SiouxSports.com Forum

Who would UND hire?

F'n Hawks

14 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

The DC job could and probably should open up this offseason. This is something we should be pushing for because the defense this year was unacceptable. Something major needs to change and it’s not just a personnel problem. We can’t endure another season of poor defense.

How many DCs under Bubba so far?  Schmidt, Holinka, Schwenzfeier?  Need to get that defense figured out.

2 hours ago, Dustin said:

How many DCs under Bubba so far?  Schmidt, Holinka, Schwenzfeier?  Need to get that defense figured out.

The game has passed the current head coach's defensive philosophy by.   I don't see another DC being successful.  Hope I'm wrong!   

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Shawn-O said:

The game has passed the current head coach's defensive philosophy by.   I don't see another DC being successful.  Hope I'm wrong!   

I mean, doesn't it depend on what and how they implement it?  Like some people were saying, scheme doesn't necessarily matter, but you've got to recruit well to whatever scheme you're trying to implement.  Blitzing on 3rd and long will work if you get home.  But if you don't, that's a lot of open receivers downfield.  So maybe don't send that many on the blitz if your defensive athletes aren't better than the offensive athletes.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Dustin said:

I mean, doesn't it depend on what and how they implement it?  Like some people were saying, scheme doesn't necessarily matter, but you've got to recruit well to whatever scheme you're trying to implement.  Blitzing on 3rd and long will work if you get home.  But if you don't, that's a lot of open receivers downfield.  So maybe don't send that many on the blitz if your defensive athletes aren't better than the offensive athletes.

The jimmys and joes are just as, if not more, important as the X’s and O’s. Turner would get home on 3rd and long often. We didn’t have anyone even close to that level of speed off the edge this year. Hit the portal hard. We need edge rushers.

Also, how in the hell do we have 0 LB recruits right now? 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

The jimmys and joes are just as, if not more, important as the X’s and O’s. Turner would get home on 3rd and long often. We didn’t have anyone even close to that level of speed off the edge this year. Hit the portal hard. We need edge rushers.

Getting to the QB without sending five or six guys would be preferable.

5 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

The DC job could and probably should open up this offseason. This is something we should be pushing for because the defense this year was unacceptable. Something major needs to change and it’s not just a personnel problem. We can’t endure another season of poor defense.

Defense will be the same as long as the “defensive-minded” head coach stays around as the “leader”.

45 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I agree with you. Defense is bare.

Having no next level talent on defense hurts. CJ Siegel has a chance, but anyone else? A DI program - whether FCS or FBS - needs some top end talent if want to be a national championship contending program. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I agree with you. Defense is bare.

Having no next level talent on defense hurts. CJ Siegel has a chance, but anyone else? A DI program - whether FCS or FBS - needs some top end talent if want to be a national championship contending program. 

I like our young body types at CB. We also have bigger bodied DL that redshirted this year. I really hope they can step up next year. But OLB is Rucker and nobody else. We can’t survive with that. OLB is the position that saves the secondary. We need athletes on the edge and a lot of them.

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

LB was thin this year, something needs to change big time and having 0 LB commits makes it even worse 

1 hour ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Never said we need to bring in another DC that runs a 3-4, bubba needs to swallow his pride and change the scheme 

My comment wasn’t a direct response to anyone or anyone’s comments, just an observation at large that we seem to be going through DCs without much changing. That’s the part that needs to get figured out. 

2 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

“Who would UND hire”?  

I would like to see someone with  the following criteria:

To have a better record than 61-50 in 10 years  ( 6-5 /yr)

To have a better record than 9-23 vs playoff bound teams in regular season play 

To have more than 5 playoff appearances and 1 playoff win in 10 years 

To score more total points  than the opponents- (under bubba -2859 to 2864 in 10 years )

To have more than 1 victory against a playoff bound opponent on the road 

To have a better record than 19-38 on road games 

To someone that can adjust in game 

For someone that can motivate the players 

For someone that doesn’t look like he wants to s$&! his bridges during the game (show confidence) 

For someone that can recruit players that are needed for und to take the next step  

That’s a good start I think 

Wow great post man. Hopefully Chaves will know who is 100% for sure, no possible way of being worse, better than that when he hires them

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

5 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Getting to the QB without sending five or six guys would be preferable.

Turns out Bubba’s initial press conference about the mother of the opposing quarterback being uncomfortable was pretty far from the reality, even with sending everybody.

• Upvote 4

17 hours ago, UND1983 said:

Ralphie and the downvote dorks are out again!!!

Okay … ever think that maybe the hire made in late 2013 by Brian Faison was wrong? Ever?

Maybe it wasn’t wrong at that time (although in hindsight it definitely was wrong considering the alternative was current Washington head coach Kalen DoBoer) but it certainly is wrong now. 

Perhaps, just perhaps, Bubba Schweigert - who has had the opportunity to serve 10 seasons as UND head football coach - and UND athletic department should recognize it’s time for a change. The current setup may just not be the best one for UND football at this time, and it’s okay to accept that. 

• Upvote 1

I hope Bubba makes me eat crow, but USD and SDSU sticking with their coaches is buying him more time IMO. It’s easy to point to those examples instead of making the right decision. I hope I’m wrong and we have a good year, but I am not very optimistic going into next year.

• Upvote 3