SiouxSports.com Forum

Who would UND hire?

F'n Hawks

On 12/1/2023 at 4:14 PM, F'n Hawks said:

I hope Bubba makes me eat crow, but USD and SDSU sticking with their coaches is buying him more time IMO. It’s easy to point to those examples instead of making the right decision. I hope I’m wrong and we have a good year, but I am not very optimistic going into next year.

usd, up until this year, had a similar, if not worse, record than UND.  they put it together to make a nice run this year.  next year will be more telling if this year is an outlier, or the new norm.    SDSU, on the other hand, have been steadily getting better, and better every year.   we are more like USD, than SDSU, in my opinion.  dont think Bubba can get us to the SDSU level.

26 minutes ago, 1972 said:

usd, up until this year, had a similar, if not worse, record than UND.  they put it together to make a nice run this year.  next year will be more telling if this year is an outlier, or the new norm.    SDSU, on the other hand, have been steadily getting better, and better every year.   we are more like USD, than SDSU, in my opinion.  dont think Bubba can get us to the SDSU level.

I agree with a lot of what you say and others. When Bubba does retire or leaves. Hopefully the foundation he leaves springboards UND to a Natty like what happened with Duluth in D2 when he left. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

Just wait til he’s coaching a top tier SEC team.

You’d think we would have learned talent is better than loyalty and familiarity by now with DeBoer being prime example #1.

Yet here we are, at UND with a different AD, still extending coaches after losing seasons, still awarding loyalty/familiarity when clearly there are more talented coaches out there … 

• Like 1

DeBoer is a big what if, if hired he would have needed 2-4 years to turn it around. Took 2 years at Fresno before Washington, UND FCS, UND it would taken longer, I think. (Before I joined the board, I thought he would have been solid hire, however, I did not see his rise be like a Chip Kelly). 

Fresno 7-1 10-4 first year gone most staff went to Washington 

4-4 8-4 2nd year without DeBoer

3rd year would show if there is continued success at Fresno.

Continued success would not have been a given, DeBoer may be a home run but, there is that chance if one of his  assistants stays he may not be a great head coach. 

• Upvote 1