SiouxSports.com Forum

Who would UND hire?

F'n Hawks

8 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Yeah, that's not culture. That's expectations. And I'm not sure I'm pinning that at the football team level either. Regardless, if that was truly the case, then they are wasting a lot of time and effort in the investments currently being made in the program. 

The reasons for plenty (though not all) of those decisions have been hashed over time and time again and are much easier to criticize (or agree with) given hindsight. Plenty, though again not all, were at least justifiable at the time to anyone who's willing to be objective (which is a big ask for some people). 

Go ahead and save the "accepting mediocrity" bit, that's been beaten to death as well. 

UND extended a coach after a 5-6 season. That’s the issue. Nothing else. Nothing more.

Culture and expectations are not where they need to be. Matter of semantics, really. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I get the impression at times that UND is afraid to "hang a number" on an opponent. Other schools roll up 56 and never come off the throttles. UND gets a lead then then sits back and plays for the end of the game. It's like UND is afraid of more than 30 points on their side of the ledger. That's the leadership's doing. 

Agree, have always had that “gut feeling” with Bubba teams. They just want to go “toe-to-toe”. Which is why I think his teams will always underproduce for UND, unfortunately. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jdub27 said:

I'm genuinely curious on what specifically are the "culture" issues that need to change? 

DeBoer and Bubba spent 4 years together at SIU. I doubt they have all that much different of philosophies on culture. 

Do we want to be compared to SIU or teams in the upper echelon of FCS? I believe that we need to get coaches that have come from winning programs that know what it takes to win. While I like Bubba, he's an awesome guy, I think the current head coach is stuck in the DII mentality. Frankly, I am tired of watching our teams swim in mediocrity. I know that others are too. 

• Like 1

On 9/26/2022 at 2:28 PM, gfhockey said:

Bubba is not a closer too

helluva speaker and great guy but he is too nice to close the deal I think

i could see him across the table about ready to secure a $10miion donation and  tells the people well you may only want to do $5 million so your kids can have the other $ 5 million too as family is very important 

i heard tom serratore was at the big tap in cass lake on wednesday eve trying to get a much money as possible to get money for higher end recruits....that's commitment!!!!!!!!!

16 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

If we can establish some consistency on the road, then I'll be more optimistic about the future. Until then, I will remain skeptical.

Your me right.. winning on the road is super easy… everyone does it all the time.

We just beat the number 7 team in FCS by two scores…

im not for firing bubba, but i honestly would like to see someone different at some point, just to see all of you say the same things about the new guy. 

bubba does a great job with the program. Let’s let him play it out. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, SD UND said:

Your me right.. winning on the road is super easy… everyone does it all the time.

im not for firing bubba, but i honestly would like to see someone different at some point, just to see all of you say the same things about the new guy. 

If we lay an egg next week at Youngstown, today won't mean much.

1 hour ago, SD UND said:

How long do you suggest we let him play it out? 9 years of .500 football seems like he has been given a pretty fair shot?

By the way.. the game today was super fun.  I believe almost everyone would love for bubba and UND football to succeed.  I know I sure do.. but how long do we wait? 9 years.. 10 years? Maybe he will figure it out in his 11th year and string together two winning seasons in a row.

im going to enjoy the victory today.. I’m going to hope the team keeps rolling.. but the idea that there are a bunch of bubba haters or that he hasn’t been given a fair shot doesn’t line up with the facts.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...