Melvin

Will Brad Berry Be Fired?   

194 members have voted

1. 1. Should Bill Chaves fire head coach Brad Berry

• Yes - Immediately After the season
    • No - Give Him one More year
    • Hire Hakstol and then fire him, too.

20 minutes ago, Big A HG said:

What's more exciting to the fanbase...Frozen Fours or Conference Championships? 

HAKSTOL (11 seasons):  7 Frozen Fours (63.6%) --- 3 Reg. Season Conference Championships (27.2%) --- 4 Conference Tournament Championships (36.4%)

BERRY (8th season):  1 Frozen Four (12.5%) --- 4 Reg. Season Conference Championships (50.0%) --- 1 Conference Tournament Championship (currently 7 tries, 14.3%)

Hakstol clearly put more precedent on being good late in the year and built toward that.  He worked the guys hard, maybe to their detriment in the first half of the season, but as the team built stamina and the workload was adjusted, Hak's teams came to play in the second half.  How he never won a title is beyond me, but again, in one-and-done, anything can happen.  Berry seems to strive for consistency, start-to-finish, but doesn't build towards that post-season run.  Sandy and Carle both seem committed towards post-season play...you can hear it in their talking points.  The 2019-20 UND team was very good, but nowhere near 2016 good...and the 2016 team almost didn't even make the title game.  To say there was any guarantee of that team was winning multiple NCAA games, much less another title is a stretch.  Only two of those athletes are still on an NHL roster as I write this, Pinto and Cole Smith...then compare to the NHL talent on the 2016 team.  The 2019-20 team was one of the few under Berry that played above their talent level.

But, I thought winning nattys was the no. 1 goal? ;)

8 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

But, I thought winning nattys was the no. 1 goal? ;)

Of course it is, but we need a more reasonable gauge to measure off of since titles are so rare and hard to come by (unless you're Duluth or Denver recently).  I don't blame Hakstol for not winning one as he routinely put his teams in positions to win the natty.  Despite not winning a title, the team still felt like it was in a good place and the program was at a peak when looking at everything other than the lack of a title.  North Dakota was still the "talk of the town" on a national level along with BC's run at the time.  If you made Frozen Fours a "best of" series, we'd probably have multiple under Hak.  Sometimes we were outplayed, sometimes we didn't get the bounces, sometimes the other team was just better.  But, Berry's title isn't a recent memory anymore.  It's fading farther and farther into the distance.  The program has been one step forward two steps back with Berry since he took over.  Next year may be one step forward again, but is the following season two more steps back?  At what point do you stop the train and accept the program is in a worse place than when he started and isn't looking any brighter going forward?  If you were a blue chip recruit, do you go play for sweaty Brad Berry whose team is on the slide and players tend to underperform, or go to a place like Denver with a young, exciting coach and his own much more recent title; or Scott Sandelin who has his own incredible run of success lately?

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Big A HG said:

Of course it is, but we need a more reasonable gauge to measure off of since titles are so rare and hard to come by (unless you're Duluth or Denver recently).  I don't blame Hakstol for not winning one as he routinely put his teams in positions to win the natty.  Despite not winning a title, the team still felt like it was in a good place and the program was at a peak when looking at everything other than the lack of a title.  North Dakota was still the "talk of the town" on a national level along with BC's run at the time.  If you made Frozen Fours a "best of" series, we'd probably have multiple under Hak.  Sometimes we were outplayed, sometimes we didn't get the bounces, sometimes the other team was just better.  But, Berry's title isn't a recent memory anymore.  It's fading farther and farther into the distance.  The program has been one step forward two steps back with Berry since he took over.  Next year may be one step forward again, but is the following season two more steps back?  At what point do you stop the train and accept the program is in a worse place than when he started and isn't looking any brighter going forward?  If you were a blue chip recruit, do you go play for sweaty Brad Berry whose team is on the slide and players tend to underperform, or go to a place like Denver with a young, exciting coach and his own much more recent title; or Scott Sandelin who has his own incredible run of success lately?

Come on, be better

38 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I don't need young, just modern game thinking. 

Jerry York's last ten teams at BC played a faster game than Brad Berry's. Jerry could be Brad's dad. 

I didn't say younger was better, I was merely asking a question based on looking through the lens of a mid-teen deciding where to play hockey.  Carle may be young to us, but he's still twice as old as the kids being recruited.  With that said, he's still significantly younger than Brad and may resonate more with someone who's 16-17 years old.  Jerry was old as dirt, yet could still recruit since he was basically the pope of college hockey in the northeast.  All eyes were on BC at the time.  Who's looking at North Dakota these days?

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Big A HG said:

I thought I'd keep it simple and easy to understand.  Does "heavily-perspired Brad Berry" work better for you?

Nah, but it makes it hard to take the rest of the post seriously as comments like that make it appear that you have some sort of personal axe to grind beyond his coaching.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Nah, but it makes it hard to take the rest of the post seriously as comments like that make it appear that you have some sort of personal axe to grind beyond his coaching.

It looks like a dig, and maybe to some extent it is when I'm trying to dissect the accomplishments of our head coach, but the guy literally drips with sweat.  Legitimate question, if you're meeting Brad Berry for the first time as a recruit, what's your impression going to be?  We're not exactly raking in blue chippers these days.  Our facilities, history, alumni, fanbase, and pedigree all stack up.  Grand Forks isn't the most geographically pleasant place to be, but if all other benefits outweigh that, kids will still come, as many have in the past.  Why are they not coming now?

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Big A HG said:

It looks like a dig, and maybe to some extent it is when I'm trying to dissect the accomplishments of our head coach, but the guy literally drips with sweat.  Legitimate question, if you're meeting Brad Berry for the first time as a recruit, what's your impression going to be?  We're not exactly raking in blue chippers these days.  Our facilities, history, alumni, fanbase, and pedigree all stack up.  Grand Forks isn't the most geographically pleasant place to be, but if all other benefits outweigh that, kids will still come, as many have in the past.  Why are they not coming now?

They don’t like the black NODAK jerseys?

Not enough puck bunnies to go around?

Grinders not quite like they used to be at the Red Pepper?

No Whitey’s Wonderbar?

58 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

They don’t like the black NODAK jerseys?

Not enough puck bunnies to go around?

Grinders not quite like they used to be at the Red Pepper?

No Whitey’s Wonderbar?

Screenshot_20230217_001522.thumb.jpg.df7faa46a02936ef8f2795e4c1c0d850.jpg

It's easy to me to see why no blue chippas are heading our way.  No more beat the bartender....sigh....