SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. Gophers - SATURDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

13 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

I tried to tell everyone their power play was worse than ours and no one believed me, so you’re not alone in that thinking haha. 

The thing is that the Gophers, as long as I can remember, lived and died by the power play. I feel like they might be in a heap of trouble if they don’t figure it out. 

As for That checking from behind ... in real time I thought it was a 5, but on replay it didn’t look as bad as initially thought. 

They can't be as bad as they have been, and once Mittelstadt gets back and is comfortable with the set up, they should be a lot better, especially with some of the Big Ten defenses. Minnesota will be there in the end, so I doubt anyone is feeling sorry for them.

3 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

What if he just got dinged up? Why start bashing the kid. He plays the game the right way.  Take positives from the weekend and move.  Squad looks good.

Pretty sure the problem was not the injury, but that his mom couldn't get there in time to kiss his ouchie, otherwise he probably would have played.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, tnt said:

They can't be as bad as they have been, and once Mittelstadt gets back and is comfortable with the set up, they should be a lot better, especially with some of the Big Ten defenses. Minnesota will be there in the end, so I doubt anyone is feeling sorry for them.

That Friday game against Penn State Minnesota could have had 18 Mittelstadts out there and still would have lost, that's how bad they played.

Minnesota has had a problem for the last couple years that teams have exploited. Once Minnesota's D has the puck in their own end just put pressure on them and they will turn the puck over with either a bad cross ice pass or a bad neutral zone pass. 

4 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

I think the officials had to call that a 5 in order to maintain control of the game.  They know that a Gopher-Sioux match-up is a tinder box, and you can't risk it spiraling.  If that's a 2, then "the edge" gets established a little further out...I actually thought the officials did a great job in term of establishing what was a penalty and then calling the game consistently.  Maybe a make-up call on the one, but for the most part they set the rules of the game.  That's all you ask of the officials- set the boundaries and then call it consistently.

I had the same thought. I would have to go back and watch the tv broadcast but I remember a scrum after the whitstle with a late shot on a UND player that lead to the official having a lengthy conversation with MN minutes before that hit. So my guess is the conversation went something along the lines of “I should have put you the box for that one and anything borderline I’m going to call” then queue that hit. In that context a message had to be sent. Sometimes game flow has as much to do with the penalty as the hit itself.  For the record I was good with the original no call but also good with the 5 min major. 

For years, our fans have bellyached about the PP being garbage. After a Saturday game in which we scored 3 goals on a 5 minute one-man advantage, some people are bellyaching that those goals weren't 5 x 5. :blink:

Let's just enjoy the victory last night and look forward to the conference opener next week.

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

For years, our fans have bellyached about the PP being garbage. After a Saturday game in which we scored 3 goals on a 5 minute one-man advantage, some people are bellyaching that those goals weren't 5 x 5. :blink:

Let's just enjoy the victory last night and look forward to the conference opener next week.

<Slow clap>, so much this.

And we got a 4-0 lead 25 minutes into the game so our offense played conservatively which led to Minnesota 'controlling the play' and outshooting us.  At no point was Minnesota ever in that game. Major or minor we outplayed the gophs for a large portion of the weekend. 

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Amen brother!

• Upvote 1

http://undhockey.areavoices.com/?p=108464

"Lucia said that Casey Mittelstadt was injured on a cross-check to the back on Friday and seemingly was held out for precautionary reasons. He said he didn’t want to risk Mittelstadt aggravating his injury and wanted him back for next weekend’s series against Clarkson."

Lucia tries to put the blame on a cheap shot. Gonna call bs on that. Mittelstadt was simply too weak to hang in a game as physical as this series was.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

http://undhockey.areavoices.com/?p=108464

"Lucia said that Casey Mittelstadt was injured on a cross-check to the back on Friday and seemingly was held out for precautionary reasons. He said he didn’t want to risk Mittelstadt aggravating his injury and wanted him back for next weekend’s series against Clarkson."

Lucia tries to put the blame on a cheap shot. Gonna call bs on that. Mittelstadt was simply too weak to hang in a game as physical as this series was.

Really tDon is just preserving him so he is good to go along side Eichel for opening night next season in the NHL............... 

Methinks Goldy really misses coach Potulney managing their power play.  If he has success at Northern Mich you will really hear some hollering to see him take over in dinkytown.  

Their power play kind of had that back door play strategy in mind, but when UND took it away they had zero strategy and fell back to the old umbrella cross ice one timer and pray approach.  Not having their best player really hurt it on Saturday. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Methinks Goldy really misses coach Potulney managing their power play.  If he has success at Northern Mich you will really hear some hollering to see him take over in dinkytown.  

Their power play kind of had that back door play strategy in mind, but when UND took it away they had zero strategy and fell back to the old umbrella cross ice one timer and pray approach.  Not having their best player really hurt it on Saturday. 

Agree 100% on Potulny.