SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 Season

shep

Fun watching those highlights.......35-0 at one point.....we completely dominated them at their place.  They beat Montana and took Pac 12 ASU into the 4th quarter last year.  Definitely have high hopes for this year.  Grady coming back and the line coming together will be a big key to taking that next step.   It still is a bit scary though that we are one injury away (Studsrud) from going backwards and being a 6-5 team.    ESU isn't the dominant team at the top in the Big Sky anymore....it's not a top heavy league like it had been, a lot of balance and good teams which means we can't let up in any of our games.  

This could be a tall order.  However I believe our defense will be much better than last year.  My question is will we shut anybody out this year.  Last year Wyoming was our closest at 13 points followed by UNC.I see incentive on two teams for sure.  Weber St. and Idaho St.   #leavenodoubt.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Nodak78 said:

This could be a tall order.  However I believe our defense will be much better than last year.  My question is will we shut anybody out this year.  Last year Wyoming was our closest at 13 points followed by UNC.I see incentive on two teams for sure.  Weber St. and Idaho St.   #leavenodoubt.

I would agree that overall we should be better.  It obviously hurts to lose Will.....but our secondary should be better, we have three safeties this year in case there is an injury to one of them.  All in all we should just have more experience and another year in the system under the belt for the returning guys.  Hopefully that will all translate out onto the field on Saturdays, will be fun to watch.  We'll find out in the second week how much our secondary has improved! 

28 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

I would agree that overall we should be better.  It obviously hurts to lose Will.....but our secondary should be better, we have three safeties this year in case there is an injury to one of them.  All in all we should just have more experience and another year in the system under the belt for the returning guys.  Hopefully that will all translate out onto the field on Saturdays, will be fun to watch.  We'll find out in the second week how much our secondary has improved! 

A few teams will be better this year. It's just how it goes. No one saw UND and or PSU coming last year. But,  I like our chances.  Our better should be mo' better than most everyone else's better. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

For those of you who may have forgotten, UND was playing exceptional football to end the 2015 regular season. This is of course disappointing in that the FCS playoff selection committee screwed up and left UND out of the field; nevertheless, UND has a SIGNIFICANT number of returners for 2016 and an easier schedule. 2016 will be a fun one!

Here's the highlights from last season's final game when the Fighting Hawks were playing really good football:

I want to see a whole season of Clive George. 

• Upvote 4

20 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

For those of you who may have forgotten, UND was playing exceptional football to end the 2015 regular season. This is of course disappointing in that the FCS playoff selection committee screwed up and left UND out of the field; nevertheless, UND has a SIGNIFICANT number of returners for 2016 and an easier schedule. 2016 will be a fun one!

Here's the highlights from last season's final game when the Fighting Hawks were playing really good football:

This video reminds me of how much Studsrud improved in a year. His freshmen year accuracy was a major concern. Then this last game of his sophomore year and every throw is exactly where it needs to be, including some rather difficult throws down the field and to the sidelines. His improvement was immense and you add his legs and he's exactly what the offense needs. Keep him healthy, get steady play from the offensive line, and let Santiago run loose and UND's offense will be tough to stop. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Feff said:

This video reminds me of how much Studsrud improved in a year. His freshmen year accuracy was a major concern. Then this last game of his sophomore year and every throw is exactly where it needs to be, including some rather difficult throws down the field and to the sidelines. His improvement was immense and you add his legs and he's exactly what the offense needs. Keep him healthy, get steady play from the offensive line, and let Santiago run loose and UND's offense will be tough to stop. 

I love the running threat from the QB position.....but I like Studsy to be healthy, too.  2 things come to mind, 1) only use his running as needed meaning if the run game is clicking with the RBs, stick to that 2) Split Studsy out and have a Wildcat package with Santiago taking a direct snap

2 hours ago, Feff said:

Studsrud reminds me a little of Kelby Klosterman, one of the best pure athletes we have ever had at QB.

During the spring game Studs and Clive had one connection where #7 put the ball up and had it drop where only #1 could snag it inside the 5 yard line near the sideline. I think you can see that play right at the beginning of the Spring game highlight video. Looks like Studs and Clive have been working on that one for a while. A tease of what's to come?

2 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

During the spring game Studs and Clive had one connection where #7 put the ball up and had it drop where only #1 could snag it inside the 5 yard line near the sideline. I think you can see that play right at the beginning of the Spring game highlight video. Looks like Studs and Clive have been working on that one for a while. A tease of what's to come?

Hopefully it will be, that was a nice pass.  It looks similar to the one at the 6:47 mark in the Cal Poly highlight video.  

1 hour ago, UNDColorado said:

I like him too. Now the question is if we re-sign with midco. If so who will be the play by play? 

I'd like the Cogswell Cannon, but it's probably too much of a time commitment for him.  He's younger than the norm, actually knows football from playing QB at UND, great on-air personality and perspective when doing games with Big Eddie and Hammer in the past.

Sorry, will move to Jack is Back.