SiouxSports.com Forum

Former Players

geaux_sioux

2 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Because that could put Bubba and the University in a vulnerable position legally. This information is protected by the Data Privacy laws. You have media people and some moron attorney speculating. There are other attorneys that would be more than happy to represent the accused or the alleged victim if Bubba or anyone else makes a comment that gives either party the opportunity to go after big money. All UND officials need to simply relate they have no comment. I believe we have no legal right to the details of this situation beyond what was released. 

This is correct. 

• Upvote 2

A coach also has to trust his players to a certain extent.  You want to believe you've only brought in good people to be a part of your team.  You know these kids and want the best for them.

Bubba:  Did you do this?
Otis:  No, it was consensual.  Here's a text from her inviting me over.  (I don't know if there were any texts, just an example)
Bubba:  Ok, then you still have a spot on the team pending the outcome of the investigation.

I guess I don't really hold it against Bubba for that.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, iramurphy said:

Because that could put Bubba and the University in a vulnerable position legally. This information is protected by the Data Privacy laws. You have media people and some moron attorney speculating. There are other attorneys that would be more than happy to represent the accused or the alleged victim if Bubba or anyone else makes a comment that gives either party the opportunity to go after big money. All UND officials need to simply relate they have no comment. I believe we have no legal right to the details of this situation beyond what was released. 

So he can't disclose if he knew about the investigation while playing him?

• Downvote 1

48 minutes ago, Bison Dan said:

It serves no purpose.  To do so opens one up to further questions that involve protected information.  When you can’t further comment, it leads to further speculation from media, and others who normally have no experience dealing with issues of this magnitude. There is no reason for Chaves, Bubba, or anyone else from UND to comment further. There is no need to know. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, iramurphy said:

It serves no purpose.  To do so opens one up to further questions that involve protected information.  When you can’t further comment, it leads to further speculation from media, and others who normally have no experience dealing with issues of this magnitude. There is no reason for Chaves, Bubba, or anyone else from UND to comment further. There is no need to know. 

If the Bison had an all American player accused of 2 rape charges you guys would be all over it with demands who knew what and when did they know it.

1 hour ago, Bison Dan said:

If the Bison had an all American player accused of 2 rape charges you guys would be all over it with demands who knew what and when did they know it.

No one was accused of “charges”. Reportedly there was an accusation of sexual assault.  If there were charges, that would change how this would be handled. NDSU administration and staff would likely be smart enough to refuse to elaborate on protected information. It serves no purpose. It is none of our business. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Msmith said:

You are wrong. Otis was accused and brought in front of a Judge in a Title IX case. He was found guilty of violating Title iX for sexual assault. This was not just an accusation! 

Which municipal or district court judge heard this case?  The university is not a court of law.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, iramurphy said:

Once again iramurphy…you are spot on IMHO

way above Bubba’s pay grade…not meant as an insult…a smart man would keep his mouth shut and carry on…which I guess he did and is doing….

4 hours ago, Mama Sue said:

Because this is WAY above Bubba’s pay grade. I am sure he reported what was being said…. I mean, locker room talk. Some of those players must have come to him. Then Bubba’s job is to wait….

Been there, done that over something pretty serious. A casual statement that this should be looked into…. Heard nothing NOTHING for 6 weeks. Then a meeting. The director of nursing said she looked into it. I was like WHAT? That 2 minute conversation is looking into it? Did you ask me to review the chart? No.

Sorry, I give Bubba the benefit of the doubt and he absolutely can not comment publicly. And why would he? The AD can clear his own name..

Precisely why he should hold a press conference or make a public statement. Not to clear the air on the whole situation or the school, but to keep his own name clean. If he did nothing wrong, he has nothing to hide. I know I wouldn't want my name mixed up with any of this mess.

My assumption is that Bubba is being told to not talk about it and let the University handle it. That being said, I'd give the University a big old middle finger and make clear that I had no involvement in letting a kid play despite knowing what the issues and allegations were.

I also give Bubba the benefit of the doubt here, but it is easy to be collateral damage if you don't look out for yourself as well.

4 hours ago, iramurphy said:

He doesn't have to give details, but I don't see any issue with making a statement that he never played Otis while he was aware of any sort of investigation or allegations (if true).

If the University is going to leave him in a position to have his own rep tarnished, then he shouldn't care too much about the vulnerability of the University. I think there is a way of handling this without going too in depth and providing too many details. Just my opinion.

2 hours ago, Bison Dan said:

1 hour ago, UND1983 said:

You are not intelligent.

I don't disagree with Dan here. This isn't Bison/UND rivalry crap. I said in a different post, If he or the University did nothing wrong, then there is nothing to hide. And maybe they did nothing wrong here. He could have been allowed to play, based on limited information, or behind closed doors conversations where it was determined he could play until the outcome of the investigation was complete. 

Get the AD and the Coach together with the PR department and figure out how to handle the situation. To me, ignoring it or staying completely silent on it, just makes you look worse, but maybe that's just me.

I would think there is a middle ground between not saying anything and having a full blown press conference open to questions.

9 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I don't disagree with Dan here. This isn't Bison/UND rivalry crap. I said in a different post, If he or the University did nothing wrong, then there is nothing to hide. And maybe they did nothing wrong here. He could have been allowed to play, based on limited information, or behind closed doors conversations where it was determined he could play until the outcome of the investigation was complete. 

Get the AD and the Coach together with the PR department and figure out how to handle the situation. To me, ignoring it or staying completely silent on it, just makes you look worse, but maybe that's just me.

I would think there is a middle ground between not saying anything and having a full blown press conference open to questions.

FERPA

3 minutes ago, Mama Sue said:

Those are some valid points but does he leave himself open to legal issues…. Best to take the high road… and say nothing.

Makes sense to not open yourself up to legal issues, but without clearing you name or involvement the stink will follow Bubba around, even if he did nothing.

I also don't know what legal issues would arise from that. I don't believe there is a legal obligation to bench a player during an investigation. Had he played him after the outcome of the investigation, that would be different. So to me, it really comes down to, what did he know and what was he ok. As @iramurphy said, "Its none of our business" ..... though in today's world of social media and immediate public reaction (and overreaction), it doesn't really matter if it is our business or not. People for opinions based on limited information and run with it, and like it or not those opinions have the internet as a platform and can cause damage. If it were me, I'd want my name clear rather than letting rumors linger. 

Would something like this be so bad? If they can't say that honestly, then maybe there was some sketchy decision making going on?

Our decisions with Otis and his playing time were based on the limited information we received. With the information available to us at the time, we were comfortable with Otis participating in all team activities. As more information was made available, the AD and myself adjusted our approach and as everyone is aware, Otis is no longer a part of the UND Football program. Due to the sensitivity of the matter, I cannot provide additional details, but can assure you that under no circumstances would a player be allowed to participate with this program if it was determined they had taken part in the types of acts described in this case.

My only question on some of this, is how does this get handled by the University and a Title IX investigation, but not by the authorities?

5 hours ago, iramurphy said:

Officials have already confirmed there were accusations and an investigation. Bubba and the athletic dept could absolutely acknowledge if and when they knew of the accusations without violating any laws or policies. They just choose not to. 

4 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

FERPA

I'm not saying you have to discuss the specifics of Otis. I would think you could discuss your general approach as a coach though. Its not as though coaches have never commented on players or punishments in the past. Isn't this precisely why you have legal and PR departments?

2 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

Officials have already confirmed there were accusations and an investigation. Bubba and the athletic dept could absolutely acknowledge if and when they knew of the accusations without violating any laws or policies. They just choose not to. 

Or they could say nothing and let the process play out the way it should/did in the correct lanes.  They could take the Bison approach and say “it will be handled internally” and lock the media out of practices.  

6 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I'm not saying you have to discuss the specifics of Otis. I would think you could discuss your general approach as a coach though. Its not as though coaches have never commented on players or punishments in the past. Isn't this precisely why you have legal and PR departments?

What is the point of having a press conference or releasing a statement if your not going into specifics.  Looks worse to be honest.  

A statement was released for the article….

However, a university spokesman released a statement saying, "The University has followed all appropriate policies, as well as state and federal laws."

I am not sure of what Bubba could have done differently from a legal standpoint, but I hope this soon passes for him and the team.  I would guess on a team level, he would have dealt much differently with the Otis situation last fall.  The lackluster season and team performance makes much more sense now.  Had to be some horrible "team" dynamics at play during the season, especially the way it played out for Otis, the team and Bubba.  

• Upvote 2