Melvin

Will Brad Berry Be Fired?   

194 members have voted

1. 1. Should Bill Chaves fire head coach Brad Berry

• Yes - Immediately After the season
    • No - Give Him one More year
    • Hire Hakstol and then fire him, too.

2 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

I do not like what I see at the moment either. However, I am not jumping off the fan wagon nor will I ever. The spotlight is on Brad, Dane, Matt and this team. They all better do some reflecting and try to figure out what is going wrong because it isn't going to be too much longer and someone will be out (my money is on Shaw).

I wasn't talking about "jumping off the fan wagon". I never will either. But I also will not ignore what I see as a negative trend line regarding this program.

10 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

The problem with TH is he is good friends with Brad, Dane and even Hak. He isn't going to say anything bad about them and he will always take their side.

It bothered me on Friday that he tried to feed Brad after the game with the "not a lot you can do" line because you played so well.  Thankfully, Brad was up front and had the same line of thinking that I had that they didn't have a shot on goal until the 9 minute mark to start the game, and you have to come out from the start like they played at the end.  TH still downplayed that after Berry left the interview going back to the "what can you do" line.   Now Saturday was a completely different story, being that they seemed to have consistent effort throughout.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I wasn't talking about "jumping off the fan wagon". I never will either. But I also will not ignore what I see as a negative trend line regarding this program.

I never stated you were jumping off the fan wagon.

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

There is a clear downward trend over the past two and one-half seasons. That is not "hyperbole", that is fact.

Next we'll hear that a lot of programs would love to have a winning record every year like us, so we shouldn't be concerned about not being championship contenders anymore. Where (and when) do you draw the line?

The season isn't over, but I don't like what I have seen so far and I will believe there will be improvement when I see it....and not a second before that.

That’s not what I said. Tim was using hyperbole(ie firing Saban) to mock fan overreaction. 

25 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

That’s not what I said. Tim was using hyperbole(ie firing Saban) to mock fan overreaction. 

The fact that TH would do that shows his character. What good of an announcer is he if he is afraid to question the HC? Part of me believes that TH, the folks at the REA and some of the hockey staff believe they are above the Unversity of North Dakota and do not need to answer to anyone.

4 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

The fact that TH would do that shows his character. What good of an announcer is he if he is afraid to question the HC? Part of me believes that TH, the folks at the REA and some of the hockey staff believe they are above the Unversity of North Dakota and do not need to answer to anyone.

I don’t get that bent out of shape that he uses hyperbole to mock fan overreaction because I agree with him on that point. While I agree with part of what you’re saying about giving Berry an easy out after canisius I’m not ready to get too upset. TH is the best voice in the business IMO and has never seemed to get too high or too low in the team, probably because he’s seen it all. Whether or not that aligns with what you specifically want to see isn’t really his concern.

The day TH stops calling games will be a sad, sad day for UND hockey fans. A constant phrase I always here is ‘I don’t want to pay $20 for the webcast, at least I can listen to Hennessy”

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Pay special attention to the last 6 words of the definition...

417C291D-15F6-440D-B132-ACF072883F52.jpeg

Haha...ya I get what the word means.  Maybe I should have stated the timing wasn’t appropriate, because fans questioning what’s going on isn’t all that crazy right now.  Again, criticism is warranted right now...this isn’t an “over reaction”

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Haha...ya I get what the word means.  Maybe I should have stated the timing wasn’t appropriate, because fans questioning what’s going on isn’t all that crazy right now.  Again, criticism is warranted right now...this isn’t an “over reaction”

Criticism is fine. However, I still think it's an overreaction to want him fired right now.

3 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Got ya. It depends on what reaction you’re referring to. To the fans saying Berry is worthless and should be fired yesterday, it is an overreaction. If you have valid criticisms with facts behind them(not ‘Berry’s lost the locker room’), have at it.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, tnt said:

That is my biggest concern is that we should have guys that were the top scorers in their league at least having moderate success their freshmen seasons.  Like I said, Kawaguchi just didn't lead the playoffs in scoring in the BCHL, he obliterated the next closest guy.  Watching guys produce that weren't even close to him and basically the same situation with Weatherby this year, has me pondering the reasons why?   Next year to me will really be a reflection, because with Jones and Gardner gone, the freshmen will get plenty of playing time, and even though these freshmen aren't at the very top of their leagues in scoring like Weatherby and Kawaguchi, they are all very highly touted.  If we can't get a 10 goal scorer out of one or two of them, it will really concern me, and will not bode well for us next year.  You always have the expectation of the upperclassmen picking it up and carrying the load, but that hasn't been the case so much this season, which is why things haven't gone that well. 

I always think it's so important to look at age when comparing stats from Juniors.  Anybody would take Blaisdell / Rizzo over Weatherby and Kawaguchi ten times out of ten. Blaisdell is in the Top 10 in points (3rd for goals) as a 17 year old (turning 18 later this year). Rizzo was hurt for a good chunk of the year, but is also a PPG guy at 17. When Weatherby / Kawaguchi put up those incredible point totals, they were 20 / 21.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

So even if TH is joking (which he is), why would that make him seem unintelligent? He’s mocking fan overreaction with hyperbole. 

I didn't see the Tweet and you're right unintelligent wouldn't be the right word, I think annoying would sum it up perfectly.

7 hours ago, AJS said:

As fans, there is a definite overreaction to games/weekends. It's easy to not see the big picture and focus strictly on the negative. Also, it's much too easy to play the hypothetical game of well what if this happens. As far as Berry goes, I'm going to let the season play out and then reevaluate once this year ends.

One thing that I'd love to ask the experts (Hajdu, Hennessy, @Goon), by that I mean the guys that know the game and are the only people who's opinion matters. Yes, the average idiot (see the rest of us), might overreact, but sports at this level are results driven. What is acceptable for a head coach at UND? Are you not concerned about what you've seen the past three years? Do I personally think Berry is a bad coach, no, but like I asked, what's acceptable to you?

First, today I was having lunch with some media folks after the press conference and I recalled a time UND went to B.C. and lost to a Canadian College Hockey team. That was also the same year that UND went to the Frozen Four. Obviously, they lost in the semifinals of the Frozen Four, but I think that season would be considered a success. I think it's a little early to get panicked. Like @stoneySIOUX @InHeavenThereIsNoBeer mentioned, UND was one play away from going to the regional finals during the 2016-17 season. UND also just missed the NCAA playoffs last season. IRC, the teams that got in, were actually behind UND in the PWR but won a conference playoff or whatever. I know they just missed the playoffs. There are 16 games left. A lot can happen between now and the future. I am not all that worried, the future looks pretty bright.  

7 minutes ago, Goon said:

First, today I was having lunch with some media folks after the press conference and I recalled a time UND went to B.C. and lost to a Canadian College Hockey team. That was also the same year that UND went to the Frozen Four. Obviously, they lost in the semifinals of the Frozen Four, but I think that season would be considered a success. I think it's a little early to get panicked. Like @stoneySIOUX @InHeavenThereIsNoBeer mentioned, UND was one play away from going to the regional finals during the 2016-17 season. UND also just missed the NCAA playoffs last season. IRC, the teams that got in, were actually behind UND in the PWR but won a conference playoff or whatever. I know they just missed the playoffs. There are 16 games left. A lot can happen between now and the future. I am not all that worried, the future looks pretty bright.  

It's easy to say we almost beat BU, but that year we almost didn't get in either.  See how easy this works?  On one hand it's ok to say how we barely missed the tournament last year, but on the other fail to mention that we barely made it in the year before despite how well we carried play against a good team.  We could have just as easily not got in two years ago and then made it in last year and could have won the whole darn thing.  Speculation is just that, speculation.  The facts are we made it two years ago, we didn't last year, and this year it's not looking good at the moment.  So far, it's seemingly a further regression yet.  3-4 years after a title year at an elite program should be the prime opportunity to go on another deep run as your reloaded recruits are becoming juniors and seniors.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Big A HG said:

It's easy to say we almost beat BU, but that year we almost didn't get in either.

This is the second time I've seen this. We finished the year at the No. 10 PWR, 4 spots ahead of the last team in OSU, who was in our region. That's pretty safely in the tournament. 

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

This is the second time I've seen this. We finished the year at the No. 10 PWR, 4 spots ahead of the last team in OSU, who was in our region. That's pretty safely in the tournament. 

We have different definitions. To get into the tournament that year they had to (1) Sweep SCSU in the 1st round, which they did (2) Beat Denver, which they did 1-0. They won those three and made the tournament, but to think they were safety in, when going into the NCHC playoffs they had a 50% shot, I wouldn't exactly call "safely in". Even going into the NCHC Frozen Faceoff they needed a win, a 4th place finish and they wouldn't have made it. Again, far from safely in.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, siouxkid12 said:

Tim Hennessy is a radio announcer. His job is to broadcast the hockey games and interview the coaches and players. It is not to criticize the coaches or players. He has covered UND hockey for over 30 years, every game, home and away. He travels with the team on every away game. He has seen it all. The ups and the downs. To question his character for not doing something he has no business doing is naive at best, stupid at worst.And he sure as hell doesn't have to answer to you.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• UNDBIZ changed the title to Time to Boo Berry?