SiouxSports.com Forum

Who would UND hire?

F'n Hawks

50 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Been 30-40 years of UND guys.  Crazy to think there may be better options out there right

Gene Murphy, Roger Thomas and Dale Lennon had UND ties. Pat Behrns had UND ties, struggled here moved to FBS as an assistant then to Omaha as a head coach a with better success. Bubba had UND ties. There may be better options out there so we don’t limit the pool so we don’t miss best option. 

22 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Gene Murphy, Roger Thomas and Dale Lennon had UND ties. Pat Behrns had UND ties, struggled here moved to FBS as an assistant then to Omaha as a head coach a with better success. Bubba had UND ties. There may be better options out there so we don’t limit the pool so we don’t miss best option. 

Great names, but UND has only won one national championship ever. There has been, and will continue to be, opportunities for greater success. Need to always pursue greater excellence and not become complacent (which is where I think the program and department currently is). 

UND ties certainly should not be a prerequisite or preferred criteria in hiring process; it limits the ability to find (and ultimately hire) the best candidate in moving UND football forward to unprecedented success. Again, see and learn from 2013 process.

2 minutes ago, rochsioux said:

Does Bubba have two years left on his contract?

Yes. I don’t know any details of the contract, as far as options for buyout or void years. 

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/college/und-signs-football-coach-bubba-schweigert-to-two-year-extension-through-2025#:~:text=GRAND FORKS — UND football coach,Chaves said in a statement.

image.thumb.png.81b212c321d5f0213876c02e4aaf0e66.png

40 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Wouldn’t care if there were UND ties if those in charge of making the hire didn’t give that extra weight, which it seems like they have in the past.  It reminds me of how a lot of people want term limits for Congress, but when it comes to their own state, they are great guys and they keep re-electing them. If things aren’t getting better your term limit is up.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I looked back at some old threads. There was a poll for Deboer/Bubba and Deboer had the majority on this forum. 

If the best person available happens to have UND ties, then hire him. But we can’t have what happened last time, as I feel the fact that Bubba had UND ties had too much weight in their decision.

• Upvote 4

Just now, F'n Hawks said:

I looked back at some old threads. There was a poll for Deboer/Bubba and Deboer had the majority on this forum. 

If the best person available happens to have UND ties, then hire him. But we can’t have what happened last time, as I feel the fact that Bubba had UND ties had too much weight in their decision.

No question. Honestly, can’t put any weight towards UND ties, with 2013 being the prime example of why. 

6 minutes ago, F'n Hawks said:

And his brother pushing for him via the gobc…

and pushing for a “Hawks” nickname.

That said, RIP Lowell.

Remember, we change the nickname to host home playoff games how many home playoff games that we hosted

also, we need to hire someone that’s a winner you can’t teach winning I’m sorry to say, but Bubba has never been a winner check his record at Duluth, southern Illinois, etc.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Tony annesse is very intriguing 

Wouldn't UND fans want to have a legit Division I FCS coach that is a proven winner? I know it would never happen, but Montana State's head coach is from 25 miles down the road. He'd look really good on the UND sideline. I know it will never happen because he's an Ex-Bison Player. 

55 minutes ago, zonadub said:

And his brother pushing for him via the gobc…

and pushing for a “Hawks” nickname.

That said, RIP Lowell.

Agreed - I'm certainly not a mover and shaker in Sioux athletics, but I was personally lobbied by the gobc several times.  That group is strangely silent now after 10 years.  That certainly moved the needle for us to hire a 22-21 coach instead of an up and comer.  However Chave's decision to extend Bubba after a 5-6 season is the main reason we are mired in mediocrity now.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Goon said:

Wouldn't UND fans want to have a legit Division I FCS coach that is a proven winner? I know it would never happen, but Montana State's head coach is from 25 miles down the road. He'd look really good on the UND sideline. I know it will never happen because he's an Ex-Bison Player. 

We couldn’t afford him. Go look at annesse record. Plus he almost beat Montana in Montana with his d2 squad 

• Upvote 2