SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2016 - 2017 Season

Frozen4sioux

On 6/16/2016 at 11:57 AM, MDtoGF said:

Our thoughts on Schmaltz's decision as a result of the trade yesterday. 

https://seamoresports.com/2016/06/16/will-schmaltz-return-should-he/

I agree with your assessment with one add- I don't think Nick rides the bus between the AHL and the NHL, I think he gets a cup of coffee in the NHL and then spends the year in the A.

Again- TJ Oshie was a similar prospect, and by playing at UND one more year, he found himself on a second line in the NHL his first year pro.  Same deal for Nick me thinks.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

I agree with your assessment with one add- I don't think Nick rides the bus between the AHL and the NHL, I think he gets a cup of coffee in the NHL and then spends the year in the A.

Again- TJ Oshie was a similar prospect, and by playing at UND one more year, he found himself on a second line in the NHL his first year pro.  Same deal for Nick me thinks.

And too that point. The "pro" aspect is probably just as much about skill as it about perception of skill (like a lot of things in life).

You don't make the NHL right away you will get lost in the minors among all others...long term that one or two extra years in college pays dividends. 

On June 1, 2016 at 9:59 AM, I Ranger said:

I like the idea of going strong up the middle with the four centers being Schmaltz, Jost, Gardner and Simonson. No chance Olson plays center. He has no where near the skating ability to play center .

Assuming Schmaltz is gone...which he will be

new lineup?

Gaardner - Jost - Boeser

Olson - Simo - Pogo

JJ - Gersich - Wilkie

Hoff - Gornall - Bowen, Smith , Yon

15 minutes ago, Scoop said:

Assuming Schmaltz is gone...which he will be

new lineup?

Gaardner - Jost - Boeser

Olson - Simo - Pogo

JJ - Gersich - Wilkie

Hoff - Gornall - Bowen, Smith , Yon

Olsen isn't going to be a second line player. JMHO.

So nothing official on Schmaltz signing yet but certainly everything pointing that way and I can't blame him if he goes. He would have been a dominant college player this year and I definitely think he is ready for the next step. He will have a chance to play for the Blackhawks right away and I think he will stick with them for good.

For the Sioux I would think they will bring in another forward but it will be interesting to see who. Probably another forward already in the pipeline like Adams, Keane, or Mattson. Without knowing who if anyone they will bring in to replace Schmaltz I'd go:

Gersich-Jost-Boeser
Janatuinen-Gardner-Poganski
Hoff-Simonson-Wilkie
Yon-Bowen-Olson
Gornall,Smith

Ausmus-Wolanin
C.Poolman-T.Poolman
Shaw-Johnson
Chartrand,Peski

Johnson
Tomek
Hrynkiw
Anderson

It will be very interesting now to see what happens in goal this year.   Whoever is in net will be called upon to do more than what was required of Cam and Matt last year.   I'd like to see Tomek get a chance to show what he has, not because I doubt Cam but because we will need two extremely good tenders this year IMO.   And that's not a slight on Matt either.  He's obviously capable of holding the fort.

18 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

So nothing official on Schmaltz signing yet but certainly everything pointing that way and I can't blame him if he goes. He would have been a dominant college player this year and I definitely think he is ready for the next step. He will have a chance to play for the Blackhawks right away and I think he will stick with them for good.

For the Sioux I would think they will bring in another forward but it will be interesting to see who. Probably another forward already in the pipeline like Adams, Keane, or Mattson. Without knowing who if anyone they will bring in to replace Schmaltz I'd go:

Gersich-Jost-Boeser
Hoff-Simonson-Wilkie
Yon-Bowen-Olson
Gornall,Smith

Ausmus-Wolanin
C.Poolman-T.Poolman
Shaw-Johnson
Chartrand,Peski

Johnson
Tomek
Hrynkiw
Anderson

Yup. I see Gersich on the top unit.

18 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

Gersich-Jost-Boeser
Hoff-Simonson-Wilkie
Yon-Bowen-Olson
Gornall,Smith

Ausmus-Wolanin
C.Poolman-T.Poolman
Shaw-Johnson
Chartrand,Peski

Johnson
Tomek
Hrynkiw
Anderson

I like those lines, not sure Bowen cracks the lineup but I like most of what you have there.  I could see Wilkie up top however I believe him and Boeser play RW.

21 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

Gersich-Jost-Boeser
Hoff-Simonson-Wilkie
Yon-Bowen-Olson
Gornall,Smith

Ausmus-Wolanin
C.Poolman-T.Poolman
Shaw-Johnson
Chartrand,Peski

Johnson
Tomek
Hrynkiw
Anderson

Only switch I make is to flip Wilkie and JJ, but I absolutely think JJ could fit in that spot, too.

21 minutes ago, Emerald joker said:

So what was that awesome news that everyone was gonna be happy for about a month ago suppose to be? Everyone thought Schmaltz might stay but that was wrong.

Schmaltz was very, very, very close to returning. That was the news at the time.

• Upvote 1