SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2016 - 2017 Season

Frozen4sioux

• 1 month later...

I never realized that UND was 3rd in the country EV corsi....our squad had some bad luck during the season.  The top two teams (PSU and MTU) had much easier schedules than us too.

UND is #2 in SF% in the country.  Our advanced stats all say we should have a much better record than we do right now.  Given our injuries, that's incredible.  FYI, Mike McMahon is posting this stuff.

• 1 year later...
On 9/14/2016 at 10:10 AM, Brucesky02 said:

The $100 price tag is aggressive. From their perspective, I can't blame them for trying it out though. I don't know what their single game ticket quantity available is, but if it was 2,000 seats per game, you're talking about $200,000 in extra revenue on the weekend.

That said...IMO - the UND athletic dept. should address this sort of pricing behavior in any future agreements with schools. Either a cap on the % increase allowed or a revenue share on any increase over the average ticket price that school charges. For conference games, the NCHC should exercise some muscle in stopping the similar behavior like we saw with the package requirements in Denver.

While these high ticket prices and package requirements make short-term economical sense for the schools, I believe they represent a long-term loss for college hockey. I witnessed a similar behavior in NASCAR. (grew up in NC) They had huge demand - the waiting list for tickets to the night race at Bristol was 84,000 people when I signed up in 1998. There were certainly some other factors like overbuilding grandstands (supply) and the poor economy, but when I started going to races in 1997, tickets were generally $20-$60. By the mid-2000s when their decline started, tickets were $75-$200. As people stopped coming, they lost interest.

I can't remember if there are any proven theories on this, but what I'm getting at is that sports economics is not a standard supply and demand chart. You can't just drop prices later and have demand increase at the same level. As you increase price, you reduce demand, and that reduction has a continued effect in the future as fans lose interest in the sport. 

The product hasn’t been great, which is certainly a big part of this picture, but I feel like the concepts I talked about above are well at play here. I don’t care what else was going on last night, this is a truly pathetic turnout for the Gophers.

ADF05F1D-0181-4702-84BF-D053C3F8F2EF.jpeg

7 hours ago, Brucesky02 said:

The product hasn’t been great, which is certainly a big part of this picture, but I feel like the concepts I talked about above are well at play here. I don’t care what else was going on last night, this is a truly pathetic turnout for the Gophers.

ADF05F1D-0181-4702-84BF-D053C3F8F2EF.jpeg

Don't forget all the #B1GMISTAKE people, making a dent in attendance at 3M arena.

On 3/21/2017 at 10:27 AM, scpa0305 said:

I never realized that UND was 3rd in the country EV corsi....our squad had some bad luck during the season.  The top two teams (PSU and MTU) had much easier schedules than us too.

UND is #2 in SF% in the country.  Our advanced stats all say we should have a much better record than we do right now.  Given our injuries, that's incredible.  FYI, Mike McMahon is posting this stuff.

Funny enough, two years later UND is again 3rd in the country in EV Corsi.  Also in the top 10 are the top 5 Pairwise teams.  (UND is 2nd in overall Corsi, behind Duluth.)  I don't get how two years ago UND had some bad luck, but this year the program is headed into the dumpster.  Seems like things aren't as bad as they appear now, even if the season ends next week.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, jk said:

Funny enough, two years later UND is again 3rd in the country in EV Corsi.  Also in the top 10 are the top 5 Pairwise teams.  (UND is 2nd in overall Corsi, behind Duluth.)  I don't get how two years ago UND had some bad luck, but this year the program is headed into the dumpster.  Seems like things aren't as bad as they appear now, even if the season ends next week.

Those are two stats...the main difference is pp%, pk%, and shooting %.  I love corsi, but I am smart enough to realize you have to look beyond it as well.  And to your point...it is two YEARS later.  Bad luck doesn’t run that long.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Those are two stats...the main difference is pp%, pk%, and shooting %.  I love corsi, but I am smart enough to realize you have to look beyond it as well.  And to your point...it is two YEARS later.  Bad luck doesn’t run that long.

I still absolutely think this team has had a lot of bad luck. Look at game tying goal last night. You make your own breaks and all that, but man, how many own goals do we have this season?

2 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I still absolutely think this team has had a lot of bad luck. Look at game tying goal last night. You make your own breaks and all that, but man, how many own goals do we have this season?

If it's bad luck then we have had an extremely long run of it punctuated by really ill timed and in many cases boneheaded penalties and cringeworthy give-aways in front of our net (and don't forget our very high number of missed open nets)

2 minutes ago, Irish said:

If it's bad luck then we have had an extremely long run of it punctuated by really ill timed and in many cases boneheaded penalties and cringeworthy give-aways in front of our net. 

Goodness. Can't it be both? I didn't insinuate in any shape or manner that this was a sole reasoning for a bad season.

8 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Goodness. Can't it be both? I didn't insinuate in any shape or manner that this was a sole reasoning for a bad season.

The inconsistent offensive production heightens these bad bounces and other in-game errors significantly. The margin for error for this team is so small because we don’t score much. If we scored more goals per game, these bad luck bounces might not warrant attention because we’d probably have won some games we lost.  

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

The inconsistent offensive production heightens these bad bounces and other in-game errors significantly. The margin for error for this team is so small because we don’t score much. If we scored more goals per game, these bad luck bounces might not warrant attention because we’d probably have won some games we lost.  

Agreed 100%. I was absolutely not saying nor implying that bad bounces are the reason our season has been a struggle.

• 2 weeks later...