SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 Season

shep

13 hours ago, Rock Chalk Fighting Hawk said:

I have been out of the football loop for a while, is it true that Grady will be back for fall camp next season? If so that would be tremendous news.

11 hours ago, Ozzie82 said:

That is correct. He'll be back in the summer. 

happy-dance-calvin-and-hobbes.jpg

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Ozzie82 said:

That is correct. He'll be back in the summer. 

Wow, this is incredible news!!! This will benefit him greatly.  Three more years of weight training and blocking for the best back in the fcs will make him millions.  As I have mentioned many times, I truly believe he has the talent that warrants a very high draft pick, my thinking is a 2nd rounder.  Best thing is, he will receive a degree.   It's a win win win win situation.  

My preseason excitement has officially hit another level! I'm buzzing right now!!  Und potentially has 3 all Americans for next year: Cole, Grady and Santiago.  If they can pick up some help over the summer at wr position and maybe at the qb position for backup they will be a very tough out for everyone!!!   Keep it going bubba!!

• Upvote 1

Can't wait for football to start! 

I really hope there are some more TV options this year. Last year it was fun to watch the Drake game on Fox College Sports, and Big Sky TV works ok, but it would be really nice to be able to watch more on TV without having to log on and hook up my computer.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Can't wait for football to start! 

I really hope there are some more TV options this year. Last year it was fun to watch the Drake game on Fox College Sports, and Big Sky TV works ok, but it would be really nice to be able to watch more on TV without having to log on and hook up my computer.

Agreed. Big Sky TV is great but I also get FCS and would like to watch them on the tube.

18 minutes ago, UNDfan2013 said:

IMO, looks like the OL is shaping up to be a strength. Talent, work ethic and commitment in that spring group of players.  Seems like a very cohesive group and that is very important in OL success. 

If the pieces all into place....(and anything can happen, I understand):

Stockwell, Bell, Aplin?, Taylor, Grady.

With Rooney and new-comer Nguon battling Aplin for starting center.

Leaving a rotation of:

Cox, Miller, Stiner, Blair and maybe Helgren if he impresses. I am also intrigued by this walk-on Devan Hunt that Valpo tried hard to get from us. Seems to have good size already out of H.S., and I think Valpo (understanding that it is Valpo) thought he might make their two deep right away.

Speaking of the OL and what could have been, others may have known this but it was news to me -- according to a recent SI article, Joe Haeg was all set to come to UND but the offer was rescinded after the head coaching change. The article did not elaborate on who did the rescinding, if it was a new coaching staff decision or a de-commit on the part of the player.  

Here's the link:

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/04/20/joe-haeg-nfl-draft-carson-wentz-north-dakota-state

2 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Speaking of the OL and what could have been, others may have known this but it was news to me -- according to a recent SI article, Joe Haeg was all set to come to UND but the offer was rescinded after the head coaching change. The article did not elaborate on who did the rescinding, if it was a new coaching staff decision or a de-commit on the part of the player.  

Per my source, UND decided to offer Windfeldt and thus gave Haeg a preferred walk on.  Recruiting is a crap shoot.

9 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Here's the link:

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/04/20/joe-haeg-nfl-draft-carson-wentz-north-dakota-state

Head coaching change?  Mussman was hired in December of 2007 and coached through the 2013 season.

Haeg was recruited during the 2011 recruiting class cycle.

22 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Head coaching change?  Mussman was hired in December of 2007 and coached through the 2013 season.

Haeg was recruited during the 2011 recruiting class cycle.

Yeah, go figure..... Don't know what they meant by that. 

43 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Leaving a rotation of:

Cox, Miller, Stiner, Blair and maybe Helgren if he impresses. I am also intrigued by this walk-on Devan Hunt that Valpo tried hard to get from us. Seems to have good size already out of H.S., and I think Valpo (understanding that it is Valpo) thought he might make their two deep right away.

Center and left guard are probably the biggest unknowns right now due to game day experience.  Will be a fight for those starting spots (as it should be for all positions).  Also need to develop strength at two deep in all positions since were pretty thin during spring.

55 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Leaving a rotation of:

That right side (taylor, Grady) is going to be SOB for opposing defenses.  

5 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

I would really like some confirmation about Grady and whether he'd even be able to play next season. If it all works out, that will be fantastic!

Ozzie82 says he is coming back this summer.  Since there has been nothing official or confirmed by UND coaching staff, my guess is there may still be some issues??

9 hours ago, UNDfan2013 said:

Ozzie82 says he is coming back this summer.  Since there has been nothing official or confirmed by UND coaching staff, my guess is there may still be some issues??

I'm trying to figure out how Grady can be eligible since he wasn't on campus for spring semester.   I get it that he completed and passed all his classes from fall semester but how can anyone drop out like that and come back.   It's good if it works, except that he missed spring ball, but I can't wrap my head around this being OK with the NCAA.

1 hour ago, TRex said:

I'm trying to figure out how Grady can be eligible since he wasn't on campus for spring semester.   I get it that he completed and passed all his classes from fall semester but how can anyone drop out like that and come back.   It's good if it works, except that he missed spring ball, but I can't wrap my head around this being OK with the NCAA.

He has to have so many credits toward a degree after each year of school to compete the next year. Those include summer credits, each semester, online, etc. He probably had a good load last fall. He may have taken some classes online. He may need to take X number of credits this summer. He could probably take a few credits online this summer. They don't look at each individual semester alone for progress, it is progress toward a degree each year. For Division I it includes 18 credits for a regular academic year or 24 for the full year.

They also have a waiver appeal process for progress toward a degree. If the student shows the ability to get back on track and successfully get a degree within 5 years, but has some kind of situation that interferes such as health problem or family issues, then the NCAA can waive the progress requirement 1 time as long as the student and the school have a plan in place to get the student caught up.

7 hours ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

He has to have so many credits toward a degree after each year of school to compete the next year. Those include summer credits, each semester, online, etc. He probably had a good load last fall. He may have taken some classes online. He may need to take X number of credits this summer. He could probably take a few credits online this summer. They don't look at each individual semester alone for progress, it is progress toward a degree each year. For Division I it includes 18 credits for a regular academic year or 24 for the full year.

They also have a waiver appeal process for progress toward a degree. If the student shows the ability to get back on track and successfully get a degree within 5 years, but has some kind of situation that interferes such as health problem or family issues, then the NCAA can waive the progress requirement 1 time as long as the student and the school have a plan in place to get the student caught up.

It's my understanding that some of the credits he is taking this semester will also transfer over to UND as well.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

I was so hoping it was a DB monitoring a no passing zone ...