SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. Gophers - SATURDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

50 minutes ago, SiouxForever said:

Feels good beating MN again!

Solid effort with the squad. Too bad Jost wasn’t around for the fun. I like this team so far. 

Was he in the building tonight because of injury? I saw his mom there.

We couldn't score a single goal on the five minute major against uaa but get three from the gophers. Nice to see.

I feel like two minute minor was fine. Was surprised to see five. And even more surprised to see three goals. I'll take it. I'm sure goldy will complain about the nchc refs.

Bast, jones and Adams are players. Nice additions.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, tnt said:

But how do we do that without the talent?:silly:

I never said we don't have talent - what I said is we don't have any high-end scorers - Take the championship year - we needed what Boeser brought.  If others can develop the scoring I am fine with that.  However, about half of our games this year have been painful, shoot in the middle of the goalie affairs.  Some  returners need to get a scoring touch.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Irish said:

I never said we don't have talent - what I said is we don't have any high-end scorers - Take the championship year - we needed what Boeser brought.  If others can develop the scoring I am fine with that.  However, about half of our games this year have been painful, shoot in the middle of the goalie affairs.  Some  returners need to get a scoring touch.

The point is that you don't just get those players to produce right away very often.  Adams has been pretty good this year so far, and I would think his numbers are about as good as some of the BU freshmen, maybe even better if you count plus/minus, and that may be more important in many circumstances. Remember the cries of why can't we be as good as Boston College? Well they have been devastated by early departures like us the last few years, and they haven't exactly been able to just fill in with impact freshmen. Even if you get a first round draft pick, it doesn't guarantee immediate impact. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, PCM said:

Rule 50 - Hitting From Behind

50.1 Hitting From Behind - A player shall not push, charge, cross-check or body check an opponent from behind in open ice.

PENALTY—Minor or major at the discretion of the referee.

Hitting from behind into the side boards, end boards or goal cage is a flagrant violation.

PENALTY—Major and game misconduct or disqualification at the discretion of the referee.

Note: The committee reminds coaches and players that the responsibility remains with the player approaching an opponent along the boards in this rule. While players turning to draw penalties are a concern, the positive change in behavior the committee observed outweighs this issue. Any penalty in relation to this rule along the boards or into the goal cage must be a major penalty and a game misconduct or disqualification.

Glad I'm not the only one reading the rules and seeing that it was clearly supposed to be called a 5 minute major.

20 minutes ago, Irish said:

This doesn't feel far removed from that: "How in the hell did a program of our stature, with the best fans in the country, and coming off a a National Championship two years ago end up with a team with no scorers or playmakers.  This is painful to watch."

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, farce poobah said:

I agree.   To name just one bit of disgusting unsportsmanship by the Rodents, the embellishment when there's lower body contact and their guy responds by holding his face while he lies on the ice ... is simply insulting to all of hockey.   That should be embellishment, every time. 

Maybe they are covering their faces until they get the tears under control  :silly:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PCM said:

yRule 50 - Hitting From Behind

50.1 Hitting From Behind - A player shall not push, charge, cross-check or body check an opponent from behind in open ice.

PENALTY—Minor or major at the discretion of the referee.

Hitting from behind into the side boards, end boards or goal cage is a flagrant violation.

PENALTY—Major and game misconduct or disqualification at the discretion of the referee.

Note: The committee reminds coaches and players that the responsibility remains with the player approaching an opponent along the boards in this rule. While players turning to draw penalties are a concern, the positive change in behavior the committee observed outweighs this issue. Any penalty in relation to this rule along the boards or into the goal cage must be a major penalty and a game misconduct or disqualification.

You oughta share this over on gopher puck live as those morons from the cities are whining about the supposed home cookin’ that UND benefited from the NCHC refs. They are convinced that the outcome would’ve been different had only 2 been called rather than the 5. 

Oh, and they hate Cam Johnson for all of his “extracurriculars” after the whistle. 

1 hour ago, Irish said:

A little early to be making those assessments. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

To be fair, we caught a break on the major penalty. Should have been a 2 min cross checking.

Not sure about that.  Guy hit him in the numbers 3 feet away from the boards.  So it was a check from behind and a board, that’s 5.

7 hours ago, tnt said:

The point is that you don't just get those players to produce right away very often.  Adams has been pretty good this year so far, and I would think his numbers are about as good as some of the BU freshmen, maybe even better if you count plus/minus, and that may be more important in many circumstances. Remember the cries of why can't we be as good as Boston College? Well they have been devastated by early departures like us the last few years, and they haven't exactly been able to just fill in with impact freshmen. Even if you get a first round draft pick, it doesn't guarantee immediate impact. 

BC is going to have a lonnnnng year. They're struggling 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, fsioux said:

A little early to be making those assessments. 

..........and there are still some on this board like tnt that keep saying "It's still early....just wait til Wilkie pots one then he'll score a bunch"! ;)

4 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Not sure about that.  Guy hit him in the numbers 3 feet away from the boards.  So it was a check from behind and a board, that’s 5.

Exactly what happened. Right call.

To those who now think UND is an offensive juggernaut after last night.....they scored one even strength goal by a transfer. They then scored 3 PPGs all by defensemen. At some point this team to win NCHC games if going to need production from Gersich and Pogo on a fairly regularly basis. Neither registered a point this series. Sprinkle in Rhett, Hoff and a couple freshman. Wolanin is outstanding offensively from the back end. This teams strength is overall team defense and it's PK.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

That was a major penalty every time . Such a dangerous play to make. You would all feel different if he got injured. Plays like that need to be eliminated from hockey and 2 min penalties won't help it.

From acros th ice it looked like a major. From the other angle it was definitely not. Had the Gopher player extended his arm and pushed it would have been a little more vicious. Flip the players around and our fans would be ticked bout a major being called.... not that the goods can score on the PP anyway.