SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Attendance

SiouxFan100

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

wanna have more students ACTUALLY go into the game?  remove the 50/50 chance that they get a minor from the Gestapo if they have even had one sip outside tailgating?

they aint taking the risk...

There was a significant police presence this week. Has it always been like that? I guess I never realized 6 or more cops were there before.

• Like 1

I was under the impression that if you break the law there are consequences 

‘I believe minors would be treated that way too

too much emphasis put on drinking at tailgating

i talked to a couple  students at the game that could hardly walk no,less drive, they were 21

its not worth looking the other way just to get students at the game 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Kab said:

i talked to a couple  students at the game that could hardly walk no,less drive, they were 21

I agree that we shouldn't condone it, and if a kid is like the ones you saw who couldn't walk, they shouldn't be at the game. But I enjoyed a few before the game when I was that age. Didn't seem to have the cop presence at old Memorial but maybe my memory is fuzzy.

12 hours ago, Kab said:

Maybe there should be a dwi checkpoint at the exit to the parking lot?  Don't break the law, no problem.  

The point is that students are under the microscope.  Its completely normal for students to drink... but many don't want to risk it, especially aviation students, and especially when many dont want to go to the game in the first place.

Just now, Dagger said:

Do you have to drink to go to ball games? You can talk to people and watch game without drinking. 

You serious?  The answer to your question is obvious - yes.  However, the goal is to make the game more appealing.  This is a college football game, not your daughters t-ball game....

• Upvote 4

13 hours ago, Kab said:

lower the drinking age to 18 and we're good.  18 for everything...voting, booze, guns, military service, (call me weird but i don't think people should be allowed to drive til their 18...)

28 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

If we’re talking college students then we need to understand their priorities. They want to have a good time. They’re going to drink, it’s a Saturday.

One son got a minor consumption in college

”Mom, they’re just cracking down so hard on the football team. I mean we were just having a kegger in a house and someone called the police. The O line snuck upstairs (do you have a vision on that???) and we locked ourselves in a bedroom. We would have been ok but one of the girls started crying.. We all got busted.”

thank God he wasn't driving.... but it bugs me all the students walk away and don't attend the game

4 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Here police officers were pulling students off student buses after games and checking them for alcohol, so what was the unintended consequence of that - students started driving themselves to games and driving home buzzed or worse. 

That shouldn't be happening. Those officers likely drank in college themselves and should be happy they aren't driving. It's not news that college kids drink so as long as they aren't driving or creating a scene they should be left alone.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

That shouldn't be happening. Those officers likely drank in college themselves and should be happy they aren't driving. It's not news that college kids drink so as long as they aren't driving or creating a scene they should be left alone.

“No way they should be allowed to have as much fun as I did in college. They can’t handle that responsibility.”

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CMSioux said:

Here police officers were pulling students off student buses after games and checking them for alcohol ... 

I struggle to believe that. Cops have enough to do besides pulling kids off shuttle buses. And frankly, an honest cop would tell you they'd rather the kid be on the shuttle than behind a wheel. 

If a cop were to pull someone off a shuttle I'd guess it's more for disorderly than drunk. 

• Upvote 3

Part of problem is that today's college students don't "have a couple" while watching Herbie and Puck win a World Series; today's college students intentionally, consistently drink themselves to oblivion ("blacked out")*. 

*18-20 year olds experienced a 56% increase in binge drinking between 1993 and 2001 (source)

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I struggle to believe that. Cops have enough to do besides pulling kids off shuttle buses. And frankly, an honest cop would tell you they'd rather the kid be on the shuttle than behind a wheel. 

If a cop were to pull someone off a shuttle I'd guess it's more for disorderly than drunk. 

UPD doesn't have anything better to do.