SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Attendance

SiouxFan100

10 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

That's fair. I was really disappointed with the overall attendance. I don't know what the answer is but we have to do better. 

The west side bleachers aren't very full this season. They eastern side was pretty full. 

4 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

It's more than just that.  In 2016 we played NAU the last game of the season.  UND was currently 8-2, and 7-0 in Big Sky play.  We were playing for at least a share of the Big Sky title.  This team was great and was guaranteed to be in the playoffs.  A win would get us a Conference Championship and potentially a bye (which it did) in the FCS playoffs.  Even with all that going on, the announced attendance for that game was 9,049.  If that game doesn't get people in the seats, I am wondering what will.

If students aren't going to games, get rid of their prime seats at the 50 yard line.  With UND moving to the MVFC next year, there are plenty of fans that would gladly purchase season tickets in those sections.  It's time.  Move them to end sections and sell those price seats to people that are actually going to show up. 

I agree that we need improved attendance - We need some enthusiasm from the students and a buzz among those who are not regular attendees.  I think this will take time to build and needs to start on the field.  Remember, we were suffering for 6 years of Muss - sideline dancing provided for free.  The 4 years previous to the playoff year we were 5-6, 3-8, 5-7, and 7-4.  Our record since moving up in 2008 is a combined 43-45 - not the foundation for a great fan base we had hoped.  And sadly, the 9,000+ fans at the playoff game were treated to perhaps the worst half of Sioux football I have seen in many years - and a colossal coaching failure.  This playoff season was followed by 3-8 and 6-5 seasons.  It's hard to sell mediocrity.  In addition,  Muss's antics were followed by 5 years of watching Rudy call the plays, This team has at times been very frustrating to watch.  We need to get that enthusiasm we had during our DII heyday.  We had a stud defense and the crowd felt part of the play making noise on 3rd down and making it a very hard place to play.  If we regain the swagger the fans will come.  If we stay around .500, 8-9,000 will be the norm.  Time to build a team that can compete with those mouth-breathers down south.  

• Upvote 4

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/ucla-gave-away-tickets-to-oklahoma-game-but-fans-still-didnt-show-up-135550368.html

UCLA gave every season ticket holder four free tickets to their game against #5 Oklahoma this weekend, the stadium was still shockingly empty and a majority Oklahoma fans. This is a nationwide problem highlighted by people not wanting to see a poor product on the field. While a "marquee matchup" increased UCLA's attendance from previous games it doesn't sustain the numbers if the product is not entertaining.

UND has a unique opportunity moving into next year.  Teams switch conferences more often now, including UND.  3 This will be our 4th new conference in the past 13 seasons.  That being said, next year we are reuniting with former conference opponents USD, SDSU, and NDSU.  Teams that we played for decades.  UND's marketing team will be pushing heavy to sell season tickets for football and selling the fact that home games between USD and SDSU are on the schedule for 2020 and NDSU in 2021.  How much more successful would that effort to sell season tickets go if you made sections 213 and 214.  Fans that are Champions Club members that have invested the money in club fees as well as season ticket prices are much more likely to go to games than students that get free tickets.

The students are given some of the best seats in the house for football and are not showing up.  I am not saying get rid of the student section.  Just move them to the ends and give non students the ability to have the prime seats for games.  Much like the majority of other Universities do at their football stadiums.

• Upvote 2

Maybe the athletic department should have written an open letter to the students before the season began stating expectations for attendance numbers and sticking around the whole game.    And if they failed to meet those expectations, those prime seats would be sold to season-ticket holder‘s next year, and the student section would be moved to the end.   And point out to them the end is where the student seats are in nearly every college football stadium.  

11 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Maybe the athletic department should have written an open letter to the students before the season began stating expectations for attendance numbers and sticking around the whole game.    And if they failed to meet those expectations, those prime seats would be sold to season-ticket holder‘s next year, and the student section would be moved to the end.   And point out to them the end is where the student seats are in nearly every college football stadium.  

I don't think a warning is necessary.  It's no secret that student attendance is down especially at UND.  It has gotten to a point where if and when they move the student section to the end, the response will be "what took so long?  Surprised they didn't do it sooner?"  Also, the outrage by the tens of fans is something that isn't going to gain much traction.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I don't think a warning is necessary.  It's no secret that student attendance is down especially at UND.  It has gotten to a point where if and when they move the student section to the end, the response will be "what took so long?  Surprised they didn't do it sooner?"  Also, the outrage by the tens of fans is something that isn't going to gain much traction.

You make a good point about the "tens of student fans"  lol.   I was just thinking to give a warning so the overaction/fake outrage that is so common nowadays  wouldn't occur.  Like when a total of 200 people attended UND women's hockey playoff games, but thousands were faux upset over dropping the program.  

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Is there a breakdown of student fees that designates x number of dollars towards football seats?    

Reducing fees by the difference in value of midfield seats vs end seats would seem to be an equitable solution.  

(I don’t mean dollar for dollar reduction; but rather some percentage break down based on the fraction of their student fees based on football seats)

Don't have time to read the other responses, but all the seats in the building have the same face value, assuming the students aren't paying the champions club fees for season ticket holders.

When you go online to buy tickets the end sections are rather empty 0n both sides but the rest looks like they are all sold

if the students were moved their current sections would be able to be sold to the public instead of the end sections, a lot of people prefer the better seats 

• Upvote 1

Just now, andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!! said:

But will there be more fans (total) in the building week to week?

I don't think so.  You would just have people moving seats. 

Plenty of good seats available if people want to go.  I was on the 40 yard line east side.  Plenty of open seats all around.  Maybe they were sold, if you don't like your seat, more to one you like more.  I do it all the time and have never had a problem.

During 5 years at NDSU I never once was turned off from going to a game because we didnt have the best seats. 

I dont think many schools provide students with the best seats. It'd be one thing if kids were going but if it's as bad as you guys are saying, I doubt many students will even notice if you move them or take away some seats.

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

Don't have time to read the other responses, but all the seats in the building have the same face value, assuming the students aren't paying the champions club fees for season ticket holders.

My bad. For some reason I thought the last couple sections near the ends were cheaper. 

The more responses I read here,  I’m on board with just move the students already and see if more people will show up if they can buy a better seat. 

If you are a member of the public, and see that there are a ton of seats available, but only on the ends, basically on the 10 yard line to the end zone...would you spend the money/make the effort to go to the game, or just watch on TV? 

Move the students, open up more prime seating for the public.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, ChrisUND1 said:

If you are a member of the public, and see that there are a ton of seats available, but only on the ends, basically on the 10 yard line to the end zone...would you spend the money/make the effort to go to the game, or just watch on TV? 

Move the students, open up more prime seating for the public.  

For the SAME PRICE as the best seats in the house!  The lack of pricing tiers is pure negligence.

Move the students then we can all complain when even fewer students show up and even more leave early... You seriously can't have it both ways. You cannot force the students to the end and also expect them to show up and leave all of the cheering.  If you move the students it's time for the general public to step up...

• Upvote 2

I wonder what the ratio of grand forks residents to out of town fans is that attend the games.

i know a lot of fans that drive a long distance to attend.

i never see many promotions fr0m business to get fans to attend

• Upvote 1