SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2016 - 2017 Season

Frozen4sioux

8 hours ago, tho0505 said:
2016-17 Roster
No. Name Pos. Yr. Hometown (Prev School)
20 [C] Gage Ausmus D Sr. East Grand Forks, Minn. (U.S. NTDP )
30 Matt Hrynkiw G Sr. Saskatoon, SK (Humboldt-SJHL)
3 [A] Tucker Poolman D Jr. East Grand Forks, Minn. (Omaha-USHL)
10 [A] Johnny Simonson F Jr. Grand Forks, N.D. (Lincoln-USHL)
11 Trevor Olson F Jr. Duluth, Minn. (Sioux City-USHL)
14 [A] Austin Poganski F Jr. St. Cloud, Minn. (Tri-City-USHL)
33 Cam Johnson G Jr. Troy, Mich. (Waterloo-USHL)
13 Mike Gornall F So. Irwin, Pa. (Topeka-NAHL)
16 [A] Brock Boeser F So. Burnsville, Minn. (Waterloo-USHL)
18 Chris Wilkie F So. Omaha, Neb. (Tri-City-USHL)
19 Shane Gersich F So. Chaska, Minn. (Omaha-USHL)
21 Danys Chartrand D So. Winnipeg, Manitoba (Flin Flon-SJHL)
22 Rhett Gardner F So. Moose Jaw, SK (Okotoks-AJHL)
24 Christian Wolanin D So. Rochester, Mich. (Muskegon-USHL)
25 Joel Janatuinen F So. Espoo, Finland (Sioux City-USHL)
28 Hayden Shaw D So. Woodbury, Minn. (Dubuque-USHL)
31 Matej Tomek G So. Bratislava, Slovakia (Topeka-NAHL)
35 Ryan Anderson G So. Roseau, Minn. (Roseau High School)
17 Tyson Jost F Fr. Penticton, BC
7 Zach Yon F Fr. Roseau, MN
9 Dixon Bowen F Fr. East Grand Forks, MN
27 Ludvig Hoff F Fr. Norway
6 Colton Poolman D Fr. East Grand Forks, MN
5 Casey Johnson D Fr. Grand Forks, ND
4 Andrew Peski D Fr. Orleans, ON
26 Cole Smith F Fr. Brainerd, MN

It's amazing to see a roster so young and feel like it's completely stacked. I know we lost a few excellent players, all time greats, but we brought in some really talented guys. It's weird but I think we may have a better team this year of the d is figured out. The firepower is insane.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

It's amazing to see a roster so young and feel like it's completely stacked. I know we lost a few excellent players, all time greats, but we brought in some really talented guys. It's weird but I think we may have a better team this year of the d is figured out. The firepower is insane.

I'm guessing we will be picked 2nd or 3rd in our league, and without as much offense from our defense will need to score more on the power play to make up for that.  If guys don't make the next step, then we may have problems, although that can be said of most.  You don't lose 5 players to the pro ranks and an all time great like Caggiula and not feel the pain.

5 minutes ago, tnt said:

I'm guessing we will be picked 2nd or 3rd in our league, and without as much offense from our defense will need to score more on the power play to make up for that.  If guys don't make the next step, then we may have problems, although that can be said of most.  You don't lose 5 players to the pro ranks and an all time great like Caggiula and not feel the pain.

I think we'll be fine. We had some major contributions by FR and so players and there were others that could have easily pulled more weight but were pushed so far down the depth chart due to the ridiculous depth.  I've got a good feeling about this year.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

So here's what I've got up front then

Scoring 1:  Gersich, Jost, Boeser

Scoring 2:  JJ, Gardner, Pogo

Scoring 3:  Hoff, Simo, Wilkie

Checking/Energy:  Yon, Bowen, Olson

On D, the big question mark is whether or not you load up Ausmus and T.Poolman together as the top pairing or if you split them up in order to protect the freshmen D. 

I was thinking switch Wilkie and JJ

4 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I think we'll be fine. We had some major contributions by FR and so players and there were others that could have easily pulled more weight but were pushed so far down the depth chart due to the ridiculous depth.  I've got a good feeling about this year.

I think Gersich will score a lot more if he's on a first line with Boeser and Jost if that happens

1 hour ago, tnt said:

Agreed, but if we get the production we all expect from Jost and Wilkie and Gerisch improve to the level we saw a bit from them down the stretch, we'll be just fine, IMO. Rhett and Pogo will again produce. JJ chipping in a bit more, maybe 10-12 goals, would be huge.

1 hour ago, Emerald joker said:

I think Gersich will score a lot more if he's on a first line with Boeser and Jost if that happens

Agreed. Wilkie, Gersich, Gardner and Pogo are all on tap for big-time seasons. If we can get that, we're gonna be very good. I love our top 4 D with Pooly, Gage, Wolanin and Shaw.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Agreed. Wilkie, Gersich, Gardner and Pogo are all on tap for big-time seasons. If we can get that, we're gonna be very good. I love our top 4 D with Pooly, Gage, Wolanin and Shaw.

This year lines 2-4 will be significantly better thanks to experience. We were VERY young last year.

• Upvote 1

We do have some very solid dmen returning, but we had arguably the defense UND has had in a long time last year, and we do not know how much our offense will be affected by the changes at defense.  Hopefully, not much, but things like their ability to make good choices to pinch in the ozone and to make the good transition pass out of the dzone are very big deals for the offense.   We know Johnson will be tested more this year as well. 

No reason we can't be in the mix at the end, but there will be more bumps this year.  And that's OK.  It will be exciting.  As always.

3 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

This year lines 2-4 will be significantly better thanks to experience. We were VERY young last year.

Completely agree.  Our backbone was clearly our defense, as has been mention, might have been the best defense we have ever seen at UND.

Departures

No. Name Pos. Yr. Hometown (Prev School)
9 Drake Caggiula F Sr. Whitby, Ontario (Stouffville-OJHL)
17 Colten St. Clair F Sr. Gilbert, Ariz. (Fargo-USHL)
26 Coltyn Sanderson F Sr. Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan (Weyburn-SJHL)
29 Bryn Chyzyk F Sr. Virden, Manitoba (Fargo-USHL)
27 Luke Johnson F Jr. Grand Forks, N.D. (Lincoln-USHL)
4 Keaton Thompson D Jr. Devils Lake, N.D. (U.S. NTDP )
2 Troy Stetcher D Jr. Penticton, BC
6 Paul LaDue D Jr. Grand Forks, N.D. (Lincoln-USHL)
8 Nick Schmaltz F So. Verona, Wis. (Green Bay-USHL)

The 2016-17 team is going to have a completely different look. To think we had 11 freshmen last year, to this coming year potentially 9.  These coming year and last SHOULD have been rebuilding years.  Where most teams have a down year, we win a national title. It's seriously amazing to see the consistency in our program.  

4 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

I believe UND will be very good again this year, with Cam back in net, Jost coming in, and Berry as coach (yes, I attribute a lot of what happened last year to that).  However, as a team, UND is even younger this year.  Two seniors and five juniors, with 18 underclassmen = extremely young.

3 hours ago, burd said:

We do have some very solid dmen returning, but we had arguably the defense UND has had in a long time last year, and we do not know how much our offense will be affected by the changes at defense.  Hopefully, not much, but things like their ability to make good choices to pinch in the ozone and to make the good transition pass out of the dzone are very big deals for the offense.   We know Johnson will be tested more this year as well. 

No reason we can't be in the mix at the end, but there will be more bumps this year.  And that's OK.  It will be exciting.  As always.

Agree, we should be in the mix at the end, but it wouldn't surprise me if we lost twice as many games next year, which will still leave us in the mix.  Don't think there will be a lot of teams next year that have the kind of records like Quinnipiac and we had last year.  

22 minutes ago, OETKB said:

I believe UND will be very good again this year, with Cam back in net, Jost coming in, and Berry as coach (yes, I attribute a lot of what happened last year to that).  However, as a team, UND is even younger this year.  Two seniors and five juniors, with 18 underclassmen = extremely young.

We'll be again one of the youngest in college hockey, but that doesn't seem to be out of the norm for our teams the last 10 or so years. Most of our classes dwindle down to 3-4 by the time they are seniors.   Anyone recall the largest senior class that we have had in the last 10 years?  It can't be more than 6. 

I'm less optimistic.  The team loses two of the best D we've had in a long time in LaDue and Stecher, and two of the best forwards we've had in Caggiula and Schmaltz, plus other important players.  Replacing them requires everyone down the line to step up a notch, and we won't know if they are capable of it until it happens.  I think some will, and some won't, just because that's usually how it works.  Can they be there at the end?  No doubt, although you can say that about perhaps 25 teams each year.  I'll enjoy "good" or "very good" anyway, and I'll be thrilled to be wrong if "great" shows up again.

15 minutes ago, jk said:

I'm less optimistic.  The team loses two of the best D we've had in a long time in LaDue and Stecher, and two of the best forwards we've had in Caggiula and Schmaltz, plus other important players.  Replacing them requires everyone down the line to step up a notch, and we won't know if they are capable of it until it happens.  I think some will, and some won't, just because that's usually how it works.  Can they be there at the end?  No doubt, although you can say that about perhaps 25 teams each year.  I'll enjoy "good" or "very good" anyway, and I'll be thrilled to be wrong if "great" shows up again.

Please turn in UND fandom card at The Ralph before 5 today :D

13 hours ago, tnt said:

Who would be picked ahead of us?  I still have us #1 within our conference.  I must be missing a team that didnt lose a ton of players?  Duluth?

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, UND85 said:

Single game tickets for the series at St. Cloud go on sale Sept.1. So far no special "keep North Dakota fans out" rule has been established.

LINK

Its depressing seeing that  sm_574.jpg  logo in the schedule. They should go back to the interlocking ND. I do find it funny that St. clown thinks they already have home ice for the NCHC tournament:silly:.(I know it is just a place holder)

24 minutes ago, jk said:

But the team was very young last year.  You're forgetting to include the fact that our players from last year should continue to develop, especially last year's freshman group.  Even guys like TPoolman and Boeser can take a step forward.  I expect Shaw and Wolanin to have breakout years....the same can be said for JJ, Wilkie, and Gersich.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Who would be picked ahead of us?  I still have us #1 within our conference.  I must be missing a team that didnt lose a ton of players?  Duluth?

One can almost guarantee Schlossman will have Duluth at #1. ;)

• Upvote 3