SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2016 - 2017 Season

Frozen4sioux

12 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Who would be picked ahead of us?  I still have us #1 within our conference.  I must be missing a team that didnt lose a ton of players?  Duluth?

Denver.  They kept 2/3 of their top line up to now, and their best defenseman.  They also have some nice talent coming in.  

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

But the team was very young last year.  You're forgetting to include the fact that our players from last year should continue to develop, especially last year's freshman group.  Even guys like TPoolman and Boeser can take a step forward.  I expect Shaw and Wolanin to have breakout years....the same can be said for JJ, Wilkie, and Gersich.

I see Wolanin as replacing Stecher's role almost instantly. Fits right in nicely with Gage. Sure, he may not be at the level Stechy was at last year, but he's trending his way to that.

Last year's defense could cover for defensive mistakes by forwards and contribute to the offense. 

This year the forwards can't make those mistakes and must not expect much offense from the blue line. 

Put another way, last year's defense allowed the forwards to learn and grow. Now those forwards must provide a similar opportunity to the defense. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

It's amazing to see a roster so young and feel like it's completely stacked. I know we lost a few excellent players, all time greats, but we brought in some really talented guys. It's weird but I think we may have a better team this year of the d is figured out. The firepower is insane.

Also, glad Goopher fans can no longer say UND is just a Canadian Team, with only 4 from our friendly neighbors.  

Don't think you will see near the differential between goals and goals against next year.  That said, if they can get the same kind of clutch play that they got from Caggiula, Boeser, Schmaltz, Stecher , LaDue and Cam Johnson when the game is on the line, then the "W" is all that matters anyway. Jost sounds like the competitive guy that will thrive with the game on the line.  

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/stats/

23 hours ago, tho0505 said:
2016-17 Roster
No. Name Pos. Yr. Hometown (Prev School)
20 [C] Gage Ausmus D Sr. East Grand Forks, Minn. (U.S. NTDP )
30 Matt Hrynkiw G Sr. Saskatoon, SK (Humboldt-SJHL)
3 [A] Tucker Poolman D Jr. East Grand Forks, Minn. (Omaha-USHL)
10 [A] Johnny Simonson F Jr. Grand Forks, N.D. (Lincoln-USHL)
11 Trevor Olson F Jr. Duluth, Minn. (Sioux City-USHL)
14 [A] Austin Poganski F Jr. St. Cloud, Minn. (Tri-City-USHL)
33 Cam Johnson G Jr. Troy, Mich. (Waterloo-USHL)
13 Mike Gornall F So. Irwin, Pa. (Topeka-NAHL)
16 [A] Brock Boeser F So. Burnsville, Minn. (Waterloo-USHL)
18 Chris Wilkie F So. Omaha, Neb. (Tri-City-USHL)
19 Shane Gersich F So. Chaska, Minn. (Omaha-USHL)
21 Danys Chartrand D So. Winnipeg, Manitoba (Flin Flon-SJHL)
22 Rhett Gardner F So. Moose Jaw, SK (Okotoks-AJHL)
24 Christian Wolanin D So. Rochester, Mich. (Muskegon-USHL)
25 Joel Janatuinen F So. Espoo, Finland (Sioux City-USHL)
28 Hayden Shaw D So. Woodbury, Minn. (Dubuque-USHL)
31 Matej Tomek G So. Bratislava, Slovakia (Topeka-NAHL)
35 Ryan Anderson G So. Roseau, Minn. (Roseau High School)
17 Tyson Jost F Fr. Penticton, BC
7 Zach Yon F Fr. Roseau, MN
9 Dixon Bowen F Fr. East Grand Forks, MN
27 Ludvig Hoff F Fr. Norway
6 Colton Poolman D Fr. East Grand Forks, MN
5 Casey Johnson D Fr. Grand Forks, ND
4 Andrew Peski D Fr. Orleans, ON
26 Cole Smith F Fr. Brainerd, MN

I expect good things from our Sophomore class in particular.  The experience they gained last year, especially in the national tournament, will help them greatly.  I think guys like Gersich, Wolanin, and Gardner are all going to have breakout seasons.  This team may be young, but they are young and very talented.  

5 minutes ago, tnt said:

Don't think you will see near the differential between goals and goals against next year.  That said, if they can get the same kind of clutch play that they got from Caggiula, Boeser, Schmaltz, Stecher , LaDue and Cam Johnson when the game is on the line, then the "W" is all that matters anyway. Jost sounds like the competitive guy that will thrive with the game on the line.  

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/stats/

Yeah, I doubt we see nearly as many blowouts, but that doesn't bother me. Scoring in the clutch is what matters. Gersich, Gardner, Pogo and Boeser have shown that ability already.

45 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I see Wolanin as replacing Stecher's role almost instantly. Fits right in nicely with Gage. Sure, he may not be at the level Stechy was at last year, but he's trending his way to that.

I played with some of the UND boys this past spring and they noted that Wolanin was awesome in practice.  I expect big things from him this year.

• Upvote 1

I know folks are predicting Boeser and Jost together. Allow the resident contrarian to make a point:

I recall the pure havoc and utter distress Boeser and Gardner together provided on a Saturday night to WMU (at K-zoo). 

I suspect something like:

Gardner with Boeser and Wilkie. 
Jost with Gersich and Poganski. 
Simonson with Janatuinen and Bowen
Hoff with Olson and Gornall
(scratch: Yon, Smith) 

You can rotate Wilkie, Pogo, and JJ depending on what's working.
Yon and Smith can be spotted in for Olson, Gornall, and Bowen to see what works. 

If there is a freshman (besides Jost) that can jump into the top six, all the better. It'll create a third line that is not only defensively responsible but very dangerous offensively. 

11 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I know folks are predicting Boeser and Jost together. Allow the resident contrarian to make a point:

I recall the pure havoc and utter distress Boeser and Gardner together provided on a Saturday night to WMU (at K-zoo). 

I suspect something like:

Gardner with Boeser and Wilkie. 
Jost with Gersich and Poganski. 
Simonson with Janatuinen and Bowen
Hoff with Olson and Gornall
(scratch: Yon, Smith) 

You can rotate Wilkie, Pogo, and JJ depending on what's working.
Yon and Smith can be spotted in for Olson, Gornall, and Bowen to see what works. 

If there is a freshman (besides Jost) that can jump into the top six, all the better. It'll create a third line that is not only defensively responsible but very dangerous offensively. 

Only issue with your lines is that neither Boeser nor Wilkie have played LW in the NCAA or the USHL.  I would say both Yon and Hoff are substantially ahead of Bowen to start the season based on age and production in a much harder junior league.  I think Bowen, Olson, Gornall, and Yon will be battling it out for those final forward spots to start the season, with Yon and Olson winning out by the end of the year.

Here is what I expect to start the year:

1. Gersich-Jost-Boeser:  Top scoring line, but with three very good, two-way players.  Expect Gersich to take a big step this year.
  2. Janatuinen-Gardner-Poganski:  Shutdown line with offensive ability.  30 point (possibly more) potential from Gardner and Poganski.
  3. Hoff-Simonson-Wilkie:  Gets easy matchups, let Wilkie and Hoff do their thing in the offensive zone.  Simonson provides the veteran two-way presence.
  4. Olson-Bowen-Yon:  Development year for Bowen/Yon, hopefully challenging for a Top 9 spot by midseason. (minus Olson/Gornall, they are what they are).  

1. Wolanin-T. Poolman:  Top-pairing, both elite offensive defenseman at this level.  Expect All-American type season from Tucker.
  2. C. Poolman-Ausmus:  Elite shutdown pair with one of the top in the country, and a steady, older freshman.
  3. Shaw-Peski/Johnson:  Shaw takes the next step offensively this year to go along with solid defense, expect Peski and Johnson to split time most of the year.
  • Upvote 1

PP1:  Pogo, Jost, Boeser, T. Poolman, Ausmus-  Pogo net front presence, Jost playmaker, Boeser finisher low, Poolman howitzer high, Ausmus safety valve

PP2:  Gersich, Gardner, Wilkie, Wolanin, Shaw- Gardner net front presence, Gersich playmaker, Wilkie finisher low, Wolanin howitzer high, Shaw safety valve

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, as15 said:

Only issue with your lines is that neither Boeser nor Wilkie have played LW in the NCAA or the USHL*.  I would say both Yon and Hoff are substantially ahead of Bowen to start the season based on age and production in a much harder junior league.  I think Bowen, Olson, Gornall, and Yon will be battling it out for those final forward spots to start the season, with Yon and Olson winning out by the end of the year.

1. Gersich-Jost-Boeser:  Top scoring line, but with three very good, two-way players.  Expect Gersich to take a big step this year.
  2. Janatuinen-Gardner-Poganski:  Shutdown line with offensive ability.  30 point (possibly more) potential from Gardner and Poganski.
  3. Hoff**-Simonson-Wilkie:  Gets easy matchups, let Wilkie and Hoff do their thing in the offensive zone.  Simonson provides the veteran two-way presence.
  4. Olson-Bowen**-Yon:  Development year for Bowen/Yon, hopefully challenging for a Top 9 spot by midseason. (minus Olson/Gornall, they are what they are).  

* Then you throw JJ up with Boeser and Gardner (as I optioned). 

** I had Hoff centering a fourth line because of his age (three USHL seasons) and experience at center. Most freshmen, even natural centers, don't play center right away. There are exceptions (see: Jost). And when a freshman is put out at center there's normally a defensively responsible winger with them. 

35 minutes ago, as15 said:

Only issue with your lines is that neither Boeser nor Wilkie have played LW in the NCAA or the USHL.  I would say both Yon and Hoff are substantially ahead of Bowen to start the season based on age and production in a much harder junior league.  I think Bowen, Olson, Gornall, and Yon will be battling it out for those final forward spots to start the season, with Yon and Olson winning out by the end of the year.

3. Hoff-Simonson-Wilkie:  Gets easy matchups, let Wilkie and Hoff do their thing in the offensive zone.  Simonson provides the veteran two-way presence.
  4. Olson-Bowen-Yon:  Development year for Bowen/Yon, hopefully challenging for a Top 9 spot by midseason. (minus Olson/Gornall, they are what they are).  

1. Wolanin-T. Poolman:  Top-pairing, both elite offensive defenseman at this level.  Expect All-American type season from Tucker.
  2. C. Poolman-Ausmus:  Elite shutdown pair with one of the top in the country, and a steady, older freshman.
  3. Shaw-Peski/Johnson:  Shaw takes the next step offensively this year to go along with solid defense, expect Peski and Johnson to split time most of the year.

F - these seem like great lines.  We'll see if Bowen cracks the lineup. I guess he wont be getting to much pressure from other guys.

D - Shaw should be top 4.  Solid player.

58 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I played with some of the UND boys this past spring and they noted that Wolanin was awesome in practice.  I expect big things from him this year.

Never understood why Shaw was out there over Wolanin.  I also think he'll have a real noticeable impact this year and step into the Genoway/Schmaltz/Stecher type of role UND has had the past 10 years.

18 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

PP1:  Pogo, Jost, Boeser, T. Poolman, Ausmus-  Pogo net front presence, Jost playmaker, Boeser finisher low, Poolman howitzer high, Ausmus safety valve

PP2:  Gersich, Gardner, Wilkie, Wolanin, Shaw- Gardner net front presence, Gersich playmaker, Wilkie finisher low, Wolanin howitzer high, Shaw safety valve

I would flip flop Ausmus with Wolanin.  Shaw is more offensive, I would not consider him a safety valve.  He averaged roughly a pt/gm his last year in the USHL from the point.

2 hours ago, as15 said:

I agree that Hoff will be in the mix right off the bat, but don't be deceived by Bowen's junior numbers. He played defense at Penticton and was injured during the season as well.   Bowen will be in the mix for a 4 line role, extra d-man right off the bat.