SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 Season

shep

On April 2, 2016 at 10:23 PM, geaux_sioux said:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-football/4000376-und-football-und-interior-line-getting-speed

A little hint by coach Knaupf? 

“We’ll find out more in the fall at center,” Knauf said. “It’s a two-man race right now, but it could be a three-man race when we get going in the fall. We might be doing some shuffling in the fall based on who’s coming in.”

Mostly referring to Grady shuffling things up but possibly a little about the Eagan kid coming in, too.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

How has Oliveira looked, does he look like he is back to 100%, has he been fully participating in practices? 

I hope he is 100% by the time fall camp starts, if not already.  He was an X factor in the run game and added a nice power punch last season. He will be a monster this year if he is full go.

44 minutes ago, Old School Guy said:

I hope he is 100% by the time fall camp starts, if not already.  He was an X factor in the run game and added a nice power punch last season. He will be a monster this year if he is full go.

I'd be surprised if he was not 100% at this point. There has been talk about him potentially being back for the playoff (had the committee not completely screwed UND). If he could have played back then, I'd imagine he is good to go by now. Hopefully nothing is holding him back right now, because for a kid that was already a bruiser, he needs to be hitting the weight room hard to become even stronger and more physical.

Crazy how solid we will be at RB this year after it being such an uncertainty last year.  Both Santiago and Oliveira should be even better this year with a year under them.  Although Santiago could be better than last year but not end up with more yards, that will depend on the O line.  Also having 2 other strong RB's may give him more of a rest.......although he barely played in the second half of some of the games last year when he had around 200 yards at halftime....crazy what he would have done if he played a full 4 quarters in all of the games.  His rushing totals were also impressive given the egg that was laid by the offense in the second half verses Drake and against NDSU.  I doubt he'll have 6 quarters like that again this year.   Even though it's nice to spell him to give him some rest, it's always nice having him out there because he can take it to the house on any given play.  Hopefully he is working on holding on to the ball so that won't come up and be a concern again this year.  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

Crazy how solid we will be at RB this year after it being such an uncertainty last year.  Both Santiago and Oliveira should be even better this year with a year under them.  Although Santiago could be better than last year but not end up with more yards, that will depend on the O line.  Also having 2 other strong RB's may give him more of a rest.......although he barely played in the second half of some of the games last year when he had around 200 yards at halftime....crazy what he would have done if he played a full 4 quarters in all of the games.  His rushing totals were also impressive given the egg that was laid by the offense in the second half verses Drake and against NDSU.  I doubt he'll have 6 quarters like that again this year.   Even though it's nice to spell him to give him some rest, it's always nice having him out there because he can take it to the house on any given play.  Hopefully he is working on holding on to the ball so that won't come up and be a concern again this year.  

Still gotta develop some play action stuff and get some big time production from our receiving corps less teams just load the box on us all day.  Makes for a tough day slogging through the line for our talented  RBs. 

• Upvote 2

Based on what I've heard Nevermann is now the number 2 guy, and some feel that he could potentially start at any other Big Sky school that doesn't have a RB named Santiago.  So, assuming this is true, I wonder if Oliviera could potentially use a redshirt year and Gordon take the snaps as the #3 (assuming limited injuries this year)?  Just a thought........

1 hour ago, Hambone said:

Based on what I've heard Nevermann is now the number 2 guy, and some feel that he could potentially start at any other Big Sky school that doesn't have a RB named Santiago.  So, assuming this is true, I wonder if Oliviera could potentially use a redshirt year and Gordon take the snaps as the #3 (assuming limited injuries this year)?  Just a thought........

Odds are a RB will go down with an injury during the year, 4 deep isn't the worst problem to have.  Santiago might be the most versatile to bump out to the slot on occasion to get others some touches.  Also, some 2 back sets, meaning 2 HBs as Nevermann, Oliviera, and Gordon have some 'beef' for blocking, yet pose a greater running threat than our FBs.  (random thoughts)  Is it safe to say Norberg is #1 FB?

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Odds are a RB will go down with an injury during the year, 4 deep isn't the worst problem to have.  Santiago might be the most versatile to bump out to the slot on occasion to get others some touches.  Also, some 2 back sets, meaning 2 HBs as Nevermann, Oliviera, and Gordon have some 'beef' for blocking, yet pose a greater running threat than our FBs.  (random thoughts)  Is it safe to say Norberg is #1 FB?

Everything you mentioned is exciting and true. In some ways, the losses at wide receiver are made-up by the fact UND has such great backfield talent and depth. Using Santiago on the jet-sweep motion and slot bubble screen type stuff would be a great way to get him into space so he has more opportunities to showcase his speed and agility. Nevermann, Olivera, and Gordon will all be quality between-the-tackle runners, I'm sure. Fullback will be interesting, but I'm sure Norberg will get that job (Coyne might be in the running too, I suppose). 

Excited to have an established starting QB going into the season; that coupled with the work getting done in the HPC and I expect the passing game to take a nice step forward this season. Yes wide receiver numbers/depth are questionable, but Clive Georges and Luke Stanley are capable receivers and I expect at least 1 other guy to step up (Alex Reed, Stetson Carr or even Chad Bartosh?). Would like to see true freshman WR or to-be-determined transfer make an impact this fall, also.

• Upvote 1

For WR, I think Alex Reed will be the #1 this fall if he keeps on with how he is performing right now.  With Reed, Georges and Stanley I think we have three very good options.  However, interested in how Carr, Blackwell, Dulin, Bartosh, and the true freshmen perform.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Everything you mentioned is exciting and true. In some ways, the losses at wide receiver are made-up by the fact UND has such great backfield talent and depth. Using Santiago on the jet-sweep motion and slot bubble screen type stuff would be a great way to get him into space so he has more opportunities to showcase his speed and agility. Nevermann, Olivera, and Gordon will all be quality between-the-tackle runners, I'm sure. Fullback will be interesting, but I'm sure Norberg will get that job (Coyne might be in the running too, I suppose). 

Excited to have an established starting QB going into the season; that coupled with the work getting done in the HPC and I expect the passing game to take a nice step forward this season. Yes wide receiver numbers/depth are questionable, but Clive Georges and Luke Stanley are capable receivers and I expect at least 1 other guy to step up (Alex Reed, Stetson Carr or even Chad Bartosh?). Would like to see true freshman WR or to-be-determined transfer make an impact this fall, also.

What the HPC helps with is ball skills on deep balls, those 50/50 type throws.  As much as the receivers our b-backs will benefit greatly from this.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hambone said:

For WR, I think Alex Reed will be the #1 this fall if he keeps on with how he is performing right now.  With Reed, Georges and Stanley I think we have three very good options.  However, interested in how Carr, Blackwell, Dulin, Bartosh, and the true freshmen perform.

Heard this, too, Reed is turning into the Real Deal Holyfield.

27 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Why would they that's less time we get to see the mighty Bobcats from Montana State almost half a dozen times. :silly:

Root Sports is limited to the  Seattle, Denver and Pittsburgh regions, so it wants games with local teams in those regions.

Therefore, Montana, MSU, and EWU get heavy play.  SUU, NAU, Weber, Sac St, Cal Poly, ISU, and UND aren't much interest to Root.  We need to get football on Fox Sports North to get wider coverage.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

Root Sports is limited to the  Seattle, Denver and Pittsburgh regions, so it wants games with local teams in those regions.

Therefore, Montana, MSU, and EWU get heavy play.  SUU, NAU, Weber, Sac St, Cal Poly, ISU, and UND aren't much interest to Root.  We need to get football on Fox Sports North to get wider coverage.

.....and Fox College Sports.

• Upvote 1

The Big Sky has been dependent on TV contracts that are Montana-centric since Nevada, Boise St, and Idaho left.  We get a piece of that contract and we are free to broadcast whatever games are not picked up  by Root.  That can be pretty sweet if we can pick up the Twin Cities on our own.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Matt said:

I would feel better about this conference if they felt like putting the team on TV once

http://www.bigskyconf.com/news/2016/3/31/FB_0331161414.aspx

This is how the conference WANTS to treat UND, but the 'Hawks need to FORCE the conference to respect them. Leave no doubt and beat up the Big Sky Conference with the physical-type of football Bubba is promoting. 2016 is shaping up to be the perfect stage for UND to do just that; leave no doubt and beat up on the BSC teams. As NDSU, SDSU, and UNI have revealed, UND sits in a recruiting bed that allows for FCS success via physical football; Bubba and crew are capitalizing on that and soon UND will be right alongside the top tier BSC schools: Montana, Eastern Washington, and Montana State. 

• Upvote 2