SiouxSports.com Forum

Who would UND hire?

F'n Hawks

1 hour ago, Goon said:

Wouldn't UND fans want to have a legit Division I FCS coach that is a proven winner? I know it would never happen, but Montana State's head coach is from 25 miles down the road. He'd look really good on the UND sideline. I know it will never happen because he's an Ex-Bison Player. 

No reason for him to come here. He is already at an excellent FCS school. His next step is likely either FBS or NDSU. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, iramurphy said:

Nonsense. Doesn’t matter where they come from. Don’t limit the pool, cuz you may miss the right guy. When the time comes, one of the biggest issues is salaries for head coach and key assistants. 

Agreed….miney talks and there have been some big salary increases and buy outs….BIG

get the right guy…

On 11/12/2023 at 10:05 AM, F'n Hawks said:

I looked back at some old threads. There was a poll for Deboer/Bubba and Deboer had the majority on this forum. 

If the best person available happens to have UND ties, then hire him. But we can’t have what happened last time, as I feel the fact that Bubba had UND ties had too much weight in their decision.

Or Deboer would have failed at UND and it would have ruined his college coaching career. We will never know. Also we never would’ve known how long he would have stayed at UND if he was highly successful.

heck even Danny would be gone if he wasn’t so loyal to UND. There is a reason he was appointed heir …..

On 11/12/2023 at 12:05 PM, Irish said:

However Chave's decision to extend Bubba after a 5-6 season is the main reason we are mired in mediocrity now.

Guess it must be something in the Dakotas.
Last year Nielson got an extension coming off a 3-8 season with a 42% winning percentage.
Stiegelmeyer got plenty of extensions while stuck between that 5-8 regular season win mark.

• Downvote 3

36 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Guess it must be something in the Dakotas.
Last year Nielson got an extension coming off a 3-8 season with a 42% winning percentage.
Stiegelmeyer got plenty of extensions while stuck between that 5-8 regular season win mark.

Don’t they do contracts year by year down there?

40 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Heard something like that about SD once. Not sure if it's (still) true.

Somewhere in the SEC (Mississippi?) state law limits public employees to 4-year contracts. 

48 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

They changed it in 2016. I believe they can go up to at least 3 years (unless they have further modified it).
To that point, SDSU could have moved on from Stiegelmeier multiple times over his two decades with no buyout.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Devils said:

Not sure the math quite checks out on that one, that'd be about 9.5 mill/year.  So about 8 years worth at that rate.  

I heard it on an XM radio station...so it must be true.

I bet it's that much over the time they need to make the payout.

My bad

• Like 1