SiouxSports.com Forum

Who would UND hire?

F'n Hawks

21 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Absolutely, it’s run by a bunch of delinquents.

I know a lot of people in North Dakota with $ to spend but the Champions Club and Alumni Foundation puts up their noses to them. They spend so much time trying to get the big bucks (i.e., the big time donation) from select donors, that they fail to realize there are several moderate donations all over the place that they could be capitalizing on. 

I think UND athletics fundraising, beyond the hockey community, is god awful. I mean, how could you say it’s not? UND’s non-hockey sports budget is below average… not good enough to yield banners on a consistent basis, that’s for sure. 

Hate to say it, but NDSU Team Makers has blown UND out of the water the past decade. 

I would completely agree with you in this.

SPECIFICALLY the lack of attention to the mid-moderate levels of Champions club spending. They need to do a much better job recruiting and celebrating those gifts from football alum and supporters.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SD UND said:

I disagree.. what irks me about NIL is that athletes were whining for years... "i want to get paid for my likeness.. blah blah blah"

Then, the NCAA allows it to happen...."Ok go make money off yourself." 

Now instead of the athlete going out and setting it all up and actually earning their money, they expect the coaches and booster clubs to set it up for them.... that's not what it was intended for. Just drives me nuts.

We can all dislike it, but we can't ignore it. We need NIL accounts and lots of money in them.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Frozen4sioux said:

SPECIFICALLY the lack of attention to the mid-moderate levels of Champions club spending. They need to do a much better job recruiting and celebrating those gifts from football alum and supporters.

Just curious-what amounts are considered mid-moderate levels?

18 hours ago, Shawn-O said:

Landry and Schleusner have been gone long enough that they would bring a fresh approach and be potentially viable candidates in the future, IMO.   

Maybe. Maybe not. I just don't know why a football program with 15 years of mediocrity would want to keep inbreeding with coaching hires. 

Find the best guy for the job.  If he happens to have spent time in Grand Forks,  great.  But how likely is that? 

There are hundreds of college football teams. Thousands of coaches.  Many of whom would love to an opportunity to build  their resume at this level. Coordinators, big time position coaches take these types of jobs. Lower division head coaches like moving up..

Just need some imagination. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Frozen4sioux said:

This has been going on forever.  My dad was in a leadership position In UND letter winners org back when Gino was AD.  Even then he complained that the athletic department was only interested in the whales and not the many smaller donors.  It obviously worked out with Ralph but they’re leaving a lot on the table. 

• Like 2

On 9/27/2022 at 6:05 PM, The Sicatoka said:

So why aren't we ahead of SDSU? 

So ... recruiting, facilities, head start, uh-huh, uh-huh, ... When they jumped their facilities were junk and they were an average DII regarded as a basketball school. Yet, there they are today. 

Might they have simply had a vision, then developed a plan, and then executed it, regardless of. and not focusing on, what was happening around them either internally or externally? 

1 hour ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Look forward! Not backward silly

You seem like you want your brain melted ... ;)

How's this: 
According to this source, he’s one of the 30 hottest coaches under 30 in college FB.
https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/247Sports-30Under30-2022-list-top-young-coaches-in-college-football-190685546/#190685546_7

He played at MSU-Moorhead …

8 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

You seem like you want your brain melted ... ;)

How's this: 
According to this source, he’s one of the 30 hottest coaches under 30 in college FB.
https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/247Sports-30Under30-2022-list-top-young-coaches-in-college-football-190685546/#190685546_7

He played at MSU-Moorhead …

Wow!

7 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

So ... recruiting, facilities, head start, uh-huh, uh-huh, ... When they jumped their facilities were junk and they were an average DII regarded as a basketball school. Yet, there they are today. 

Might they have simply had a vision, then developed a plan, and then executed it, regardless of. and not focusing on, what was happening around them either internally or externally? 

Bingo 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Goon said:

The culture for UND football needs to change for there to be steps moving forward. 

I'm genuinely curious on what specifically are the "culture" issues that need to change? 

DeBoer and Bubba spent 4 years together at SIU. I doubt they have all that much different of philosophies on culture. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Irish said:

The culture where a 5-6 coach gets extended.  The shuckey darn culture where "we've just got to get better" - year after year.  The culture where 6 years of Muss and 9 years of Bubba is just great.  

Yeah, that's not culture. That's expectations. And I'm not sure I'm pinning that at the football team level either. Regardless, if that was truly the case, then they are wasting a lot of time and effort in the investments currently being made in the program. 

The reasons for plenty (though not all) of those decisions have been hashed over time and time again and are much easier to criticize (or agree with) given hindsight. Plenty, though again not all, were at least justifiable at the time to anyone who's willing to be objective (which is a big ask for some people). 

Go ahead and save the "accepting mediocrity" bit, that's been beaten to death as well. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, shep said:

Just curious-what amounts are considered mid-moderate levels?

You know in my mind that's the 500-1500ish level maybe...

even 200 to 500 need to be celebrated. IMHO

Heck I gave $50 to summer hockey thing one time and I got a call from someone AND a card from coach.

I felt appreciated.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Yeah, that's not culture. That's expectations. And I'm not sure I'm pinning that at the football team level either. Regardless, if that was truly the case, then they are wasting a lot of time and effort in the investments currently being made in the program. 

The reasons for plenty (though not all) of those decisions have been hashed over time and time again and are much easier to criticize (or agree with) given hindsight. Plenty, though again not all, were at least justifiable at the time to anyone who's willing to be objective (which is a big ask for some people). 

Go ahead and save the "accepting mediocrity" bit, that's been beaten to death as well. 

59dba2e32da56_BillLumberghDisagreeWithYou.jpg.facb46f3a7f9d8dd1708f6566f0e7dd2.jpg

Leaders set the culture which then sets the expectations which then produces results.

At the end of today the result of this game matters.....not "Aw shucks we just need to tackle better".

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I get the impression at times that UND is afraid to "hang a number" on an opponent. Other schools roll up 56 and never come off the throttles. UND gets a lead then then sits back and plays for the end of the game. It's like UND is afraid of more than 30 points on their side of the ledger. That's the leadership's doing. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Yeah, that's not culture. That's expectations. And I'm not sure I'm pinning that at the football team level either.

So what are those expectations from Administration.

Bill gives the impression that this is good enough. I'm giving Andy a full season at the helm to make observations. 

• Like 1