SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. Gophers - SATURDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

1 minute ago, siouxfan512 said:

From acros th ice it looked like a major. From the other angle it was definitely not. Had the Gopher player extended his arm and pushed it would have been a little more vicious. Flip the players around and our fans would be ticked bout a major being called.... not that the Goofs can score on the PP anyway.

Agreed.  Their PP is something like 3-31 this year including 0-11 this weekend....(sounds like some of the starts UND has had)  Their PK is no picnic either, they entered the weekend killing only 12 of 18.  I believe gave up 4 pp goals against the Sioux.

UND dominated all weekend. Credit to the freshies too. 

That’s probably the worst MN team I’ve seen in a while.  They should have been swept and already have 3 loses on the year. 

Funny how Casey got injured. Start drinking some milkshakes and hitting the weights son. 

UND has some nice deep on D. 

Yon got in tonight. He didn’t really do much. He needs to continue to work and get better.

a nice win!

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

To those who now think UND is an offensive juggernaut after last night.....they scored one even strength goal by a transfer. They then scored 3 PPGs all by defensemen. At some point this team to win NCHC games if going to need production from Gersich and Pogo on a fairly regularly basis. Neither registered a point this series. Sprinkle in Rhett, Hoff and a couple freshman. Wolanin is outstanding offensively from the back end. This teams strength is overall team defense and it's PK.

Spot on.  Teams that hang banners score 5x5; we'll need some of that to go along with the back end D.

1 hour ago, SiouxForever said:

a nice win!

UND dominated more Friday than they did Sat 5x5.  I'd say UM probably had the edge Sat 5x5.  

But yeah, a nice win. 

It looked to me that the biggest difference in the two nights, other than the 3-goal major, was the way we found shooting lanes from the point.  I'm sure they talked about being smarter and more patient after Friday, and it showed. 

2 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

From acros th ice it looked like a major. From the other angle it was definitely not. Had the Gopher player extended his arm and pushed it would have been a little more vicious. Flip the players around and our fans would be ticked bout a major being called.... not that the goods can score on the PP anyway.

I thought it was way worse than it was live but the replay showed it should have only been a cross check minor and it was a terrible call. The Gopher player did hold up and really didn't extend his arms. I know if it was the other way around and somebody on the Sioux got thrown out for a play like that I would have been absolutely livid with the call.

1 hour ago, SiouxForever said:

That’s probably the worst MN team I’ve seen in a while.  

I would have to agree. Either that or und is better this year than it has been. It's funny how I felt und dominated friday and lost, but won on Saturday night where the play was fairly equal.

2 hours ago, SiouxForever said:

That’s probably the worst MN team I’ve seen in a while.  They should have been swept and already have 3 loses on the year. 

Funny how Casey got injured. Start drinking some milkshakes and hitting the weights son. 

UND has some nice deep on D. 

Yon got in tonight. He didn’t really do much. He needs to continue to work and get better.

a nice win!

What if he just got dinged up? Why start bashing the kid. He plays the game the right way.  Take positives from the weekend and move.  Squad looks good.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

I thought it was way worse than it was live but the replay showed it should have only been a cross check minor and it was a terrible call. The Gopher player did hold up and really didn't extend his arms. I know if it was the other way around and somebody on the Sioux got thrown out for a play like that I would have been absolutely livid with the call.

That's the way I saw it too.  Just unfortunate that it proved to be a 3-goal stretch, though I think the first goal would have fallen within the 2 minute minor, wouldn't it?

And I get those who read the rule by the letter and conclude the ref had no choice.   Just looked like the wrong call to me.   But given the way the gophs like to go down all the time, can't say they didn't have a bad call coming. 

Wish we played them more.

2 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

What if he just got dinged up? Why start bashing the kid. He plays the game the right way.  Take positives from the weekend and move.  Squad looks good.

They do look good.  Looking forward to seeing how they fare in Madison. 

13 minutes ago, burd said:

That's the way I saw it too.  Just unfortunate that it proved to be a 3-goal stretch, though I think the first goal would have fallen within the 2 minute minor, wouldn't it?

And I get those who read the rule by the letter and conclude the ref had no choice.   Just looked like the wrong call to me.   But given the way the gophs like to go down all the time, can't say they didn't have a bad call coming. 

Wish we played them more.

I agree, it was a bad call by the refs but I don’t feel sorry for the Gophers. We you dive and embellish constantly and try to minipulate refs into making calls, when something like this happens, it’s called karma.

• Upvote 3

Put me in the "thought the gophers would be better" category.  With all those draft picks and high skill guys.  I thought they'd  score at least 5 this weekend.  Maybe UND's d core is better than I think. 

Long season though, and they have a tremendous goaltender.

Credit to Mike Guentzel for their play in their own end.  Blocking shots and great gap control.

Bast is an instant boost to our blue line.  Great player.  Wolanin on a different level right now.  Kid is good.

mismash quietly putting up a point per game...great players do that.  They end up on the scoresheet even when they don't dazzle...and when they do dazzle...look out.

adams and Jones arguably our 2 best forwards at the moment.  Who'd have thunkit?

cam steadily driving that career gaa down to 2...

pogo and gersich not scoring like we need them to, but are causing enough angst that we are winning the line match up battles deeper in our roster...exactly what a depth team needs to do.

11 hours ago, tnt said:

This doesn't feel far removed from that: "How in the hell did a program of our stature, with the best fans in the country, and coming off a a National Championship two years ago end up with a team with no scorers or playmakers.  This is painful to watch."

I admit to some drunk frustration posting after watching us make another goalie look like an all-american.  I still maintain my main points - This team doesn't have a lot of firepower at the front.  Gersich has been almost invisible and the Europeans have not taken that next step.  Even on Saturday, most scoring was on the power play and driven by defensmen.  We have potential, but some guys need to step up their game.  We could certainly use a top end finisher and playmaker such as Boeser on this team.  Watching us shoot into the goalie's chest time and time again is very frustrating to me.  The season is young, but some crisp passing and well placed shots would be a huge benefit to us.  As to recruiting, I maintain that we are among the top 2-3 programs in the country with several great selling points - the best arena, the best fans, a proven winning record, and a proven record of developing NHL players.  Not saying at all that we should get every recruit, but we should have the inside track on some studs.  I, too, am basking in the warm glow of beating the Gophers, but I fear all of our scoring kinks are far from worked out.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Our second line should be written in stone for the foreseeable future. They had nice chemistry and made stuff happen. Gersich seemed off last night. Maybe trying to hard to prove something. You could tell the gophers weren’t used to that level of physicality. I think it’s a shame that game was put out of reach with the major. I would have liked to see how things would have played out 5v5 in a tight game.

30 minutes ago, Irish said:

I admit to some drunk frustration posting after watching us make another goalie look like an all-american.  I still maintain my main points - This team doesn't have a lot of firepower at the front.  Gersich has been almost invisible and the Europeans have not taken that next step.  Even on Saturday, most scoring was on the power play and driven by defensmen.  We have potential, but some guys need to step up their game.  We could certainly use a top end finisher and playmaker such as Boeser on this team.  Watching us shoot into the goalie's chest time and time again is very frustrating to me.  The season is young, but some crisp passing and well placed shots would be a huge benefit to us.  As to recruiting, I maintain that we are among the top 2-3 programs in the country with several great selling points - the best arena, the best fans, a proven winning record, and a proven record of developing NHL players.  Not saying at all that we should get every recruit, but we should have the inside track on some studs.  I, too, am basking in the warm glow of beating the Gophers, but I fear all of our scoring kinks are far from worked out.  

No need to further explain, I understand now, your first sentence says it all.

1 hour ago, Mhockey said:

I would have to agree. Either that or und is better this year than it has been. It's funny how I felt und dominated friday and lost, but won on Saturday night where the play was fairly equal.

I was actually impressed with how they played D and blocked shots, very unGopher like. The thing that surprised me the most was how bad they were on the power play. It's always seemed like no matter how good our teams have been that taking a penalty against the goofs was always a bad idea. Without checking I think they were 0-11 on the PP this weekend. If someone had told me they would have 11 PP chances on the weekend without scoring once I would have had a hard time believing them. I recorded the game and watched it this morning, you can put me in the category of thinking that checking from behind should've been a 2.

7 minutes ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

I was actually impressed with how they played D and blocked shots, very unGopher like. The thing that surprised me the most was how bad they were on the power play. It's always seemed like no matter how good our teams have been that taking a penalty against the goofs was always a bad idea. Without checking I think they were 0-11 on the PP this weekend. If someone had told me they would have 11 PP chances on the weekend without scoring once I would have had a hard time believing them. I recorded the game and watched it this morning, you can put me in the category of thinking that checking from behind should've been a 2.

I tried to tell everyone their power play was worse than ours and no one believed me, so you’re not alone in that thinking haha. 

The thing is that the Gophers, as long as I can remember, lived and died by the power play. I feel like they might be in a heap of trouble if they don’t figure it out. 

As for That checking from behind ... in real time I thought it was a 5, but on replay it didn’t look as bad as initially thought. 

2 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

I think the officials had to call that a 5 in order to maintain control of the game.  They know that a Gopher-Sioux match-up is a tinder box, and you can't risk it spiraling.  If that's a 2, then "the edge" gets established a little further out...I actually thought the officials did a great job in term of establishing what was a penalty and then calling the game consistently.  Maybe a make-up call on the one, but for the most part they set the rules of the game.  That's all you ask of the officials- set the boundaries and then call it consistently.

That's a good point.  I thought it was a bad call, but I'm sure that's what they were thinking, and it makes sense.   Despite not controlling play the way we did Friday, were were getting pucks on net, and I think we still would have won with only a minor on that play.  Doesn't matter, though.  You play the hand you're dealt.