Melvin

Will Brad Berry Be Fired?   

194 members have voted

1. 1. Should Bill Chaves fire head coach Brad Berry

• Yes - Immediately After the season
    • No - Give Him one More year
    • Hire Hakstol and then fire him, too.

3 hours ago, skateshattrick said:

They almost certainly will miss the NCAA tournament again this year after going 0-2-1 against Bemidji State and Canisius.

Not to further depress you (and myself), but they were actually 0-THREE-1 against Bemdji State and Canisius.  

• UNDBIZ changed the title to Time to Boo Berry?
54 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Not to further depress you (and myself), but they were actually 0-THREE-1 against Bemdji State and Canisius.  

And this weekend at the Ralph the #1 team in the country will play a piss poor excuse for a college hockey team mired in the depths of the pairwise.

UND vs st clown..... 

As a fan and supporter of this program its a damn embarrassment whichbof thebabove descriptions fit the above teams.

Disgraceful.

Since resting up, getting healthy, and re-focusing over Christmas Break we were swept by Canesius and then gave up 2 goal leads in 4 successive games against other bottom dwellers.  This is not any way, shape, or form anything that resembles Sioux Hockey.  Mr. "team culture" and "process" needs to figure this out right quick. 

3 hours ago, Irish said:

Since resting up, getting healthy, and re-focusing over Christmas Break we were swept by Canesius and then gave up 2 goal leads in 4 successive games against other bottom dwellers.  This is not any way, shape, or form anything that resembles Sioux Hockey.  Mr. "team culture" and "process" needs to figure this out right quick. 

That is the huge concern.  They came out of Christmas last year in decent shape as well, only to lose a number of games they should have won.  This is the second year in a row where they have lost pairwise ground after Christmas.  Say what you want about how Hakstol's teams started, but they improved almost every year after the break.  Now we seem to regress after the break.  That flat out shouldn't happen with the younger teams we have had.   

• Upvote 1

Good post @skateshattrick, I think many here get a pretty good feel for this program after watching it for decades and at the end of the year can give a pretty good assessment if the team overachieved, underachieved or it played out like most thought. Hakstol like many coaches had a mixed bag, he had some ultra talented teams that did underachieve in the regular season, when you look at some of their slow starts. That being said, he also had some teams that overachieved. What's really concerning to me is after '16, every team since then I would put in the underachieved category. This season isn't over yet, but 3 out of 4 years of underachieving is concerning. Last year I couldn't believe the number of games they gave up two goal leads and that problem is back again. He has four years left on his contract, he's not going anywhere, but if he misses out on the NCAA tournament again, it's a huge problem. That's two strikes for me and should be for the AD. There's going to be a lot of pressure put on next years Freshman class, which by all accounts is a home run class. This roster is going to get a huge uptick in talent with four forwards who will be picked before the fourth round. These aren't guys that put together a solid season as overagers, these are guys who have proved what they can do at the Junior level in their draft year. 

Side note, I don't know what my expectations are for post game interviews, but him and TH yucking it up after the Canisius loss really rubbed me the wrong way. I'd really like to see some urgency and at least it being acknowledged that these results aren't tolerated. You can get pissed without throwing anybody on the team under the bus. I still believe this team has talent, they just can't seem to completely put it together. 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, AJS said:

Good post @skateshattrick, I think many here get a pretty good feel for this program after watching it for decades and at the end of the year can give a pretty good assessment if the team overachieved, underachieved or it played out like most thought. Hakstol like many coaches had a mixed bag, he had some ultra talented teams that did underachieve in the regular season, when you look at some of their slow starts. That being said, he also had some teams that overachieved. What's really concerning to me is after '16, every team since then I would put in the underachieved category. This season isn't over yet, but 3 out of 4 years of underachieving is concerning. Last year I couldn't believe the number of games they gave up two goal leads and that problem is back again. He has four years left on his contract, he's not going anywhere, but if he misses out on the NCAA tournament again, it's a huge problem. That's two strikes for me and should be for the AD. There's going to be a lot of pressure put on next years Freshman class, which by all accounts is a home run class. This roster is going to get a huge uptick in talent with four forwards who will be picked before the fourth round. These aren't guys that put together a solid season as overagers, these are guys who have proved what they can do at the Junior level in their draft year. 

Side note, I don't know what my expectations are for post game interviews, but him and TH yucking it up after the Canisius loss really rubbed me the wrong way. I'd really like to see some urgency and at least it being acknowledged that these results aren't tolerated. You can get pissed without throwing anybody on the team under the bus. I still believe this team has talent, they just can't seem to completely put it together. 

We hear post game all of the time about having passengers and selfish penalties, however I don't recall guys sitting for those issues.  I'm sure it has happened at some point, but I recall guys continuing to take dumb penalty after dumb penalty with no consequence.  I was heartened when Mismash sat the second game against Canisius only to find out it was due to injury. Way too much talent there to continue to operate with little intensity resulting in lazy passes and not bearing down on chances.  Hate to single him out, but that seems to be the most glaring based on what we saw from him early last year when it looked like he would be the next star forward we are missing, someone who takes the team on their shoulder down the stretch of close games, preventing disasters like Canisius.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Fetch said:

At least start with both assistants & bring in possible replacements, as Berry looks for a new job - I have no confidence this Program is going to turn things around & be a Consistent Contender Anytime Soon 

We've seen what this coaching staff can do with a talented roster. To me it became apparent last year that there was a pretty big recruiting misstep that happened with one class. They aren't in the position they are now, strictly because of that class, but it also put the program in a position that they basically had no room for error. I think we'll start to see some nice strides next year, with what I believe is a truly can't miss class. Then in two years, if guys like Halliday and Bowen (Ethan) continue on the path they are on, along with an insane d-core coming in that same year, I think they are back. 

Ok, I’ve been a big proponent of bringing back Hak, and maybe that’s not fair to Berry, but I’m also a little intrigued about another coach out there.

i like the idea of hiring UND guys, but what are thought about getting a guy like Frank Serratore. Seriously one of the most likable guys out there who has shown some success with Air Force. I just wonder what he could do at a school like UND with the facilities and recruiting power.

not realistic or likely, more just something conversational.....

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Ok, I’ve been a big proponent of bringing back Hak, and maybe that’s not fair to Berry, but I’m also a little intrigued about another coach out there.

i like the idea of hiring UND guys, but what are thought about getting a guy like Frank Serratore. Seriously one of the most likable guys out there who has shown some success with Air Force. I just wonder what he could do at a school like UND with the facilities and recruiting power.

Berry is one of the most likable guys as well.  Serratore has done o.k. with Air Force, but  I think a lot of the memories of the people are from how hard of an out they have been in a few tournament games they have been in.  They haven't exactly dominated CHA and AHA, but they have had their moments.  He was well liked when he was an assistant here, but I don't think there was a noticeable change when he left, although I'm sure he has grown leaps and bounds in his coaching ability since then with the additional experience.   

• Upvote 1

Is Berry close friends with his staff , or is staff hiring a pure meritocracy? Wondering about nepotism and how he would handle things at the end of the season if he deemed a shake-up as positive for the program. 

Some great coaches have gone down with the ship rather than put their friends on the market. 

20 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

He didn’t do all that great at Denver.

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, cberkas said:

Berry seems to be taking the Mike Eaves approach, National Title followed by good season flowed by two bad seasons, then repeat. We all know what happened to Wisconsin and Eaves.

So a natty next year, I will take it!!!  but don't think I will hold my breath, bubs aint no mike eaves...   and that is a good thing.   Maybe the GOBC can get bubs a gig in the big show?  Wild perhaps buy out his contract?

• 1 month later...

So......how hot is Berry's seat now?  Is next year a "prove it" year?  Can't think that if we miss the playoffs 3 straight years under Berry that he would be back.  Berry just signed a contract extension through the 2022-2023 season.  I miss the good old days when the reasons for firing the head coach was because the team couldn't win once it got to the Frozen Four.  We can't even get to the Frozen Faceoff!!!

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

So......how hot is Berry's seat now?  Is next year a "prove it" year?  Can't think that if we miss the playoffs 3 straight years under Berry that he would be back.  Berry just signed a contract extension through the 2022-2023 season.  I miss the good old days when the reasons for firing the head coach was because the team couldn't win once it got to the Frozen Four.  We can't even get to the Frozen Faceoff!!!

Berry has two more seasons to fix this.