to bring all that into the equation when IF no REA..... including no 12k crowds... no sioux shop... no betty... no dozen cincession booths.

a fraction of the novelty, parking, concessions would have been realized....  a small fraction.

Sorry for correcting the facts.  Nobody is arguing that it the existence of the Ralph itself is bad. 

People criticize the management of the Ralph, and your response is that if it didn't exist we would be worse off.  Good point!

Edit:  Also, your buddy Big A HG says that novelty sales alone are enough to fund non hockey sports (not even close).  "Not to mention, what about all the revenue hockey generates for all sports through the sale of merchandise?  The amount of revenue REA generated in that department funds all athletic programs."

10 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Sorry for correcting the facts.  Nobody is arguing that it the existence of the Ralph itself is bad. 

People criticize the management of the Ralph, and your response is that if it didn't exist we would be worse off.  Good point!

When one looks at the totality of the current state of UND's athletic department "the management of the Ralph" is way down on the list of concerns/issues.

• Upvote 4