SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2016 - 2017 Season

Frozen4sioux

57 minutes ago, cberkas said:

They are saying he played like trash against BU last year. The Minnesota game he gave up a soft goal with .06 left in the game.

What IHTINB was referring to was when Zane was Gothberg and pretty much single handedly got us to the Four. Zane McIntyre played poorly against BU the next year.

On 6/6/2016 at 7:48 PM, 808287 said:

What about a Hextall as drawing three penalties from a single "passing comment"?

How about a Zach Jones - Attempting to go into the opponents penalty box to rip a guys head off. Can't remember which game that was, but I never saw the kid so fired up.

33 minutes ago, MDtoGF said:

Here is our take on the Hyrnkiw v Tomek debate for back up goalie this season 

https://seamoresports.com/2016/06/10/hyrnkiw-or-tomek/

Nice post. However I don't see Tomek playing 3rd string behind Hrynkiw. I think he'll start a game before Matt does next season honestly. This is to take nothing away from rink, he was outstanding when called upon last season.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, MDtoGF said:

Here is our take on the Hyrnkiw v Tomek debate for back up goalie this season 

https://seamoresports.com/2016/06/10/hyrnkiw-or-tomek/

23 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Nice post. However I don't see Tomek playing 3rd string behind Hrynkiw. I think he'll start a game before Matt does next season honestly. This is to take nothing away from rink, he was outstanding when called upon last season.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with Mr. Beer, here. Rinks had a great run last season, but IMO, unless he improves greatly this summer, I think he's reached his ceiling. Just because he had a good 10 stretch last season doesn't mean Tomek isn't more talented. Tomek would have likely gotten those starts with Cam out had he been healthy. I'd be very surprised to see Rinks as our No. 2.

I'm of the opinion that Cam will start the season as the No. 1 with Tomek taking a start or two early on. I also feel Tomek could very well take the No. 1 spot by season's end. We'll see. Good discussion post, though!

What does everyone else think?

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Agreed, and I honestly think Tomek will push for Cam's spot.  Now if Cam continues to play well we could see a 1a/1b situation.  I have seen Tomek play very recently and he's very good.  Covers a ton of the net with exceptional lateral movement.

32 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with Mr. Beer, here. Rinks had a great run last season, but IMO, unless he improves greatly this summer, I think he's reached his ceiling. Just because he had a good 10 stretch last season doesn't mean Tomek isn't more talented. Tomek would have likely gotten those starts with Cam out had he been healthy. I'd be very surprised to see Rinks as our No. 2.

I'm of the opinion that Cam will start the season as the No. 1 with Tomek taking a start or two early on. I also feel Tomek could very well take the No. 1 spot by season's end. We'll see. Good discussion post, though!

5 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Agreed, and I honestly think Tomek will push for Cam's spot.  Now if Cam continues to play well we could see a 1a/1b situation.  I have seen Tomek play very recently and he's very good.  Covers a ton of the net with exceptional lateral movement.

Good points made. I do think Tomek has plenty of talent but Cam played so well he earned the majority of starts (80 percent or more) the other twenty should be divied out based on earned performance and track record. Rinks has a college track record and plays well in games where the other team does not get a lot of shots.The key point of the article is that Rinks should be the backup until Tomek proves in practice and other areas that he deserves it. Its like giving the backup QB job to the unproven rookie with a ton of talent when you have a guy with some track record right there.. if the younger guy takes it fine, just do not want Tomek getting anything he has not earned. 

44 minutes ago, MDtoGF said:

Good points made. I do think Tomek has plenty of talent but Cam played so well he earned the majority of starts (80 percent or more) the other twenty should be divied out based on earned performance and track record. Rinks has a college track record and plays well in games where the other team does not get a lot of shots.The key point of the article is that Rinks should be the backup until Tomek proves in practice and other areas that he deserves it. Its like giving the backup QB job to the unproven rookie with a ton of talent when you have a guy with some track record right there.. if the younger guy takes it fine, just do not want Tomek getting anything he has not earned. 

Honestly, I think despite practice you have to throw him out there eventually just to see how he handles the pressure. Trial by fire, something Cam Johnson knows all too well and he turned out ok(aka national championship tender :D)

As far as the #1 spot, it's Cams too lose in my opinion. He was spectacular this year and I am in no hurry to replace him after the performances he had last year.

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I can see Cam and Tomek splitting time next season. Before coming to UND, Tomek was very highly regarded. I don't see him as the third string goalie.  Watching him in practice late in the season, I thought his positioning was very good. 

18 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Honestly, I think despite practice you have to throw him out there eventually just to see how he handles the pressure. Trial by fire, something Cam Johnson knows all too well and he turned out ok(aka national championship tender :D)

As far as the #1 spot, it's Cams too lose in my opinion. He was spectacular this year and I am in no hurry to replace him after the performances he had last year.

It is a delicate balance.. Cam's first game against Lake State turned off the views of many fans,and arguably he could have started some other games that season to which may have spelled Zane a bit. Tomek and Rinks being 2/2a im fine with as well. We have three goalies who can start at any time. Rinks gets first go due to his track record and performance. 

1 minute ago, Goon said:

I can see Cam and Tomek splitting time next season. Before coming to UND, Tomek was very highly regarded. I don't see him as the third string goalie.  Watching him in practice late in the season, I thought his positioning was very good. 

I think he can backup/start at some point.. I just don't want anything handed to one of our players... Tomek has no incentive to leave since he could only play in Fargo/lose a year for transfer rules. Him developing every day will lead to him playing its merely when..I think during a few games he will be given a chance.. and so will rinks and this competition may not be settled till half way into the season. 

7 minutes ago, MDtoGF said:

I think he can backup/start at some point.. I just don't want anything handed to one of our players... Tomek has no incentive to leave since he could only play in Fargo/lose a year for transfer rules. Him developing every day will lead to him playing its merely when..I think during a few games he will be given a chance.. and so will rinks and this competition may not be settled till half way into the season. 

Couldn't he play in Major Juniors?