SiouxSports.com Forum

Who would UND hire?

F'n Hawks

1 minute ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Yes.

Here’s the next question. If we win next week and lose in the 1st round is he done? Or win next week and things don’t go our way next week with the other bubble teams and don’t make it? 

I don’t want to root for this team to lose, but you have to wonder if they win and sneak in the playoffs it’s almost like the USD win in the Mussman era.

• Upvote 1

Just now, F'n Hawks said:

Here’s the next question. If we win next week and lose in the 1st round is he done? Or win next week and things don’t go our way next week with the other bubble teams and don’t make it? 

I don’t want to root for this team to lose, but you have to wonder if they win and sneak in the playoffs it’s almost like the USD win in the Mussman era.

Chaves will do what he wants and Bubba is under contract til 2025. Absolutely no reason to get super excited about this program right now. Of course, we will all continue to support it.

3 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Chaves will do what he wants and Bubba is under contract til 2025. Absolutely no reason to get super excited about this program right now. Of course, we will all continue to support it.

If Chaves continues to reward mediocrity then he should be on the chopping block  

I don’t see him doing anything until contract is over, god forbid that he does another extension but he has a history of doing that 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Shawn-O said:

Luke S. would throw his name in the hat.  

Why because he is originally from UND? Idaho just lost to Weber State today, much worse team than USD at home . Not saying I hate Luke.....but if he wasn't from UND would he really be on UND's radar? 

If we do go through a coaching search, I would love to see us draw from a broader pool of candidates than just guys with UND ties. 

Jeff Thorne and Spence Nowinsky come to mind as seemingly good coaches with successful track records and are familiar with the Midwest. No idea how interested they would be, but hopefully we consider those types of candidates. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

I want someone that wants to elevate their career. I’m not saying a 2 year stay and gone for some low level FBS coordinator but if our coach gets poached to be an FBS head coach, that likely means things were going well. 

Agreed. At this level of football (FCS), you have to accept (and expect) the possibility your coach may leave if you’re successful. Quite obvious when looking at NDSU over the past 10 years. And there’s no way Bubba fits that category at this juncture.

There are several potential candidates for hire, whether coordinators in FCS or even low-tier FBS schools, FBS position coaches, and probably the most popular would be current division II head coaches who have been very successful. 

44 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

We need a pool with no UND ties 

Nonsense. Doesn’t matter where they come from. Don’t limit the pool, cuz you may miss the right guy. When the time comes, one of the biggest issues is salaries for head coach and key assistants. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Nonsense. Doesn’t matter where they come from. Don’t limit the pool, cuz you may miss the right guy. When the time comes, one of the biggest issues is salaries for head coach and key assistants. 

Been 30-40 years of UND guys.  Crazy to think there may be better options out there right

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

A major concern is that last time a hiring decision for UND football head coach occurred (2013), the final decision came down to a candidate with UND ties (Bubba) vs candidate without UND ties (DeBoer), and the decision made - in hindsight - was undoubtedly the wrong one. 

No question on the salary pool though; in order to make competitive offers, need to have a salary pool that competes with UND’s primary competitor institutions: NDSU and SDSU. Have to compete both on and off the field. 

10 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Been 30-40 years of UND guys.  Crazy to think there may be better options out there right

Didn’t say that at all. You don’t limit options. You find the best coach available. That could be from a small college like Sioux Falls with no UND ties for instance, but could be someone with UND ties. It doesn’t matter where they are from it matters where they are going and where they can take the program. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, iramurphy said:

It doesn’t matter where they are from it matters where they are going and where they can take the program. 

I agree. And based on the potential pool of candidates, that easily could be someone with no UND ties. The top DII head coaches potentially interested have no UND ties.