SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2016 - 2017 Season

Frozen4sioux

1 hour ago, UND1981 said:

Nick is gone.  Who steps up their game in their soph season (like Nick) for #9?  I say Gersich and Wilkie.

Okay, now that my fits of crying are over. Looking over the roster of who's left, and who's coming in, I'm still excited for this coming season. From what I've heard of Jost, he might be a step ahead of where Schmaltz was when he came in, factor in a year of improvement with Gersich and Wilkie, I think we'll be good on offense. I'm still very nervous about the defense though, that's a whole lot of talent to replace on the defensive side. Unlike many, I still feel that Tomek takes the starting role by the end of the season.

Cograts to Schmaltz....  If you got the deal, good for you!!

I hear a lot of push for Tomek.  What is up with that?   Didn't Cam put up about a .938 save %,  make finalist for Reichert award, and win a national championship?  Where's the love?

I like moving Bowen to defense, I don't see him as a finisher.   His stats at Penticton wont blow you away, He played a lot of D there.   He had one more year Jr's available and my hunch is they plan to have him play defense. 5"11 190 and lightening fast,   He could be a Stetcher type.

36 minutes ago, snova4 said:

Yep. I'm interested to see what Cam looks like missing 3 NHL defenseman in front of him.

58 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Quite the prediction.

Well he will still have a strong D Core in front of him. The positive person in me notes how he stole the Duluth series where they outshot us by a ton both nights with said three NHL defenseman.Cam plays better w more shots faced.. as long as the team limits high percentage chances like normal thats fine. I am ok with losing the SOG battle 40-25 if the other team gets very little if any Grade A's. 

As discussed. I think Rinks and Tomek will end up sharing the backup job by year's end. FWIW Rinks is better against teams that get lower SOG. that is something Cam needs to work on and it will be interesting to see if Cam gets Dev Camp invite to showcase his skills. 

Defense:  How many teams in the history of college Hockey could lose 3 D's to the NHL and still not lose one of their top 2?  They may be a bit green, but they have great leadership.  I would imagine that you would find a lot of college teams would love to have "our troubles" on D.

3 hours ago, UND1981 said:

Nick is gone.  Who steps up their game in their soph season (like Nick) for #9?  I say Gersich and Wilkie.

Wilkie, for sure. Wilkie started showing pieces of a big time player late last year. Gersich isn't as physically gifted as Wilkie, he's gotta get bigger. He's one of the fastest straight line skater I've seen as a freshman, though. Both are going to need to become big time players for us to repeat.

Any word or inkling as to who the captains will be next season? I'm guessing Ausmus will continue to wear the 'C' but who'll wear the 'A's? Also, it'll be interesting to see if UND goes with five alternates like last season to help spread out the leadership responsibilities with the incoming freshmen.

52 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

Any word or inkling as to who the captains will be next season? I'm guessing Ausmus will continue to wear the 'C' but who'll wear the 'A's? Also, it'll be interesting to see if UND goes with five alternates like last season to help spread out the leadership responsibilities with the incoming freshmen.

Ausmus, C
Tucker, A
Simo, A
Boeser, A

That's my call.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Wilkie, for sure. Wilkie started showing pieces of a big time player late last year. Gersich isn't as physically gifted as Wilkie, he's gotta get bigger. He's one of the fastest straight line skater I've seen as a freshman, though. Both are going to need to become big time players for us to repeat.

Gersich played good last season considering the line he was on. I think he starts the season on the first line with Boeser and Jost, he started last year with Boeser and Schmaltz and seemed to have good chemistry with them. I think Wilkie or JJ will be on the second line with Gardner and Poganski but most likely Wilkie I think.

2 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I like Wilkie. But am confused on the physically gifted part. Didn't Olson play instead of him in playoffs because of physicality? Or are you just referring to size when you say physically gifted? 

Sorry, it's been a long day at work. 

2 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

I like Wilkie. But am confused on the physically gifted part. Didn't Olson play instead of him in playoffs because of physicality? Or are you just referring to size when you say physically gifted? 

Sorry, it's been a long day at work. 

The combo of size and skill, yes. Haha no worries.