SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2016 - 2017 Season

Frozen4sioux

Our main guys were so miraculously good last yr I did not pay as close attn to many of the younger guys - but yes they were good & I bet learned a lot & will be even better & much more confident this next yr 

2 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

F - these seem like great lines.  We'll see if Bowen cracks the lineup. I guess he wont be getting to much pressure from other guys.

D - Shaw should be top 4.  Solid player.

Unless he takes a big step this offseason, Shaw will begin the season as the #4 defenseman.  I figure pair the freshmen with a veteran, at least to begin the year as they adjust to this level of play.

4 minutes ago, as15 said:

Unless he takes a big step this offseason, Shaw will begin the season as the #4 defenseman.  I figure pair the freshmen with a veteran, at least to begin the year as they adjust to this level of play.

I agree with that thinking however Shaw could be pretty valuable to this year's team.  Having him play with Ausmus will allow him to be more offensive minded (which is what he should be bringing to this year's team).  A third pairing of C. Poolman, Peski, or Johnson shouldn't be that big of a deal with sheltered responsibilities.  Our top four will simply play a ton.  That third pairing will be given win/win situations and will get more PT as they get up to speed. But to your point, Bubs may decide to play the rookie with a vet 5x5.

2 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

PP1:  Pogo, Jost, Boeser, T. Poolman, Ausmus-  Pogo net front presence, Jost playmaker, Boeser finisher low, Poolman howitzer high, Ausmus safety valve

PP2:  Gersich, Gardner, Wilkie, Wolanin, Shaw- Gardner net front presence, Gersich playmaker, Wilkie finisher low, Wolanin howitzer high, Shaw safety valve

PP1:  I wouldn't be surprised if there are 4 forwards with this group, similar to the top unit at the end of this season with CBS, Gardner, and Stecher.  I'm guessing it will be Poolman and Boeser up top, Poganski net front, Jost playmaker, and Gersich.

PP2:  Gardner net front (and faceoffs), Wilkie shooter, Wolanin and Shaw up top, possibly Hoff/JJ as the playmaker, Yon if looking for another shooter.

1 minute ago, scpa0305 said:

I agree with that thinking however Shaw could be pretty valuable to this year's team.  Having him play with Ausmus will allow him to be more offensive minded (which is what he should be bringing to this year's team).  A third pairing of C. Poolman, Peski, or Johnson shouldn't be that big of a deal with sheltered responsibilities.  Our top four will simply play a ton.  That third pairing will be given win/win situations and will get more PT as they get up to speed more.

You're probably right as each one of the freshmen D this year will have played at least 2 full years of junior hockey.  Each and every one of them should be able to handle a sheltered role 5x5, and being spotted on special teams now and then (I expect C. Poolman to be a PKer from the get-go).

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, jk said:

I'm less optimistic.  The team loses two of the best D we've had in a long time in LaDue and Stecher, and two of the best forwards we've had in Caggiula and Schmaltz, plus other important players.  Replacing them requires everyone down the line to step up a notch, and we won't know if they are capable of it until it happens.  I think some will, and some won't, just because that's usually how it works.  Can they be there at the end?  No doubt, although you can say that about perhaps 25 teams each year.  I'll enjoy "good" or "very good" anyway, and I'll be thrilled to be wrong if "great" shows up again.

It feels like a luxury, doesn't it, to acknowledge that we will need a little more luck this year and feel OK about it.  A banner can give you that kind of patience.  To repeat, they will either need some guys to really step up or some bounces in late March/April.   But it will be a fun ride, guaranteed. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, as15 said:

PP1:  I wouldn't be surprised if there are 4 forwards with this group, similar to the top unit at the end of this season with CBS, Gardner, and Stecher.  I'm guessing it will be Poolman and Boeser up top, Poganski net front, Jost playmaker, and Gersich.

PP2:  Gardner net front (and faceoffs), Wilkie shooter, Wolanin and Shaw up top, possibly Hoff/JJ as the playmaker, Yon if looking for another shooter.

I was thinking along these lines as well. I know it would be an "all eggs in one basket" scenario but I'd love to see Poolman, Boeser, Pogo, Gardner, and Jost.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Fetch said:

Were there any really sucessful teams in College Hockey on the Power Play ? 

What is it going to take to ever be really elite in the PP ?

I can't figure it out - especially after seeing passing going full speed on rushes last year that left me breathless - rarely did I see that kind of passing on the PP - a lot of teeing it up on the outside.  

5 hours ago, Fetch said:

Were there any really sucessful teams in College Hockey on the Power Play ? 

What is it going to take to ever be really elite in the PP ?

Michigan was incredible, 32% clip!   SCSU (as has been mentioned 29%).   The majority of the NCHC was in the 18-19% though. Funny to see the B1G have 3 teams all above 21%, clearly shows the weaker of the leagues, plenty of time, space, and poor penalty killing. 

7 hours ago, tho0505 said:

Michigan was incredible, 32% clip!   SCSU (as has been mentioned 29%).   The majority of the NCHC was in the 18-19% though. Funny to see the B1G have 3 teams all above 21%, clearly shows the weaker of the leagues, plenty of time, space, and poor penalty killing. 

Over the length of a season, that Michigan top line would have had big PP success in any conference. 

15 hours ago, burd said:

It feels like a luxury, doesn't it, to acknowledge that we will need a little more luck this year and feel OK about it.  A banner can give you that kind of patience.  To repeat, they will either need some guys to really step up or some bounces in late March/April.   But it will be a fun ride, guaranteed. 

The sane ones will, if we get knocked out in a regional there will still be some crazies questioning Berry's coaching. I completely agree tho, I feel like a lot of pressure is off our guys' shoulders carrying around 16 years without a title. Now the Gophers on the other hand... :D

5 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

The sane ones will, if we get knocked out in a regional there will still be some crazies questioning Berry's coaching. I completely agree tho, I feel like a lot of pressure is off our guys' shoulders carrying around 16 years without a title. Now the Gophers on the other hand... :D

Especially knowing they haven't won a banner in 37 years without a Nodak on the roster. 

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

This is a huge factor moving forward.  Before this year, every team going into the Frozen Four knew how long it had been since UND's last title.  They knew about all the Frozen Four semifinal heartbreaks.  They felt the weight of an entire fanbase and their expectations.  This years team but that all to rest.  I think not having to go into the season, and postseason, with that type of pressure is a huge lift of the teams shoulders and I think they will play a lot more lose.  

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, burd said:

Especially knowing they haven't won a banner in 37 years without a Nodak on the roster. 

I love bringing this point up with Gopher fans when they state that we only have Canadians or Minnesota players. It took a North Dakotan to bring glory back to Dinkytown.    

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Regardless of how you feel about Schlossy's love of DU, they are going to be really good this coming season. Them and BU are probably preseason No. 1 and 2.

Sure DU will be good but I bet we are better!!

• Upvote 4

32 minutes ago, tnt said:

Only they will tell you that UND probably has never won a NC without "x" many Minnesotans.  

This is true, and I wouldn't blame them for saying that.  But the difference is that UND fans do not constantly use the citizenship of its players as an excuse.  And that excuse is so inappropriate.  This are  UNIVERSITIES we are talking about, not neighborhood church leagues.  The whole concept of the University would seem to support as broad and diverse a participation as possible. It's admirable that UMinn can compete so well with in-state kids, and the state supplies D1 talent all across the country.  But using it as an excuse for not winning more (or as much as other programs) is just provincial excuse mongering.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, burd said:

This is true, and I wouldn't blame them for saying that.  But the difference is that UND fans do not constantly use the citizenship of its players as an excuse.  And that excuse is so inappropriate.  This are  UNIVERSITIES we are talking about, not neighborhood church leagues.  The whole concept of the University would seem to support as broad and diverse a participation as possible. It's admirable that UMinn can compete so well with in-state kids, and the state supplies D1 talent all across the country.  But using it as an excuse for not winning more (or as much as other programs) is just provincial excuse mongering.

Oh, I'm with you.  It was obnoxious listening to them spout that mantra every year I watched games at the old Williams Arena.  The funny thing is they weren't provincial in other sports, so it was so hypocritical.

5 hours ago, burd said:

Land of 10,000 Excuses.

2 hours ago, tnt said:

Oh, I'm with you.  It was obnoxious listening to them spout that mantra every year I watched games at the old Williams Arena.  The funny thing is they weren't provincial in other sports, so it was so hypocritical.

My first visit was 1979.  I had never been called a Communist before, and certainly not as many more colorful adjectives.   Thankfully my posse included a couple guys who could serve as bona fide bodyguards.  So it was just talk.  The best part was winning the WCHA title on Saturday night - punctuated by Dave Christian's slapshot empty-netter - breaking a 12 year drought.   

• Upvote 3