SiouxSports.com Forum

Former Players

geaux_sioux

5 hours ago, Kab said:

When coaches recruit players they must talk with the players high school coaches.  If so where was Feeney  on this ?

they must be able to get grades and talk about character with the coach?

I am fairly sure Feeney was pretty honest with all college coaches. Bubba and his staff were just more interested in getting the talent and less interested in hearing about the problems. 

• Downvote 3

11 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

Missouri State should have known better too, even more so than Bubba. But if your argument is “look, even Bobby Petrino did it so Bubba ain’t so bad”, that says a lot.

That is not my "argument". We all know your infatuation with our fan site, appears that MS is prime for your insights. Bubba gave Otis a shot, and stood by him during his early academic issues, when you are recruiting against the #1 school in the division sometimes you have to. We know SU has thrown student athletes who don't pan out on the scrap heap. That is not UND's way. There is always a silver lining as his brother chose UND. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

I am fairly sure Feeney was pretty honest with all college coaches. Bubba and his staff were just more interested in getting the talent and less interested in hearing about the problems. 

Dude, just go away.  Now you are making stuff up generally.  Of course UND gave him a chance, why wouldn't they?  He hadn't done anything even close to this level prior.  They can only do so much and hope a kid grows up.

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, Mama Sue said:

Just asking because I do not know… do Bison who infiltrate this forum get warnings and get put in Sioux jail like we do? I just don’t know.

No. Being a secret fan boy/girl of UND isn’t against forum rules. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Mama Sue said:

Just asking because I do not know… do Bison who infiltrate this forum get warnings and get put in Sioux jail like we do? I just don’t know.

Seriously, though, I think most of them are older than average throwback types from the DII days, when everyday life was at Civil War pitch between the two fan bases. They’re trying to relive those days of yore through the message boards, trying to delight in infighting and us feeling down —about anything really — and any other nuggets of schadenfreude where they can.  Oh and they’re probably self proclaimed defenders of the herd should anyone dare to speak ill of the almighty Bizon brand. To each their own, I guess.  

On 6/23/2022 at 11:07 AM, siouxfan512 said:

Precisely why he should hold a press conference or make a public statement. Not to clear the air on the whole situation or the school, but to keep his own name clean. If he did nothing wrong, he has nothing to hide. I know I wouldn't want my name mixed up with any of this mess.

My assumption is that Bubba is being told to not talk about it and let the University handle it. That being said, I'd give the University a big old middle finger and make clear that I had no involvement in letting a kid play despite knowing what the issues and allegations were.

I also give Bubba the benefit of the doubt here, but it is easy to be collateral damage if you don't look out for yourself as well.

On 6/23/2022 at 11:11 AM, siouxfan512 said:

He doesn't have to give details, but I don't see any issue with making a statement that he never played Otis while he was aware of any sort of investigation or allegations (if true).

If the University is going to leave him in a position to have his own rep tarnished, then he shouldn't care too much about the vulnerability of the University. I think there is a way of handling this without going too in depth and providing too many details. Just my opinion.

On 6/23/2022 at 11:15 AM, siouxfan512 said:

I don't disagree with Dan here. This isn't Bison/UND rivalry crap. I said in a different post, If he or the University did nothing wrong, then there is nothing to hide. And maybe they did nothing wrong here. He could have been allowed to play, based on limited information, or behind closed doors conversations where it was determined he could play until the outcome of the investigation was complete. 

Get the AD and the Coach together with the PR department and figure out how to handle the situation. To me, ignoring it or staying completely silent on it, just makes you look worse, but maybe that's just me.

I would think there is a middle ground between not saying anything and having a full blown press conference open to questions.

On 6/23/2022 at 11:28 AM, siouxfan512 said:

Makes sense to not open yourself up to legal issues, but without clearing you name or involvement the stink will follow Bubba around, even if he did nothing.

I also don't know what legal issues would arise from that. I don't believe there is a legal obligation to bench a player during an investigation. Had he played him after the outcome of the investigation, that would be different. So to me, it really comes down to, what did he know and what was he ok. As @iramurphy said, "Its none of our business" ..... though in today's world of social media and immediate public reaction (and overreaction), it doesn't really matter if it is our business or not. People for opinions based on limited information and run with it, and like it or not those opinions have the internet as a platform and can cause damage. If it were me, I'd want my name clear rather than letting rumors linger. 

Would something like this be so bad? If they can't say that honestly, then maybe there was some sketchy decision making going on?

Our decisions with Otis and his playing time were based on the limited information we received. With the information available to us at the time, we were comfortable with Otis participating in all team activities. As more information was made available, the AD and myself adjusted our approach and as everyone is aware, Otis is no longer a part of the UND Football program. Due to the sensitivity of the matter, I cannot provide additional details, but can assure you that under no circumstances would a player be allowed to participate with this program if it was determined they had taken part in the types of acts described in this case.

My only question on some of this, is how does this get handled by the University and a Title IX investigation, but not by the authorities?

On 6/23/2022 at 11:31 AM, siouxfan512 said:

I'm not saying you have to discuss the specifics of Otis. I would think you could discuss your general approach as a coach though. Its not as though coaches have never commented on players or punishments in the past. Isn't this precisely why you have legal and PR departments?

5 posts of nonsense and you don’t care much about this issue? A minute of research could have spared us from all of this babble. Bubba and the university can’t talk about this issue. No need for ridiculous speculation of what happened or what they should do. Nothing more will ever be released from the university. 

4 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

5 posts of nonsense and you don’t care much about this issue? A minute of research could have spared us from all of this babble. Bubba and the university can’t talk about this issue. No need for ridiculous speculation of what happened or what they should do. Nothing more will ever be released from the university. 

Once again, its a message board. Just putting my thoughts out there, kind of sad that you had to scan through and link them all .... but no, I don't care enough to go research Title IX any further. Thanks for your interest though.

27 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

Tom Miller had a very good interview explaining the IX process.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/college/how-a-und-title-ix-sexual-assault-investigation-works

The only thing he could do better is take it down from behind the pay firewall from the Forum/Herald.  

The hit piece written by the forum was as irresponsible as journalism gets and was written for one reason only.  It would be responsible of them to clarify that UND could do nothing at the time and was actually in full compliance.  

I’ll be waiting for that effort involving anything in regards to NDSU football.  That would involve taking the knee pads off and finding their way out from under Entz’s desk. 

• Upvote 2