SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Attendance

SiouxFan100

26 minutes ago, Irish said:

When I was at UND they had maybe 3 campus cops - now they have around 18-20.  

I'm all for this having a daughter attending UND now. I know from a student perspective many feel safer. 

18 minutes ago, Mama Sue said:

So were you a “good boy” then Irish?

"Good" is a relative term - times were interesting in 1969 when I started and I think the definition of good then was different :-).  Oxbow mentioned bail - when someone we knew was arrested we just passed the hat - many times they were glad we took the "criminal" off their hands.  

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Part of problem is that today's college students don't "have a couple" while watching Herbie and Puck win a World Series; today's college students intentionally, consistently drink themselves to oblivion ("blacked out")*. 

*18-20 year olds experienced a 56% increase in binge drinking between 1993 and 2001 (source)

I've heard enough stories about students drinking at und in the 70s and it sounded very similar to my experience in the early 2000s.

Your article may be true nationwide but I doubt there was much difference at UND.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Part of problem is that today's college students don't "have a couple" while watching Herbie and Puck win a World Series; today's college students intentionally, consistently drink themselves to oblivion ("blacked out")*. 

*18-20 year olds experienced a 56% increase in binge drinking between 1993 and 2001 (source)

I’m gonna go ahead and chalk that up to more data being available and not much of an actual change in binge drinking. The 60s 70s 80s and 90s are either full of liars or binge drinkers equal or worse than what we have now.

On 9/17/2019 at 2:59 PM, The Sicatoka said:

I struggle to believe that. Cops have enough to do besides pulling kids off shuttle buses. And frankly, an honest cop would tell you they'd rather the kid be on the shuttle than behind a wheel. 

If a cop were to pull someone off a shuttle I'd guess it's more for disorderly than drunk. 

From the students I talked with, the cops were talking to kids jumping on the beds of tailgates (safety issue), those that appeared to have blatantly "over-served" themselves and anyone managing to cross basic common sense lines. Boiled down to don't act like an idiot and you were fine.

• Upvote 2

It’s an easy solution

move the students

let season tickets holders move to those 2 sections

tickets sold online should be sold from the 40 yard line and as those are sold go to the 30 so the middle is full

designate a family section 

sell cheap seats on the end zones 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Take away the tickets for football being given out early. Bubba and Nodak Nation would just hand them out and hooe those who they gave to would go. I went to a gane in 2017 and Nodak Nation said student tickets were all gone, there was a considerable number of students who turned away at the door as there were no tickets left for free and did not want to pay a reduced fee for reserved seats. This included aporoximately 7-10 mbb athletes.

Now I don't know if this still happens expecially as I think I saw that all student tickets are virtual now as tge ticket office in the union is obviously closed

1 hour ago, Wildfan said:

Take away the tickets for football being given out early. Bubba and Nodak Nation would just hand them out and hooe those who they gave to would go. I went to a gane in 2017 and Nodak Nation said student tickets were all gone, there was a considerable number of students who turned away at the door as there were no tickets left for free and did not want to pay a reduced fee for reserved seats. This included aporoximately 7-10 mbb athletes.

Now I don't know if this still happens expecially as I think I saw that all student tickets are virtual now as tge ticket office in the union is obviously closed

This is a good point. I wonder how many tickets handed out on campus were tossed in the trash 

21 hours ago, Shawn-O said:

On video, the Alerus looks like a barren wasteland between the 40 yard lines and it's a bad look.  

If Chaves is competent, he’ll change the seating arrangement.

Move the students down and provide season tickets for midfield (40 to 40) on both sides of the field! 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Wildfan said:

Students in mass numbers don’t want to go to the games. Its an issue all over the country, including big 10 schools. 

To expect the students to fill up the prime midfield seating is just wishful thinking without logic.

Move the student section down, and reserve the midfield on BOTH sides for season tickets.

It really is disappointing that it has taken this long for UND’s athletic department to figure this out; and really, they technically haven’t yet. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Students in mass numbers don’t want to go to the games. Its an issue all over the country, including big 10 schools. 

To expect the students to fill up the prime midfield seating is just wishful thinking without logic.

Move the student section down, and reserve the midfield on BOTH sides for season tickets.

It really is disappointing that it has taken this long for UND’s athletic department to figure this out; and really, they technically haven’t yet. 

Correct.  Student apathy is a problem just about everywhere.

• Upvote 1

On 9/20/2019 at 10:40 AM, Wildfan said:

Great idea. Just let in a certain amount of students at the door. Only dedicated students will get the best seats. Pre game longer and maybe miss out on getting in

UND isnt the only place student apathy was waned obviously, 

but UND should own the issue, embrace it and engage the students with creative and alternative ideas.

Doing the GF thing of just basically passive aggressively complaining about it while also not really admitting the problem is going to have disastrous consequences.

• Upvote 3

The HAWKS fly to Eastern Washington U (Cheney, Wash.) for a Saturday 6:05 PM central time game at Roos Field, built in 1967.

image.jpeg.5fa2317a982f04dd2fd0d7986328a097.jpeg

Image result for roos field seating chart

image.jpeg.028333eef116cfc63a8822a56ded2ffa.jpeg

Capacity is 8,600 (increased in 2004) with Red Srein Turf (installed in 2010).  Additional temporary seating is utilized to accommodate large crowds, which brings the capacity to nearly 12,000.

Image result for roos field mascot swoop

EWU started FB in 1901 and are 553-419-23.
Mascot is Swoop
Eagles marching band
Outfitter is Adidas

• Upvote 1

The field is aligned nearly north-south, offset slightly to the northwest, at an approximate elevation of 2,450 feet

Related image

In 2012 a state-of-the-art video scoreboard was installed.

image.jpeg.312b9f6bc8f2d792c2aaf309e1d42427.jpeg

$5M gift for EWU's donor-funded Stadium Renovation
https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/sep/19/5m-gift-gets-ewu-off-to-a-strong-start-in-roos-fie/

Boise State has a blue field, 1986.
Green dominates the landscape in college football.

10 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

The HAWKS fly to Eastern Washington U (Cheney, Wash.) for a Saturday 6:05 PM central time game at Roos Field, built in 1967.

image.jpeg.5fa2317a982f04dd2fd0d7986328a097.jpeg

Image result for roos field seating chart

image.jpeg.028333eef116cfc63a8822a56ded2ffa.jpeg

Capacity is 8,600 (increased in 2004) with Red Srein Turf (installed in 2010).  Additional temporary seating is utilized to accommodate large crowds, which brings the capacity to nearly 12,000.

Image result for roos field mascot swoop

EWU started FB in 1901 and are 553-419-23.
Mascot is Swoop
Eagles marching band
Outfitter is Adidas

its a 4:05 Central Time start, not 6:05.  I'm assuming you adjusted for time change after it was already adjusted more.

On 9/21/2019 at 8:46 AM, UND-FB-FAN said:

If Chaves is competent, he’ll change the seating arrangement.

Move the students down and provide season tickets for midfield (40 to 40) on both sides of the field! 

I sent Chaves an email about moving the students and he answered they have never considered moving the students because of all the support the students give to the university.

I also asked him why the men’s basketball schedule hasn’t been posted and he said they are waiting for one contract to be signed and that it would be better next year.

i guess more people need to email him about football seating arrangements.

Yikes - what they do for students now is incredible compared for the return they get. Free bus rides, free tailgating, free tickets, prize giveaways for attending (numerous sports), scholarship prizes - students got none of that a couple of decades ago and were much more a part of the game atmosphere (of course there were no smart phones to bury our noses in at every break in the games back then).  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1