SiouxSports.com Forum

Who would UND hire?

F'n Hawks

On 11/17/2023 at 4:36 PM, CMSioux said:

Some forget that this is not Danny's team and Bubba still runs the show. Danny deserves his chance.

If he is the best candidate. All else equal, I would reward his loyalty. If we find a better candidate, the job should go to the best available candidate. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, gfhockey said:

Loyalty? Do you think other schools chomping at the bit to get him?

I didn’t say that. I simply said you hire the best candidate. (When I used to go to Judy’s, even Maynard and Shorty could figure out what I meant).
I also said IF there wasn’t a better candidate than Danny, all else being equal, I would reward his loyalty. 

I remember when people were even more opposed to hiring an assistant coach and former player from our struggling hockey team as a potential head coach. No one else was chomping at the bit to hire him either. 

11 hours ago, Shawn-O said:

Very interesting.  Eric Eidsness sort of popped off the page at first blush. Maybe Matt Limegrover.  

Spence Nowinsky jumps off the page to me. Successful MAC DC with lots of ties to the midwest based off his coaching history. Mankato grad. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, gfhockey said:

We’ll be the birdie in his ear and let him go to Bemidji st

Let's not talk about Bemidji as some small college throw-away program...they do a lot of things right out there and have a coaching staff that probably is more apt to move up than we have currently!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Not sure if someone mentioned his name before, but what about Todd Hoffner from Mankato?  13 seasons coached for the Mavericks and they are 122-30 with 7 Conference titles, 9 playoff appearances, and a National Championship in 2019. Also, He was born and raised in Esmond, ND!!

Yeah, he’s come up several times. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, MNHawk said:

After seeing their offenses over the past couple years, I’d contact the Idaho OC long before I reached out to the UND OC. 

A lot can happen in a year, but I'd guess he'll continue to hitch his wagon to Eck, which seems smart as things stand.  

3 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Not sure if someone mentioned his name before, but what about Todd Hoffner from Mankato?  13 seasons coached for the Mavericks and they are 122-30 with 7 Conference titles, 9 playoff appearances, and a National Championship in 2019. Also, He was born and raised in Esmond, ND!!

Can he coach defense and a 4-3??? 

5 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

This is an interestingly speculative thread. When the job opens, *when*, then I suspect a name or two will throw their name into the hat. 

As for now, there is no job opening, and there might not be for a couple seasons yet … very frustrating indeed.

The DC job could and probably should open up this offseason. This is something we should be pushing for because the defense this year was unacceptable. Something major needs to change and it’s not just a personnel problem. We can’t endure another season of poor defense.

• Upvote 1