Melvin

Will Brad Berry Be Fired?   

194 members have voted

1. 1. Should Bill Chaves fire head coach Brad Berry

• Yes - Immediately After the season
    • No - Give Him one More year
    • Hire Hakstol and then fire him, too.

18 hours ago, Irish said:

This shows the importance of having some high end studs in our line-up.  See Pinto last night.  Last year we couldn't score to save our butts.  Almost every time this is mentioned the automatic reply is "Boston University".  If we are to win #9 we need some NHL talent on the roster.  And the Goering for Shaw swap is a winner too.

And let's not overlook the effect players like Pinto have on their teammates.   Every time a Pinto, Boesser, Scmaltz, etc hits the ice the other side has to account for him at all times.  This takes away from coverage or schemes that would otherwise have been on teammates, especially on the PP.   Guys like Gooch benefit from that, even if they do not share a regular shift, but especially when they do. 

Duncan would probably not have been  left to score all those goals from his office spot had the opposition not had to cover T & O. 

21 hours ago, Irish said:

This shows the importance of having some high end studs in our line-up.  See Pinto last night.  Last year we couldn't score to save our butts.  Almost every time this is mentioned the automatic reply is "Boston University".  If we are to win #9 we need some NHL talent on the roster.  And the Goering for Shaw swap is a winner too.

How about the stud that is a Hobey candidate? This was a massive contention for a lot of fans last year that our players hadn't developed and that was a knock on Bubbs. Well, maybe.... shockingly.... guys needed to develop? 

Guchi, Adams, Weatherby, Peski, Smith all have taken big time steps.

4 hours ago, burd said:

And let's not overlook the effect players like Pinto have on their teammates.   Every time a Pinto, Boesser, Scmaltz, etc hits the ice the other side has to account for him at all times.  This takes away from coverage or schemes that would otherwise have been on teammates, especially on the PP.   Guys like Gooch benefit from that, even if they do not share a regular shift, but especially when they do. 

Duncan would probably not have been  left to score all those goals from his office spot had the opposition not had to cover T & O. 

Duncan had help with the Hobey.

2 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Duncan had help with the Hobey.

4 hours ago, burd said:

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

How about the stud that is a Hobey candidate? This was a massive contention for a lot of fans last year that our players hadn't developed and that was a knock on Bubbs. Well, maybe.... shockingly.... guys needed to develop? 

Guchi, Adams, Weatherby, Peski, Smith all have taken big time steps.

You are correct about the big steps - which pretty much solves the development question.  Looking at last year it was pretty evident there was a scoring talent deficit.  Glad we are back on track.  We seemed to be caught short after the flight after our Natty.  We need a combination of role players and high end studs.  It is our formula for success.  Glad we are back on track.  The answer when we talk about recruiting NHL talent can't be "but Boston University".

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Vegas_Sioux said:

No kidding when his speech was on of the 3 best players in the country. I don’t know if I was the 3rd best player on my line. 

That was gold, Duncan knew how fortunate he was.
This can only happen with having BLUE CHPPA players on the team. 

UND works hard at bringing in high end players. A prerequisite to bringing home the hardware.

• 2 years later...

If this team does indeed miss the playoffs for a third time under Berry, having been ranked top 5 preseason, then I say get Berry out of here.  Good guy, but I would expect to be fired if I underperformed like that.  The Natty is starting to look like an anomaly, and the norm seems to be missing the playoffs now.

20 minutes ago, Oldguy said:

If this team does indeed miss the playoffs for a third time under Berry, having been ranked top 5 preseason, then I say get Berry out of here.  Good guy, but I would expect to be fired if I underperformed like that.  The Natty is starting to look like an anomaly, and the norm seems to be missing the playoffs now.

3rd time?

We need to beef our recruiting, I understand times have changed and the Big10 sure seems to be winning a bulk of the battles but Denver is still pulling in kids. I also think the focus on 5th year guys is hurting us bad too.

I know a guy who sent his kid to Denver and he basically said if you play a skill game go to DU. 

6 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

We need to beef our recruiting, I understand times have changed and the Big10 sure seems to be winning a bulk of the battles but Denver is still pulling in kids. I also think the focus on 5th year guys is hurting us bad too.

I would rather move away from 5th year guys and bring in talented recruits that can progress for a few years as well.

That said, if Frisch and Caulfield decided to come back for a 5th year next season, the team would be better IMO.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, brianvf said:

I would rather move away from 5th year guys and bring in talented recruits that can progress for a few years as well.

That said, if Frisch and Caulfield decided to come back for a 5th year next season, the team would be better IMO.

I don't disagree with you, but it is a mixed bag. There have been hits and misses. Conner Ford was a really good pickup last year because UND needed a center that could win faceoffs, and Jandric has been a very nice find, and arguably the best defenseman on the team. I'm not sure that Senden and Hain have hurt UND, although it is debatable whether they have helped. Farmer has been disappointing, but Sidorski is better than I expected. I would also welcome Frisch back and really hope he comes back because they will lose most of the D corps. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, brianvf said:

I do agree with that