SiouxSports.com Forum

Former Players

geaux_sioux

54 minutes ago, homer said:

The only thing he could do better is take it down from behind the pay firewall from the Forum/Herald.  

The hit piece written by the forum was as irresponsible as journalism gets and was written for one reason only.  It would be responsible of them to clarify that UND could do nothing at the time and was actually in full compliance.  

I’ll be waiting for that effort involving anything in regards to NDSU football.  That would involve taking the knee pads off and finding their way out from under Entz’s desk. 

They can only report what's there to report.

Miller's article fills in the obvious gaps in McFeely's. 

That said, if there's stuff to report and they aren't, that's despicable, no matter where. 

On 6/23/2022 at 11:57 PM, Sioux>Bison said:

No but the terms used in a title 9 hearing are very similar to the ones used in a legal trial. The decision maker is essentially the same thing as a judge who finds the accuser guilty or not guilty. 

The burden of proof is much higher in a criminal trial: more likely than not v. beyond a reasonable doubt. 

In District Court in ND (unless a bench trial is specifically requested) the judge is NOT the decision maker as to the facts, or as to guilt, the jury is. The judge only interprets the law. 

Having been in both situations, an administrative hearing is much more akin to a municipal trial on a low level misdemeanor or a traffic violation, where the determiner of the law and the facts is the same person, which most people would agree is not the appropriate way to adjudicate a sex crime. This is why anything worse than a B Misdemeanor in ND is prosecuted in District Court. 

I'm not saying administrative hearings don't have their place, they certainly do. Especially in situations such as these, where there might not be enough evidence to prosecute someone per se, but the alleged victim doesn't feel safe on campus and would like a voice. That said, banning someone from campus for 5 years is a big step in-and-of-itself, and there should be a higher burden of proof and impartial tribunal (instead of a solitary hearing officer) for sex assault claims in Title IX hearings. The accused should also have the right to an attorney provided at University expense, especially considering there are CVIC advocates who work within UND's Title IX office (I believe they should be a separate entity, and merely help facilitate the investigation). 

But, again, it's not a court of law. 

Former football player Vern Lysford passed away Friday. Condolences to his family.

He attended University of North Dakota and graduated from the University of Minnesota-Morris in 1983. He played football at both colleges. He was a member of UND's 1979 NCC Championship team which was inducted into their Hall of Fame.

https://www.duborefuneralhome.com/obituary/Vern-Lysford

2 hours ago, Siouxperman8 said:

Thanks for letting us know.  Vern was truly one of the good guys. 

The cat's out of the bag at Bisonville so I'll say it. 

Vern was "Answer Guy" there ... and VMeister here. 

I'm going to miss that dry, wry sense of humor. :( 

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

The cat's out of the bag at Bisonville so I'll say it. 

Vern was "Answer Guy" there ... and VMeister here. 

I'm going to miss that dry, wry sense of humor. :( 

RIP - my kind of guy.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, UND1983 said:

Cochran transferred to Arkansas Pine Bluff.  what a move, he really showed us.

If he gets to start and/or play more instead of being a reserve, and that's what he wanted.....good for him and I wish him well.  Sometimes I think they do go in the portal because they think they can go to a better school/football program, sometimes I think it's because they may want more playing time instead of being a 5th WR.  Hard to tell in his case what his mindset was when he went into the portal.  

Jordan Raanan

@JordanRaanan

·

Follow

Four signings official for Giants as they report to training camp: S Andrew Adams DE Nick Williams WR Marcus Kemp OT Kamaal Seymour

These players were released to create space: DB Henry Black DT Jabari Ellis WR Travis Toivonen DB Maurice Canady

9:59 AM · Jul 26, 2022

I hope for the best for Travis

It looks like Waletzko has a shoulder injury.   The story says he'll be sidelined for a while unfortunately.     They did call UND and FBS school though, so that sure helps.   https://www.wfaa.com/article/sports/nfl/cowboys/dallas-cowboys-matt-waletzko-injury-leaves-cowboys-even-more-vulnerable-at-swing-tackle/287-d7b37202-f4ba-4d88-9632-b9c4d2b3425d

1 hour ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Jordan Raanan

@JordanRaanan

·

Follow

Four signings official for Giants as they report to training camp: S Andrew Adams DE Nick Williams WR Marcus Kemp OT Kamaal Seymour

These players were released to create space: DB Henry Black DT Jabari Ellis WR Travis Toivonen DB Maurice Canady

9:59 AM · Jul 26, 2022

I hope for the best for Travis

That sucks, sounded like he was killing it in those pre-camp practices. 

22 hours ago, Hawkster said:

It looks like Waletzko has a shoulder injury.   The story says he'll be sidelined for a while unfortunately.     They did call UND and FBS school though, so that sure helps.   https://www.wfaa.com/article/sports/nfl/cowboys/dallas-cowboys-matt-waletzko-injury-leaves-cowboys-even-more-vulnerable-at-swing-tackle/287-d7b37202-f4ba-4d88-9632-b9c4d2b3425d

Same shoulder he dislocated vs Illinois State?  Hope not.

• 4 weeks later...