Will Brad Berry Be Fired?   

194 members have voted

1. 1. Should Bill Chaves fire head coach Brad Berry

• Yes - Immediately After the season
    • No - Give Him one More year
    • Hire Hakstol and then fire him, too.

38 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Berry has two more seasons to fix this.

Depending on how badly next season goes, I'd say he has next season to figure it out. And if I had to take a guess, I'm thinking they'll be around .500 again and will miss the NCAA tournament again and we'll all be thinking he got let go one season too late. 

3 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Depending on how badly next season goes, I'd say he has next season to figure it out. And if I had to take a guess, I'm thinking they'll be around .500 again and will miss the NCAA tournament again and we'll all be thinking he got let go one season too late. 

I just don't think they would pull the trigger after next year.  I think he has two years to right the ship.  

The last time UND missed the playoffs more than 2 years in a row was back in the Gino days.  1995-96 was 6th year in a row UND failed to make the playoffs.  After that year, Gino "resigned".  I don't think Chaves is going to let UND miss the NCAA Tournament 6 years in a row before he pulls the trigger.  I'd say he has 2 years to get things back on track.  But if UND misses the NCAA's next year for a third straight year, I think the pressure from the fanbase, alumni, etc would be to great for Berry not to be fired.

Side not, pretty crazy stat that the last time the UND hockey team missed the playoffs 2 years in a row was 23 years ago!!  The bare minimum for this program is to make the NCAA'ss.  Anything less than that is an utter failure given the reputation of this program.

6 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

The last time UND missed the playoffs more than 2 years in a row was back in the Gino days.  1995-96 was 6th year in a row UND failed to make the playoffs.  After that year, Gino "resigned".  I don't think Chaves is going to let UND miss the NCAA Tournament 6 years in a row before he pulls the trigger.  I'd say he has 2 years to get things back on track.  But if UND misses the NCAA's next year for a third straight year, I think the pressure from the fanbase, alumni, etc would be to great for Berry not to be fired.

Side not, pretty crazy stat that the last time the UND hockey team missed the playoffs 2 years in a row was 23 years ago!!  The bare minimum for this program is to make the NCAA'ss.  Anything less than that is an utter failure given the reputation of this program.

Another aside... this season marks just the second time since 1978 that both UND and the U of M failed to make the NCAA tourney. 2017-18 was the first time this happened since 1978.

10 minutes ago, cberkas said:

He needs to prove that 2016 wasn’t a fluke. As of right now I didn’t think they make the NCAA’s.

Next year's team should be a lot better.  Hopefully poolman stays.  D core would be great.  Our junior, soph, and frosh classes would all be solid with a decent amount of skill.  With above average goaltending, no way we miss the NCAA's next year.  Book it. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

The world is A LOT different than in 1996. Internet insta-rage culture paired with much higher the accessibility to officials, leaders and the like has gotten pretty crazy. IMO, the pressure would get to point from the fanbase after three where it would be beyond obnoxious and the AD would start to look at it. 

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

Next year's team should be a lot better.  Hopefully poolman stays.  D core would be great.  Our junior, soph, and frosh classes would all be solid with a decent amount of skill.  With above average goaltending, no way we miss the NCAA's next year.  Book it. 

I'm definitely in this boat. Even if Pooly doesn't come back, I think we'll still be great defensively. I also think he's coming back, so that's even better. Scheel was a stud last year and the D is good in front of them. Definitely think we'll score more, too.

We'll see.

3 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

So......how hot is Berry's seat now?  Is next year a "prove it" year?  Can't think that if we miss the playoffs 3 straight years under Berry that he would be back.  Berry just signed a contract extension through the 2022-2023 season.  I miss the good old days when the reasons for firing the head coach was because the team couldn't win once it got to the Frozen Four.  We can't even get to the Frozen Faceoff!!!

Why would they get rid of Berry when we still have the same mediocre coach since DII in the Betty. Hockey is no where near the sh*tshow that basketball is. I would think Chaves’ list of coaches to get rid of that Berry would be further down the page.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Berry has two more seasons to fix this.

I mean, that is nothing more than your opinion. Full stop.

Considering this was year 1 of a 5 year extension worth over $2.1 million, any early change is going to require some deep pockets.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Considering this was year 1 of a 5 year extension worth over $2.1 million, any early change is going to require some deep pockets.

gfhockey has evidently been workin' the phones all day today...

30 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Start a narrative that Berry and Kennedy are buds and some deep pockets may open up.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

Why would they get rid of Berry when we still have the same mediocre coach since DII in the Betty. Hockey is no where near the sh*tshow that basketball is. I would think Chaves’ list of coaches to get rid of that Berry would be further down the page.

Expectations are way different between BB and Hockey.

• Upvote 2

If he somehow misses the tournament again next year, I do think he's gone. I don't think it'll come to that though, I genuinely think things turn around next year and with the anchor being released a couple weeks from now next year, this will just be a bad two year dream. 

6 minutes ago, AJS said:

If he somehow misses the tournament again next year, I do think he's gone. I don't think it'll come to that though, I genuinely think things turn around next year and with the anchor being released a couple weeks from now next year, this will just be a bad two year dream. 

What's this referring to? 

8 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Buyouts are an interesting thing...I've been through a couple.  Not hockey, but business.  There are exactly licit terms. And just cause you sign a contract for x dollars over y period of time, it doesn't mean you get paid all of it.   You usually have a severance component, a vesting of other benefits, and an exit clause

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

Buyouts are an interesting thing...I've been through a couple.  Not hockey, but business.  There are exactly licit terms. And just cause you sign a contract for x dollars over y period of time, it doesn't mean you get paid all of it.   You usually have a severance component, a vesting of other benefits, and an exit clause

True. However I'm assuming Berry's contract is typical to almost all other coaches contract where the full amount is guaranteed with the only relief the University would see is an offset if the individual takes another job and the requirement then only becomes they have to make up any difference between what was owed and what the individual is currently making. Maybe there is an opportunity for a lump some buyout, but not sure why most people would take that option in this particular situation.

10 minutes ago, rhenry8439 said:

if Berry has two more seasons like the last two have gone, the amount of high end recruits will start going elsewhere. than we will be stuck with a team full of character guys.

Looking at the scoring stats we are more than part way there already.  There is absolutely no way St. Clown and Duluth should be out-recruiting us. 

1 hour ago, rhenry8439 said:

if Berry has two more seasons like the last two have gone, the amount of high end recruits will start going elsewhere. than we will be stuck with a team full of character guys.

If he misses the NCCAs next year he has to go......too much at stake long term.

• Like 1