SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2016 - 2017 Season

Frozen4sioux

39 minutes ago, MDtoGF said:

I think he can backup/start at some point.. I just don't want anything handed to one of our players... Tomek has no incentive to leave since he could only play in Fargo/lose a year for transfer rules. Him developing every day will lead to him playing its merely when..I think during a few games he will be given a chance.. and so will rinks and this competition may not be settled till half way into the season. 

Couldn't he go there now after playing one year in the US?  He wasn't red- shirted.

2 hours ago, MDtoGF said:

Good points made. I do think Tomek has plenty of talent but Cam played so well he earned the majority of starts (80 percent or more) the other twenty should be divied out based on earned performance and track record. Rinks has a college track record and plays well in games where the other team does not get a lot of shots.The key point of the article is that Rinks should be the backup until Tomek proves in practice and other areas that he deserves it. Its like giving the backup QB job to the unproven rookie with a ton of talent when you have a guy with some track record right there.. if the younger guy takes it fine, just do not want Tomek getting anything he has not earned. 

I think you're putting too much emphasis on the past season, but I see your point. As far as Tomek getting time that he hasn't earned, no way. Not how this program works. That being said, talent usually wins out, particularly in net.

For Tomek, why on earth wasn't he medically red shirted? With how long it takes for goalies to develop, it would be great to get an extra year out of him potentially.  

I also see him and Cam splitting time next year; I'd be nice to get 5-10 starts to get his feet wet.    Cam's two career starts wasn't ideally before this year...although that worked out ok....!

##  Name  GP-GS  Minutes  GA  Avg  Saves  Pct  Sho  PP  SH  EN  Pen  SOG 
33  Cam Johnson   34-33  1918:19  53  1.66  759  .935  24  14  0

Doesn't get much better than that stat line for a goalie...

4 minutes ago, tho0505 said:

For Tomek, why on earth wasn't he medically red shirted? With how long it takes for goalies to develop, it would be great to get an extra year out of him potentially.  

I also see him and Cam splitting time next year; I'd be nice to get 5-10 starts to get his feet wet.    Cam's two career starts wasn't ideally before this year...although that worked out ok....!

I'm very curious to see what kind of game Cam brings this year. He was such a rock for us down the stretch and pretty much all year. Interested to see how he does sans LaDue, Stecher and KT. 15-16's d-corps is one of the best that we've ever seen. I'm not expecting a step back, but it wouldn't shock me. I also don't think a "step back" will be a drastic drop off. Cam proved he's a heckuva tendy last year.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I'm very curious to see what kind of game Cam brings this year. He was such a rock for us down the stretch and pretty much all year. Interested to see how he does sans LaDue, Stecher and KT. 15-16's d-corps is one of the best that we've ever seen. I'm not expecting a step back, but it wouldn't shock me. I also don't think a "step back" will be a drastic drop off. Cam proved he's a heckuva tendy last year.

Can was good but are defense was so good that it made Cam that much better. I still think Cam and Tomeck split the time.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, tho0505 said:

I was wondering the same thing, however from what I hear he was talked out of it.  First there is no way he stays longer than 4 years (most goalies have to play in the minors for awhile anyway) and second we have some nice prospects coming in who will demand time (St. Cloud kid and Thome) by then.  I honestly think it is an appearance thing because it seems silly that he wouldn't have done it, especially considering he just turned 19.

11 minutes ago, Emerald joker said:

Can was good but are defense was so good that it made Cam that much better. I still think Cam and Tomeck split the time.

100% agree with both. That being said, Cam showed the ability to make big saves when called upon. A step back for him wouldn't be a cliff dive.

• Upvote 1

I think whomever the backup is will get the time Saunders got in the 13-14 season with Zane. Or less. If Tomek earns it in practice he will backup .. if Rinks does he will. One reason I like rinks is because how he handles lower shot total games,which is an area Cam himself said he needs work on.. If our defense limits say the Grifs to 10 shots when we play them do you want the guy who has experience handling that against better competition or Tomek? Start Tomek in some games sure but i think Rinks will get some time to, Berry is not afraid to defy convention .. many people here thought Tomek should have started second CC game at home after tie and he went with Cam. Look how that turned out. 

1 hour ago, tho0505 said:

He was able to play prior to the end of the year, so he can't get a medical redshirt.

1 hour ago, MDtoGF said:

I think whomever the backup is will get the time Saunders got in the 13-14 season with Zane. Or less. If Tomek earns it in practice he will backup .. if Rinks does he will. One reason I like rinks is because how he handles lower shot total games,which is an area Cam himself said he needs work on.. If our defense limits say the Grifs to 10 shots when we play them do you want the guy who has experience handling that against better competition or Tomek? Start Tomek in some games sure but i think Rinks will get some time to, Berry is not afraid to defy convention .. many people here thought Tomek should have started second CC game at home after tie and he went with Cam. Look how that turned out. 

Again, I think your overvaluing Rinks a little bit. I'll take the best talented goaltender. We wouldn't have recruited Tomek and he wouldn't have been drafted in the third round if he's not able to make saves against Canisius.

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Again, I think your overvaluing Rinks a little bit. I'll take the best talented goaltender. We wouldn't have recruited Tomek and he wouldn't have been drafted in the third round if he's not able to make saves against Canisius.

Barring injury, if rinks gets the nod to start a game before Matej....i wouldn't be shocked at all to see him leave. But its not going to happen. Barring injury, rinks doesn't see the ice next year

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Barring injury, if rinks gets the nod to start a game before Matej....i wouldn't be shocked at all to see him leave. But its not going to happen. Barring injury, rinks doesn't see the ice next year

I agree, actually. He's an undrafted walk on for a reason. Again, not taking anything away from him as he was a big part for us last year, but he is who he is.

3 hours ago, tho0505 said:

2 hours ago, Siouxman said:

He was able to play prior to the end of the year, so he can't get a medical redshirt.

A student can't normally get a "medical" or "hardship" redshirt if they have not used a normal redshirt year, and they definitely can't if they did not play at all and haven't redshirted. A medical or hardship redshirt is only for special cases. Every student gets 5 years from the time they start school to use up 4 years of eligibility. Medical or hardship redshirts usually give a 6th year because the student misses most of a 2nd or even 3rd season due to injury.

The redshirt does not have to be declared before the season starts, or any time during the season. If they didn't play in a regular season or post-season game they did not use any of that year's eligibility. If they play at all in a single game they are not eligible for a regular redshirt. If they are healthy enough to play before the last game the team plays they would not be eligible for a medical redshirt. Since Tomek didn't play in a real game this year he should automatically still have 4 years of eligibility left.

Redshirt Definition

The term "redshirt" is used to describe a student-athlete who does not participate in competition in a sport for an entire academic year. If you do not compete in a sport the entire academic year, you have not used a season of competition. For example, if you are a qualifier, and you attend a four-year college your freshman year, and you practice but do not compete against outside competition, you would still have the next four years to play four seasons of competition.

Each student is allowed no more than four seasons of competition per sport. If you were not a qualifier, you may have fewer seasons of competition available to you. You should know that NCAA rules indicate that any competition, regardless of time, during a season counts as one of your seasons of competition in that sport. It does not matter how long you were involved in a particular competition (for example, one play in a football game, one point in a volleyball match); you will be charged with one season of competition.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

It could turn into Goering vs Schweitzer 2.0 this year.

Or, from the wayback machine ... 1981-1982:  Jon Casey, Darren Jensen and Pierre Lamoureux battle it out for playing time.  Last time I recall three proven elite goaltenders to choose from.

4 hours ago, tho0505 said:

Most important stat:

National Championships: 1

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Interested to see how he does sans LaDue, Stecher and KT. 15-16's d-corps is one of the best that we've ever seen. I'm not expecting a step back, but it wouldn't shock me. I also don't think a "step back" will be a drastic drop off. Cam proved he's a heckuva tendy last year.

That is the great question. Arguably the deepest defensive core that we've had makes a huge impact on the goaltending stats.   Next year we can't expect any starter to be under well under 2.00 GAA. Obviously hope for the best, but we won't be nearly as strong defensively as we were this year. 

4 hours ago, MDtoGF said:

Goal Average  Saves  Record  Goals 
31  Zane McIntyre   42-41  2493:21  85  2.05  1111  .929  29  10  25 
33  Cam Johnson   2-1  43:19  5.54  13  .765  0

Nearly impossible to have a backup play less than Cam's freshman year. McIntyre the workhorse. I agree, hopefully we'll see double digit starts from Tomek to take pressure off Cam, but also to push them both (ie Dell / Eidness situation).

5 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Fair point, although I will note that the Flyers drafted three goalies that draft and all of them are ahead of him in terms of prospect depth charts.. Draft position should not be a sole indicator of talent. The draft is a guessing game at a point, and while i think Tomek will be good and live up to potential I think his draft round as a lone indicator is a bit far. Zane was better than O'Connor but O'Connor won that game because of Zane's fatigue and some very soft goals.. Its a preference thing . I prefer the goalie playing well now vs the one who hasnt, draft position is irrelevant.Good problem to have though having four college hockey goalies than can man the nets.. lest folks forget Anderson had the same amount of wins (imperfect i know) as Tomek in the NAHL during 2014-2015. 

http://thehockeywriters.com/philadelphia-flyers-goalie-prospects-fly-under-the-radar/ 

Look where the seventh rounder is .. KHL platoon mate next year. 

http://thehockeywriters.com/top-10-best-undrafted-nhl-goalies/