SiouxSports.com Forum

2016-2017 College Hockey (Non UND Hockey)

cberkas

8 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

You can have all the credibility in the world and still be extremely biased.

On KFAN last year, Lou said that the Gophers were the best team in the country so....

....so each player got to choose between a cookie or a sticker?:)

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, tnt said:

Hopefully our team knows just how important those games in Minneapolis are going to be for the gophers.  Sure, it will be important for us as well, but they won't have a game that creates that much atmosphere against the defending National Champions and heated rival for a long time. The East Grand Forks boys need to impress on some of the new guys the need to keep the "Golden Boy" image that Nanne espouses left with a bit of tarnish on it after the rivalry weekend.  One thing I guarantee you about that weekend, is that if the gophers win, the faithful will say how great the rivalry is and what a shame it was that it took this long to play, and if they lose, they should have never played us again because we are just a bunch of cheap hacks. 

Yup

• Upvote 3

I like Lou Nanne. His segments with Barriero are fantastic. sure, he is a Gopher homer but he also isn't afraid to call them out. My favorite quote from Lou a few years back heading into a Sioux-gopher weekend and the whiney gopher fans had been calling in and crying about how UND was cheap and rough and dirty, etc. Nanne said he didn't see it that way and said something along the lines of ....people need to remember that in hockey, physicality is a skill and it is a skill that the gophers do not possess and one that UND excels at...he elaborated on being tough in the corners and in front of the net, taking a hit to make a play, finishing a check but not taking yourself out of the play, etc.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Siouxperman8 said:

Everyone should be afraid for the UND season.  Lou Nanne was on KFAN today and said he wasn't impressed with UND after seeing them in person.   Said D and goaltending weren't strong.  Of course he says the goofs will be good.  But I know he has no bias.  

I don't dislike Nanne as much as I used to. His opinions are usually fairly reasonable. I think anyone could looks at those last few games and say UND didn't play their best hockey (score aside). We put up goals, but did not play as clean our fluid as we will later in the season. I've heard him speak highly of UND at times as well, so I don't think his opinions are usually unwarranted. Bias or not, the guy knows hockey. We'll see what his opinion is after the UND/MN series.

8 hours ago, DaveK said:

Who has more credibility : Lou Nanne or a bunch of random North Dakota fans on a message board?

In my humble opinion, I would trust the random UND fans on this message board. Lou Nanne is a shill/cheerleader for the Gophers and said some pretty funny stuff in the past. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, petey23 said:

I like Lou Nanne. His segments with Barriero are fantastic. sure, he is a Gopher homer but he also isn't afraid to call them out. My favorite quote from Lou a few years back heading into a Sioux-gopher weekend and the whiney gopher fans had been calling in and crying about how UND was cheap and rough and dirty, etc. Nanne said he didn't see it that way and said something along the lines of ....people need to remember that in hockey, physicality is a skill and it is a skill that the gophers do not possess and one that UND excels at...he elaborated on being tough in the corners and in front of the net, taking a hit to make a play, finishing a check but not taking yourself out of the play, etc.

I always loved that argument that UND is a squad full of knuckle dragging Nethanderal goons. The truth is they haven't played that way for a long time. 

• Upvote 1

I'm too lazy to do the digging but my guess is, UND has not been the league leader in PIMS oh, say the past five years. Our team and game has evolved, we don't have a roster loaded with 6'5" 230 lb D men and forwards who like to fight (this is not a criticism of past UND teams, simply an observation). When I think of UND's blue line these days, I think of guys like Simpson, Genoway, Stecher, etc. Fast, offensively gifted D men. Am I wrong?

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

Even if we ignore the fact that Nanne has some obvious bias, traditionally UND starts slower and gets better as the season goes on, Bemidji will actually be a good test for UND this week, Bitzer has been a very solid goaltender and the Beavers have are 4-0, I doubt they will still have perfect record after this weekend but the beavers have beaten UND in the past. We'll see.

Beavers play have played us pretty tough. Quite a few splits.

2 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Beavers play have played us pretty tough. Quite a few splits.

More ties than splits, but yeah, they sure are tough to beat.  I am sure they would love to beat us and really put themselves in a good position for down the road when pairwise starts to really take form.

16 hours ago, tnt said:

More ties than splits, but yeah, they sure are tough to beat.  I am sure they would love to beat us and really put themselves in a good position for down the road when pairwise starts to really take form.

Series History from UNDSports.com

UND had lost just twice (27-2-1) in the first 30 meetings between the two programs, but the series has narrowed in recent years with UND winning just once in the last five matchups (1- 1-3). The two teams played to a 4-4 overtime tie last Oct. 16 in Bemidji, but UND bounced back with a 5-2 win on home ice the following night in Matt Hrynkiw’s first collegiate start. Brock Boeser scored a hat trick in that game, his first home appearance at North Dakota.

4 hours ago, Goon said:

Series History from UNDSports.com

UND had lost just twice (27-2-1) in the first 30 meetings between the two programs, but the series has narrowed in recent years with UND winning just once in the last five matchups (1- 1-3). The two teams played to a 4-4 overtime tie last Oct. 16 in Bemidji, but UND bounced back with a 5-2 win on home ice the following night in Matt Hrynkiw’s first collegiate start. Brock Boeser scored a hat trick in that game, his first home appearance at North Dakota.

Who is going to tell Media Relations that record in the last 5 games is wrong?

We tied and won last year as noted, and the year prior was a split, losing 5-1 at home and winning like 3-2 or 2-1 in Bemidji. (I remember this because we left my cousin's wedding reception early to watch the rest of the game).That puts us at least with a 2 in the win column.

6 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Who is going to tell Media Relations that record in the last 5 games is wrong?

We tied and won last year as noted, and the year prior was a split, losing 5-1 at home and winning like 3-2 or 2-1 in Bemidji. (I remember this because we left my cousin's wedding reception early to watch the rest of the game).That puts us at least with a 2 in the win column.

Yeah, you're right, they're 3-1-1 last five against the Beavs.