SiouxSports.com Forum

Who would UND hire?

F'n Hawks

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

Really curious to see all your thoughts on this.  Assuming UND could get him, and at a price within our budget, would you guys want him? 

I am quite confident that Wyoming will be Bohl's last coaching job before retirement...

Helluva coach...helluva program builder...but he's not coming here.

49 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Possibility and my guess.........UND will hand the reins to Danny and not open up the process, either this year or next.  Thoughts??

Or, could be a fake process then hand the reins to Danny.

I would agree. Even with the frustrating last few weeks, I think Danny can be a really good head coach. He just has that moxie about him. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, sioux24/7 said:

I would agree. Even with the frustrating last few weeks, I think Danny can be a really good head coach. He just has that moxie about him. 

I was very excited about him as a head coach until this current year.  Based on the offensive performance since the NDSU game Im not nearly as sold.. UNI / USD /first half of Indiana St were complete debacles from an offensive perspective.  At least some of that has to rest on Danny's shoulders.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wheelsup said:

I was very excited about him as a head coach until this current year.  Based on the offensive performance since the NDSU game Im not nearly as sold.. UNI / USD /first half of Indiana St were complete debacles from an offensive perspective.  At least some of that has to rest on Danny's shoulders.

And I don’t disagree that he deserves blame there. There’s more to being the head coach than X’s and O’s though. 

I guess I just feel like he will likely be the next head coach if Bubba is ever to step away and I will be good with that. I know others desperately want outside the UND circle but I don’t think it HAS to be that way. I’d be fine if it is but it doesn’t have to be in order for it to succeed. We did it with basketball and half the people complaining on the football pages about UND hires also hate Sather so idk. 

23 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Some forget that this is not Danny's team and Bubba still runs the show. Danny deserves his chance.

Danny is associate head coach or something like that.. I realize Bubba still "runs the show" as the head coach but I would guess that while its bubbas team its Dannys offense through and through including all play calling / strategy etc.

Also when it comes to D1 football.. I dont think anyone "deserves his chance" to be the head coach... as the next argument will be.. he needs 4+ years as they were bubba's recruits.. and then it will be.. we dont have enough money for the buyout. 

Whenever there is a head coaching change at the D1 level there should be a search for the best available candidate unless there is some overwhelming reason to stick with a current staffer.. i.e history of success / continuity.  I dont think UND football fits any of those criteria.  This isnt a promotion to the manager of your local subway restaurant that you can fire in 6 months if it doesnt work out.. its somebody you are going to pay 1 Million+ over the next 4 years to lead the squad hopefully to greatness.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

Possibility and my guess.........UND will hand the reins to Danny and not open up the process, either this year or next.  Thoughts??

Or, could be a fake process then hand the reins to Danny.

I’m very confident, but not certain, that Danny could do (and will do) a better job than “toe to toe” Bubba. Nice guy, but not a great head coach. 

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

I avoided this thread after the USD game, but now caught up on it. A little surprised that it hasn’t been started up again after yesterday. I am not expecting any jobs lost come tomorrow, but I do hope at some point in the off season we have a new HC (due to Bubba retiring).  I’m sure it will be Danny, which seemed exciting at one time but who knows now. At least some things would have to be shaken up in that scenario. A new OC could potentially better recognize game flow strategy. Like many, I think a complete overhaul on defense is necessary. Don’t know if Danny at HC would be brave enough to show Joel the door.