Time to Boo Berry?

Melvin

Will Brad Berry Be Fired?   

194 members have voted

1. 1. Should Bill Chaves fire head coach Brad Berry

• Yes - Immediately After the season
    • No - Give Him one More year
    • Hire Hakstol and then fire him, too.

I thank Kris McGarry for helping get Berry a raise and a 5 year deal. 
Quite the interesting day when she flew into GF to sit down at the table in The Ralph with Kennedy, Chaves, and Berry.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4441504-performance-bonuses-remain-key-part-coach-brad-berrys-contract

"I'm excited and very grateful and honored to continue to be the head coach at North Dakota," said Berry, who specifically thanked Chaves, UND President Mark Kennedy, Kris Engelstad McGarry and the Engelstad family. "It's a very special place for myself. I came down here in 1983 as a player. To continue the path on as a coach, I'm very humbled and honored."

or the Press Conference

• Upvote 1

Its funny that its been 1/2 a year and all the Barry fans are on their knees.. hes had a good start to this year and it looks like the reason is the coaching staff with only 4 new guys really seeing ice time. Hes made good choices on his staff plus hes changed up alot of the offensive schemes they've used the last two years.

Im glad hes been able to turn it around and start making decisions that are working to bring ths team back to the top but he should have made them earlier. 

I hope this first half wasnt a fluke(it really doesn't look like one)but with Berrys track record you never know. If he can keep this team working together, we could have another natty. It will be interesting to see what happens but for now remember ITS 1/2 A SEASON!!!!!!

• Downvote 4

11 hours ago, ThompHockey said:

Its funny that its been 1/2 a year and all the Barry fans are on their knees.. hes had a good start to this year and it looks like the reason is the coaching staff with only 4 new guys really seeing ice time. Hes made good choices on his staff plus hes changed up alot of the offensive schemes they've used the last two years.

Im glad hes been able to turn it around and start making decisions that are working to bring ths team back to the top but he should have made them earlier. 

I hope this first half wasnt a fluke(it really doesn't look like one)but with Berrys track record you never know. If he can keep this team working together, we could have another natty. It will be interesting to see what happens but for now remember ITS 1/2 A SEASON!!!!!!

Yeah, but what a half!

• Upvote 3

On 12/10/2019 at 9:31 PM, fightingsioux4life said:

I don't think anyone saw this coming after the last two years of underwhelming play. I am very happy and excited for Coach Berry and the entire program, but things definitely looked gloomy after last season.

People's analytical abilities disappear when they are angry or depressed about something, which is what all fan bases experience during down years.  Personal disappointment turns into criticism of others.   We can get by with that as fans. 

14 minutes ago, burd said:

People's analytical abilities disappear when they are angry or depressed about something, which is what all fan bases experience during down years.  Personal disappointment turns into criticism of others.   We can get by with that as fans. 

The last two seasons were very down in terms of performance on the ice. And we had no way of knowing if the younger guys would improve like they have. Or if the freshmen were going to contribute early or later. But yeah, there was a lot of weeping and gnashing of teeth on this forum.

I don't think anyone saw this coming after the last two years of underwhelming play. I am very happy and excited for Coach Berry and the entire program, but things definitely looked gloomy after last season.

I won't say I saw 14-1-2 at the halfway point coming, but I knew this team would be a lot better due to the influx of talent. I felt like we saw bits of brilliance that I figured would develop over the offseason. I'm one to trust the coaching staff a bit more than most, however. Last year was not fun, so I get that point of view for sure.

With that said, I feel great for Bubbs. Such a fun first half.

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...

I’m not strongly on one side or the other, but Berry has stated multiple times that they needed to hold themselves accountable and look in the mirror over the offseason along with the players. Changes were necessary and they implemented them. Were they slow to make those necessary changes to stay on top and deserving of some scrutiny for the years prior? Possibly. Had they not turned the corner this year, most folks would likely still have the same opinion they did before and we’d never really know this team had the capability of being #1. Could they have been really good last year had coaches implemented changes earlier? Maybe. We’ll never know. So it really just shows there were valid arguments on both sides, and I’m definitely glad the coaches and players collectively figured it out and we get to enjoy a special season...and that fans still have very (unreasonably at times?) high expectations. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Brett0909 said:

I’m not strongly on one side or the other, but Berry has stated multiple times that they needed to hold themselves accountable and look in the mirror over the offseason along with the players. Changes were necessary and they implemented them. Were they slow to make those necessary changes to stay on top and deserving of some scrutiny for the years prior? Possibly. Had they not turned the corner this year, most folks would likely still have the same opinion they did before and we’d never really know this team had the capability of being #1. Could they have been really good last year had coaches implemented changes earlier? Maybe. We’ll never know. So it really just shows there were valid arguments on both sides, and I’m definitely glad the coaches and players collectively figured it out and we get to enjoy a special season...and that fans still have very (unreasonably at times?) high expectations. 

I think this is one of the reasons we land the kids we land in recruiting. Top-end players want to play for a winning program with a great championship tradition and want to be part of a team that holds itself to high standards. That is part of what makes a top player a top player.

The clearity of time indicates that the proper title of the thread shoukd have been Boo Shaw...

Which I maintain was the most critical change...along with and resulting in the addition of Karl...

So thread titles should have been something like...

Give Shaw the claw..

Shaw?..Nah..

#HaydenDadbad...

or for the kids...

No more fun till we yeet Shaw into the sun....

14 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

The clearity of time indicates that the proper title of the thread shoukd have been Boo Shaw...

Which I maintain was the most critical change...along with and resulting in the addition of Karl...

So thread titles should have been something like...

Give Shaw the claw..

Shaw?..Nah..

#HaydenDadbad...

or for the kids...

No more fun till we yeet Shaw into the sun....

Let's not overlook who's now wearing the #22  jersey either. That coupled with Shaw being exiled are the two biggest gains this year from last.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, I was perusing this thread and thinking what a difference a year makes, 18-1 record at the Ralph this season. Another Penrose Cup. Top of the PWR. 

• Upvote 1