SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 Season

shep

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Very nice piece. It's interesting and exciting in terms of next season's possibilities. 

If resources permit, I thinks Midcontinent should produce a weekly 1/2 hour football program with Bubba during the football season, similar to hockey with Brad Berry. There would be an audience for it if it was done as NDSU does their football show on NBC; go through latest game highlights, preview future game, and add in a weekly spotlight on a player, coach, alumnus, or position group. It would only help increase the local following of UND football and help locals realize there is growing hype for the program. 

I can certainly find 30 minutes a week in the office to watch a program like this. I hope something like this develops. Of course winning helps. 

• Upvote 1

Any media attention will get the "so-so" fan to start grabbing on, as long as they are winning.  Bubba and crew have done an amazing job at the latter part in only 2 full seasons.  Being the last team out of the playoffs last year has finally built an excitement around the football program that will lead into big anticipation for this coming year and the media must jump on it.  A bit like Midco did is fantastic.  

• Upvote 4

I almost started a separate thread on having a Sioux football show a couple of weeks ago, asking why we no longer have one.  In the 90's there was 30 minute Sioux football show every week during the season that would go through the highlights and then they'd bring a couple of players on as well.   I didn't like it when the football coverage just got jammed into a part of the UND Extra thing since it was covering all sports and couldn't get as many highlights nor have players come on.  I'm sure the players felt it was a nice privilege to be able to come on the show in recognition for having a nice game. 

• Upvote 2

I remember watching that show.  If I remember they would go over the game with some film and have an offensive, defensive and special teams player.  Then go over the next opponent and league standing.  They also had a scout team player of the week.  It was on Sunday nights.  I always watched that. 

They could call it The Bubba Show.  

12 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

I almost started a separate thread on having a Sioux football show a couple of weeks ago, asking why we no longer have one.  In the 90's there was 30 minute Sioux football show every week during the season that would go through the highlights and then they'd bring a couple of players on as well.   I didn't like it when the football coverage just got jammed into a part of the UND Extra thing since it was covering all sports and couldn't get as many highlights nor have players come on.  I'm sure the players felt it was a nice privilege to be able to come on the show in recognition for having a nice game. 

7 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

I remember watching that show.  If I remember they would go over the game with some film and have an offensive, defensive and special teams player.  Then go over the next opponent and league standing.  They also had a scout team player of the week.  It was on Sunday nights.  I always watched that. 

They could call it The Bubba Show.  

Absolutely, Midcontinent needs to seriously consider producing a half-hour football program during the football season. The format would be simple (previous game highlights w/ Bubba, next game preview, conference standings, and interviews/spotlight on player and/or coach) and effective in increasing the following of UND football. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Absolutely, Midcontinent needs to seriously consider producing a half-hour football program during the football season. The format would be simple (previous game highlights w/ Bubba, next game preview, conference standings, and interviews/spotlight on player and/or coach) and effective in increasing the following of UND football. 

They produce one every Tuesday during season, don't they?  UND Sports Extra.  

Is that what you are talking about...or just a football show?

17 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

They do talk a fair amount of football on that show during the season, but they talk other sports on there as well and only devote part of the show to football.  There use to be a 30 minute football show that was solely a football show that showed more highlights, and talked more in depth about the upcoming matchup for the next week, had player specials on it  It also had players of the week on the show for an interview.  

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

They do talk a fair amount of football on that show during the season, but they talk other sports on there as well and only devote part of the show to football.  There use to be a 30 minute football show that was solely a football show that showed more highlights, and talked more in depth about the upcoming matchup for the next week, had player specials on it  It also had players of the week on the show for an interview.  

Hosted by stache...Pat Sweeney ! 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UND-1 said:

UND Sports Extra "lumps" all non-hockey sports into a single half-hour slot with little time for Bubba to go through highlights and preview the next game. Not to mention, player/coach spotlight stories are not done every week; however, if done every week they would certainly help UND football with program exposure. 

See NDSU football program on NBC and UND hockey with Brad Berry on Midcontinent. Simple and effective. 

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

UND Sports Extra "lumps" all non-hockey sports into a single half-hour slot with little time for Bubba to go through highlights and preview the next game. Not to mention, player/coach spotlight stories are not done every week; however, if done every week they would certainly help UND football with program exposure. 

See NDSU football program on NBC and UND hockey with Brad Berry on Midcontinent. Simple and effective. 

And like before, I would like see it kept local with wdaz. The sports guy, Phil, is real good at what he does and seems to be a down to earth kinda of guy.  

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

And like before, I would like see it kept local with wdaz. The sports guy, Phil, is real good at what he does and seems to be a down to earth kinda of guy.  

I agree, or play it on ABC stations across ND so the whole state can see more UND football. NDSU has NBC ND, UND can have ABC ND.

Here is the list for others to more easily see:

Top 10 40's of '16 #DayByDay #NorthDakotaStrength

Bollant Santiago Reyes Murray Harris Disterhaupt Palmborg Gordon Lawrence Rodgers

They are more in a list format on his tweet, so I'm assuming they are in order of fastest first?  No WR's in the top 10....no wonder why we say we need to improve in that area.  Although I would think Clive would be on there, but maybe he didn't run or something for some reason?  Surprised that Reyes is number 3. 

25 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Bollant Santiago Reyes Murray Harris Disterhaupt Palmborg Gordon Lawrence Rodgers

They are more in a list format on his tweet, so I'm assuming they are in order of fastest first?  No WR's in the top 10....no wonder why we say we need to improve in that area.  Although I would think Clive would be on there, but maybe he didn't run or something for some reason?  Surprised that Reyes is number 3. 

If this is fastest to slowest I can't wait to see more of Bollant in action. I thought Santiago was fast and now we have someone faster, nice to have speed on both sides of the ball.

1 hour ago, Sioux94 said:

Reyes has always been one of the fastest players on the team. He's also one of the most talented players on the roster, in my opinion. True All-American type of ability for 2016. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Reyes has always been one of the fastest players on the team. He's also one of the most talented players on the roster, in my opinion. True All-American type of ability for 2016. 

I agree, and especially now with Will gone he is one of the best players on the team, I just never realized he was that fast before.  Sometimes only watching games on tv or video feed you don't get the true sense of some of the players, I miss that.   My first thought was I was surprised, and thought it was unusual for a safety to be the third fastest player on a team, but maybe I'm wrong on that part.  It's certainly a kudos to him, but also probably indicates we need a bit more speed in some of the other areas. 

7 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

Assuming Clive didn't run-

4 LBs on the list.......is that overly impressive or are the wideouts and corners unimpressive? 

Disterhaupt also top 3 verticle and top 5 Pro test, impressive!!

Neither Clive nor Reed ran a 40.  Clive would be top 3, and possibly 1st but his start isn't great.  But running a post or crossing route doesn't really require a top start.  I am guessing Clive would have the fastest 60 yard.  Reed is likely top 10 40.  Clive and Reed would knock 2 LBs out of top 10, seems to make sense.