SiouxSports.com Forum

Scoreboard change

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

Question on the policy of showing replays in college hockey. It always annoying the poss out of me when they wouldn’t show replays on the big screens after or during big reviews. We are installing these big monitors yet cut the spectators out of these reviews? Seems like a good way to piss off fans. If I remember they stsrted doing that so they don’t enrage the fans, well the fans should be enraged if they are keeping these reviews from the fans. Just another reason to sit at home and watch the game.... and people still wonder why no one attends games...

7 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Question on the policy of showing replays in college hockey. It always annoying the poss out of me when they wouldn’t show replays on the big screens after or during big reviews. We are installing these big monitors yet cut the spectators out of these reviews? Seems like a good way to piss off fans. If I remember they stsrted doing that so they don’t enrage the fans, well the fans should be enraged if they are keeping these reviews from the fans. Just another reason to sit at home and watch the game.... and people still wonder why no one attends games...

It's a conference decision. Up until a few years, Atlantic Hockey didn't have a policy so if you happened to have a video board you could show whatever. Occasionally, the refs would ask you to stop showing something but there was no rule you had to stop. 

Now, you're allowed to show it once at full speed and once slowed down if it's questionable, but only before the review is initiated. After the fact, it's usually just shown to confirm the ref's decision for the fans. 

9 hours ago, southpaw said:

It's a conference decision. Up until a few years, Atlantic Hockey didn't have a policy so if you happened to have a video board you could show whatever. Occasionally, the refs would ask you to stop showing something but there was no rule you had to stop. 

Now, you're allowed to show it once at full speed and once slowed down if it's questionable, but only before the review is initiated. After the fact, it's usually just shown to confirm the ref's decision for the fans. 

The officiating needs some transparency with some very questionable call over that last few years. The officials should take boos for making bad calls. I don’t know why we need to bow down to these bad officials. 

3 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

The officiating needs some transparency with some very questionable call over that last few years. The officials should take boos for making bad calls. I don’t know why we need to bow down to these bad officials. 

If they show the replay on the big screen and every fan in the building can determine the correct call, not sure why referees would have a problem with it.  If the fans can see it, so can they.  And they should be able to make the correct call as well.

10 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I agree with not showing the replay during the review, as you don't want fan reaction to influence the officials.  But there's no legitimate reason to not show the replay after the review has been completed.

The officiating kabal may say that embarrassment is a reason they would not want the replay shown.

2 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

I may be alone here but, im not so sure this gigantic new scoreboard really "fits" the building.

Hope im wrong. 

I’ve always felt that the original was tastefully proportional to the arena. After all, one of the reasons the Ralph is the Ralph is because so few architectural details were missed.

I remember after the fire; the higher resolution displays were certainly a nice upgrade, but I never felt like we needed more real estate up there.

Bigger is not always better.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CMSioux said:

Is there any truth to the theory that if The Ralph stopped upgrading things there could be more money for upgrading football and basketball, including staff salaries? Asking for a friend.

Nice try. Is the friend the troll, or your attempt?

Asking for everyone.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

I may be alone here but, im not so sure this gigantic new scoreboard really "fits" the building.

Hope im wrong. 

I've thought this ever since the announcement.  LOVE the other enhancements though.  

5 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Hope im wrong. 

Totally agree. It's likely already too small and outdated by the time they put it up. They should have went bigger and better to truly fit the building and upcoming customer tastes.

I mean like will it even be bigger than the Minnesota Wild's?

2 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

I’ve always felt that the original was tastefully proportional to the arena. After all, one of the reasons the Ralph is the Ralph is because so few architectural details were missed.

I remember after the fire; the higher resolution displays were certainly a nice upgrade, but I never felt like we needed more real estate up there.

Bigger is not always better.

When I was growing up I heard about how those 40" CRT TV's were so massive and no one needed such a big tv!

6 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Hope im wrong. 

41 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Totally agree. It's likely already too small and outdated by the time they put it up. They should have went bigger and better to truly fit the building and upcoming customer tastes.

I mean like will it even be bigger than the Minnesota Wild's?

Old score board versus the new scoreboard at Xcel Energy center.  

old.jpg

new.jpg

I think overall size of the scoreboard isn't going to be drastically bigger.  Don't get me wrong, it will be bigger.  but, I think the biggest difference that we will see (much like at the X) is the size of the video-boards. The new scoreboard at the X seems to fit the building without being overly massive.  Obviously the new one at the Ralph won't be as big as the new on at the X.  But, I think it will fit just fine.  

• Upvote 1